Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: IIM - Indian Institute of Management [#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
the Economist Intelligence Unit found the IIM was the toughest business school in the world to get into, with more than 70,000 applicants fighting for 200 places.

I don't find that argument plausible. The reason for such a large number of applicants to even apply to the entrance test may be the relatively low cost of entrance application.

• The entrance fee is very low compared to GMAT + TOEFL. The entry fee of GMAT/TOEFL is one of the deterrents for applicants who are not serious at all for the preparation.
  • Just the number of applicants doesn't make any business school tough to get into. I am curious - how many of those applicants score in the range of acceptance of IIMs and other schools? If a particular US B-school receives 10000 applications with 9500 having GMAT and acads much below the school's expectations, would you rate it 'tougher to get into' compared to a B-school that receives 4000 applications with 2500 applicants matching the school's expectations in terms of GMAT and acads?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tehcalvin wrote:
sm176811 wrote:
the Economist Intelligence Unit found the IIM was the toughest business school in the world to get into, with more than 70,000 applicants fighting for 200 places.

I don't find that argument plausible. The reason for such a large number of applicants to even apply to the entrance test may be the relatively low cost of entrance application.

• The entrance fee is very low compared to GMAT + TOEFL. The entry fee of GMAT/TOEFL is one of the deterrents for applicants who are not serious at all for the preparation.
  • Just the number of applicants doesn't make any business school tough to get into. I am curious - how many of those applicants score in the range of acceptance of IIMs and other schools? If a particular US B-school receives 10000 applications with 9500 having GMAT and acads much below the school's expectations, would you rate it 'tougher to get into' compared to a B-school that receives 4000 applications with 2500 applicants matching the school's expectations in terms of GMAT and acads?

I agree. May be the cost of application is one reason for so many people applying for institutes. Another important reason is that beyond IIM India has very few quality management institutes which can match to IIM.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
tehcalvin wrote:

Agreed there is no GMAT and the cost is cheaper. But they DO have an entrance exam called CAT and the standard is relatively higher than GMAT or TOEFL. The CAT is held only once a year, so unlike GMAT one has to wait for a year to retake!

You can see some of the sample questions here: https://questions.ascenteducation.com/

Agreed GMAT is more expensive... but with respect to the standard of living in India where average annual salary is Rupees 34551 [Ref: https://cee45q.stanford.edu/2003/briefin ... india.html ], the approx 1000 rupees CAT fees is relatively high! So, chances are relatively few people would try to apply to IIMs for fun!

tehcalvin wrote:

Agreed again! BUT, this is how I see it...
Top US Schools has the following approximate acceptance rate:
--> Harvard - 12%
--> Stanford - 9%
--> Wharton - 15%
--> Chicago - 28%

[Ref: https://www.geocities.com/topmbaprograms/Top5MBA.htm]

Now let us disect the numbers and see how it appears for IIMs. Comparatively, IIM has an acceptance rate of 0.286 %!

Even if 9/10 of the applicants are bogus, that leaves us with 7000 genuine applicants fighting for 200 positions! Which equates to 2.857% acceptance rate! Compare that to the figures above!

Thank you!
- J
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Another important point in India is the ratio of no of graduate students / No of quality institutes. Its a demand and supply equation and that's why the rush is. If people will have options they will apply judiciously. In recent times MBA has become very hot so people are just rushing for it.Although 1100 is not very small amount but it is not that big also. Average income for india may be 34k but average is not true indicator. India has vast differential among cities and villages. Almost evry third students in Metros appears for CAT. So many students in college first appears for CAT considering it as a preparatory exam for state CET which comes around May. Even though they know they can not crack they appear for CAT to judge their potential. This looks funny but people follows it every year.
I do not want to undermine importance of IIMA. It is HBS of india. If HBS has maximum no of CEOs in U.S. same is true for IIMA in India.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Don't know if this has any bearing on the topic but I know of a number of people who have been accepted in Harvard or Wharton and not in IIMA...

I can vouch that most of the people fighting for these seats are extremely serious about doing MBA and the cost of GMAT/TOEFL is not a consideration. Very often they give the GMAT but more as extra prep for the CAT (IIM entrance).

As said above, a big problem is that the CAT is held only once a year and it is the entrance exam for all the B Schools in India, so every single person has to do their best that one day. Another problem is also the supply and demand - few seats and lots of applicants.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]