Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:28 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome! 8-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great Score, Pelihu!!!
CONGRATULATIONS...

You did awesome... Have a great party!! :beer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I hear your reasoning, but complaining about a 730? Yikes!

Congrats. 730 is an awesome score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats buddy!! :band
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats.
Party hard!!!!!!!!

Retake on a 730?? Oh come on.....pelihu....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats!!!!!

All the best for your apps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
good job. congrats buddy.

all the best...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My man!!

Congratulations dude, there was no doubt in my mind that you would score 700+...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome score man!!! :-D

I have no idea why would somebody want a retake after 730!!!

Please write more about how you found the Verbal Section as compared to the level of questions in OG 11 and GMAT Prep..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats pelihu... good score with such short preparation!!! I don't think you need to retake with 730 :wink:

best of luck
:band
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
deepak232 wrote:
Awesome score man!!! :-D

I have no idea why would somebody want a retake after 730!!!

Please write more about how you found the Verbal Section as compared to the level of questions in OG 11 and GMAT Prep..

What I really wanted to do was report back that I got an 800, and then announce that I was going to go camping :P But someone already did that this week.

Regarding the verbal section, I actually thought it was easier than the OG & GMATprep questions I had worked on. My conclusion is that I must have made some stupid mistakes early on, and the result was that I was given somewhat lower level questions.

Thanks to all with well wishers. It's truly awesome to have some people to chat with about this test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats, pelihu ! 97%ile and a retake sound like an oxymoron :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pelihu,

C'mon!! 730 - what are you complainin' about. Go out, have a party, and do whatever you planned to do next (except retaking GMAT again...). You've been a strong performer in your tests - a couple points here and there is always OK. So what's your target school list?

on a completely unrelated sidenote - You're a lawyer right? I've always wanted to ask a real life lawyer if their life is anything like what they show on TV shows like practice etc. :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Way to go Pelihu! I'm taking mine at the end of this month.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
necromonger wrote:
Pelihu,

C'mon!! 730 - what are you complainin' about. Go out, have a party, and do whatever you planned to do next (except retaking GMAT again...). You've been a strong performer in your tests - a couple points here and there is always OK. So what's your target school list?

on a completely unrelated sidenote - You're a lawyer right? I've always wanted to ask a real life lawyer if their life is anything like what they show on TV shows like practice etc. :D

Hi Necromonger,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm still trying to narrow down my target schools. I currently live in the Bay Area, so Berkely and Stanford would be ideal in terms of location. I think Wharton, Chicago & Columbia would be ideal in terms of what I'd like to study. I have past connections with UCLA and Michigan, so they are currently on my list as well. After that, I don't know, but I think I'll probably revise with some additions and subtractions after I do some more research and eventually apply to 5-6 total because none of these schools are sure things, even for people with great all-around qualifications.

Yes, I am a lawyer, but I gave that up about 4 years ago to start my own business. My life as a lawyer was nothing like The Practice. I was a capital markets & finance attorney, so my life consisted of reading, negotiating and drafting huge (hundreds of pages) contracts and agreements. On the other hand, my life as a summer associate was like a big party. Unfortunately, it's no party after they reel you in and you start work for real.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
First of all, HUGE congrats!

Honestly I dont understand why people with 730's talk about retaking. Sure, a 740 or 750 would have been nice, but you have to realize that it wouldn't make a difference on your application. That is, no school is going to accept you because you got a 750, and no school is going to reject you because you got a 730. Similarly, and most importantly, no school would change their view of your application between a 730 and 750. Sure, you could go 730 to 780, thats possible, but the odds are slim, and even so, I still don't think it would make a tangible difference.

There's also the question of diminishing returns. Is it worth another 100 hours to increase by 1% percent? 2%? 3% .... No not really. Your time is far better spent working on your essays.

From my experience, the GMAT pales in comparison to the essays in terms of difficulty...

You need to write outlines for your 2-3 recommenders. You need to have a backup recommender if someone flakes. You need to confirm titles, salary, dates of employment, bonuses, number of employees, addresses, phone numbers, names, annual revenues -- everything about each employer you've ever had so you dont make any mistakes on your app. You need to revamp you resume completely. You need to go back and remember what you did in college and what dates you were part of what clubs. You need to do the same for post-college. You need to get transcripts from schools, transcribe them into excel, confirm and reconfirm them. You need to think of your key accomplishments at each job. You need to think about interesting personal stories. You need to attend open house events. You need to go to classes. You need to reach out to existing students and get material for your essays. You need to take notes about the schools, research them, develop thoughts around them. You need to order your GMAT scores. You need to develop timelines for your application. You need to confirm dates, sign up for events, reconfirm deadlines, and recheck them again. You need to prepare statements explaining gaps in your history. You need to address any poor performances. You need to think of leadership examples and examples of weaknesses. You need to write essays that demand 2000 words in 400 words. You need outlines for your essays so you stay focused. You need to proofread them. You need to re-proofread them. You need to fill in exact dates at school, matriculation dates, exact dates for each term too. You need to create folders for schools and manage each process. You need to have checklists for each one. You need to order transcripts for some, for others you don't. You have to keep on your recommenders to keep working on it, but you have to do it politely. You have to prepare for interviews, refine thoughts and ideas and ensure you can communicate an effective idea. Worst of all, you get to reread your essays again and again always questioning if what you are saying is good, or if there is a better story, or a stronger example, or if its too cheesy, or if its not cheesy enough, or if its too personal, or if its too business like, or if its too long or too short, or too flattering or too whimsical or lacks enough humility, or reads strange, or has spelling mistakes, or has grammar errors, or has run on sentences. You need to check the font sizes, as some schools specify both font size and type. You need to triple check word counts. You need to sign up for the sites, identify interesting courses, weave information about the schools into your apps, customize each application, tailor each essay, massage each word and you have to do it all by October.

In other words, use your time wisely.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rHYME,

YOU ARE SCARING ME!

arghhhhhhhhhh
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]