Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Take a GMATPrep now.

Whatever you get on that is going to be, in all likelyhood, as high as you can expect on test day. Almost everyone I know does a little bit (or a lot) worse on the real thing than on GMATPrep, or at best, they match. So if your target score is 650, and you get a 620 on GMATPrep, don't expect to pull that other 30 out of a hat on test day. I've seen some people BEAT their GMATPrep scores, usually by 10 or 20 points, but these tend to be people at the 720-740 range.

My advice? Take the practice exam and unless you beat your target score by 10 points, postpone the exam now while it costs you $50.

When you take the GMATPrep, ABSOLUTELY do the WHOLE EXAM. Do NOT skip the essays. I'll say it one more time. When you take your practice test, DO NOT SKIP THE ESSAYS. I can't tell you how many posts I've seen: "My score sucks! I burned out!" followed by "Did you practice with the essays?" and then "No... I didnt think I needed to, but by the time I got to verbal I was totally DEAD."
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for your advice. I will take the GMAT Prep today or tomorrow and then decide if I want to reschedule. I have time till 17th to reschedule it with $50.

Are both the GMAT Preps the same level, in terms of what score people usually get?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am not able to find the Prep tests tp download from mba.com? Do I have to request someone to get access?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agree with rhyme. Take GMATPrep (entire, with essays) today/tomorrow. Then decide if you like that score. If you don't, postpone by at least 1 month (it takes most people 2-3 months of studying to maximize their score) and prep like all us other crazy fools on this board. Also, most all of the schools say that either round 1 or 2 is about the same in terms of competitiveness... don't push it... if you don't like your GMATPrep score, then push back exam 2 months and shoot for Round 2. Only exception to this is Columbia, in which Early Decision makes a big difference. Good luck.

Marcus
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am not able to find the Prep tests to download from mba.com? Do I have to request someone to get access?

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks, but the description says

GMATPrepâ„¢ software features:

* A 15-question practice section for each type of GMAT® question, with answers and explanations for each question

I was expecting a full fleged GMAT exam and not just 15 questions
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
:lol: just do it!!!! download the software, see what it offers and take the exam... the software has additional practice problems in addition to the test!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's right. Just do it man... :lol:

If I may, I would like to suggest not to take the GMAT Prep two days in a row... You might want to take one exam later close to the actual test day.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I gave the Prep 1 today and it was a dismal failure -- 530 :(

I felt very disappointed and the same time I am happy to know I have a chance to reschedule. I am planning to push my test to a month.

Though this was just a practice exam for some reason I was very tensed and was not able to maintain it cool. At one point in Q I thougt I was doing it well, because I started to get diffcult questions. I spent more time on difficult questions to get them right and time started running out. This made me feel nervous and then I think I got a bunch of them wrong somewhere in the middle of the Q section. I started getting easy questions then...I then lost hope of a qood score. I got 19 questions wrong in Q.

The same mood carried over to the V section. Somehow I felt I could handle V better than Q. I had a couple of mins left, but then the final score made me feel I cannot handle this test well.

Please help me out.....

Thanks for all your time
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
you need more than a month to really improve this believe me
just a month is not enough to conquer 700
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
CHEN wrote:
you need more than a month to really improve this believe me
just a month is not enough to conquer 700

He never said his target score was 700 though...

Whats your target score?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
oh I'm stuck in CR traps by making assumption that's not mentioned. :lol:

my target is any score more than 650
this is enough for my target school but I will come back to conquer 700
later before I finish MBA
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
700 is my dream score, but I do not want to get less than 650.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
CHEN wrote:
oh I'm stuck in CR traps by making assumption that's not mentioned. :lol:

I could not resist to answer this!!! :lol:

1st VERY IMPORTANT LESSON ON CR:
ASSUMPTION IS NEVER STATED/MENTIONED!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
just_do_it wrote:
700 is my dream score, but I do not want to get less than 650.

I dont think 1 month will be enough to jump 120 points to be honest. The reality of it is this -

To really be sure you will pull a 650 on the real exam, you should be scoring higher than that on practice exams. Most people tend to score a little bit lower on their real exam than on the practice exams - you should aim for 670 or better on practice tests to be confident of a 650.

Based on my experience, jumping 120 to 140 points is going to take work - I'd guess upwards of two months, and quite possibly three. This is, of course, just my view, so I'll see what others say, but you should prepare yourself mentally for a signficant push. My 130 point jump took me near 300 hours to achieve. A friend of mine jumped 80 points, and worked even harder than I did.

I'm not trying to scare you here - you can do this - but you need to be realistic as to what its going to take. Percentages help put the numbers in perspective. A 530 is 47%, a 650 is 84%. A 670 is 88%. A 700 is 93%. To go from 530 to 700, in percentage terms, were talking about doubling your performance. Thats a significant jump.

My advice:

Create a 2 month schedule that covers all the material. Take one practice exam every 2 weeks at first, then 1 a week for the last month. If, by the time you get to the end of the 2 month mark, you are scoring 660 or better on your last three exams, you are ready.

Remember:

The GMAT is not a test of intelligence...The GMAT is a test of endurance, both in studying for it, and in taking the exam.

Originally posted by rhyme on 16 Aug 2006, 16:58.
Last edited by rhyme on 16 Aug 2006, 17:16, edited 3 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would re-schedule to around 3 months later. If you're very confident and you are consitently scoring in your range for your practice tests, You can always pre-pone. Admissions deadlines for next Fall typically go well into next Spring.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts