Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19749 [119]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1732 [53]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19749 [5]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Pharmaceutical companies spend more than ever on research and developm [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The correct answer - option B.

Given:

1. Pharma companies are spending more on R&D BUT
2. Number of new drugs patented is coming down AND
3. Also, profits for the industry as a whole are increasing

What can explain the above three trends?

What if pharma companies, rather than develop many new drugs, are investing their R&D into developing fewer drugs, but the drugs developed are high demand (needed in the market)?

In such a case, the R&D investment will result in fewer new drugs, but those few drugs will earn profits for these companies, and the industry as a whole.

Lets look at the options.

A. Government regulations concerning testing requirements for novel drugs have become steadily more stringent.

This can explain the first 2 trends - despite more money in R&D, fewer drugs are being patented as testing requirements are more stringent. But this cannot explain the third trend - increase in profits.

B. Research competition among pharmaceutical companies has steadily intensified as a result of a general narrowing of research targets to drugs for which there is a large market.

Correct - as per our pre-thinking. This option means that the R&D investment (increasing) is used to create only those drugs which have a large market (demand). As this large market gets served, the industry overall will see profits. All 3 trends are explained by option B.

C. Many pharmaceutical companies have entered into collaborative projects with leading universities, while others have hired faculty members away from universities by offering very generous salaries.
Generous salaries can explain the use of R&D money, it may even indicate that rather than develop new drugs, a lot of money got eaten up in salaries (thought this is not necessarily true). But we still cannot explain the profit trend. Incorrect.

D. The number of cases in which one company's researchers duplicated work done by another company's researchers has steadily grown.
Yet again, this only explains the first and second trends (more R&D invested into copying work for existing drugs, which means fewer new drugs). But yet again, this cannot explain the profits.

E. The advertising budgets of the major pharmaceutical companies have grown at a higher rate than their profits have.
Advertising budgets completely irrelevant to this passage.

Hope this helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: Pharmaceutical companies spend more than ever on research and developm [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:
Pharmaceutical companies spend more than ever on research and development; yet the number of new drugs patented each year has dropped since 1963. At the same time, profits—at constant 1963 dollars—for the industry as a whole have been steadily increasing.

Which of the following, if true, is the single factor most likely to explain, at least in part, the three trends mentioned above for money spent, drugs patented, and profits made?

A. Government regulations concerning testing requirements for novel drugs have become steadily more stringent.

B. Research competition among pharmaceutical companies has steadily intensified as a result of a general narrowing of research targets to drugs for which there is a large market.

C. Many pharmaceutical companies have entered into collaborative projects with leading universities, while others have hired faculty members away from universities by offering very generous salaries.

D. The number of cases in which one company's researchers duplicated work done by another company's researchers has steadily grown.

E. The advertising budgets of the major pharmaceutical companies have grown at a higher rate than their profits have.

CR47561.01

R&D spending is increasing.
No of patents is reducing.
Profits (even after adjusting for inflation to make them comparable) are increasing.

So pharma sector is spending more on R&D - in which case you would expect more patents - but there are fewer patents - in which case you would expect less profit - but there is more profit.

What explains these three trends?

Since Govt regulations have become more stringent, it will lead to more money invested in R&D and perhaps fewer patents. But there is no explanation for increased profits. With fewer patents, one would expect less profit.

Competition among pharma companies has intensified (leading to more money pumped into R&D to get best researchers, equipment, faster tech etc). Research targets have become fewer so higher competition and fewer patents. But these drugs have a large market (high demand) leading to big bucks once the patent is obtained. This explains all three trends.
So say there are only 10 research targets and 4 pharma companies are vying for these drugs. They invest more money in R&D to get these drugs out quickly. So one company is able to get 3 patents, another 2 patents, yet another 2 patents and the fourth gets 3 patents. Once they get their patents, each drug has a large market (many people suffering from these ailments) so they make a lot of profit.

May explain higher R&D cost but nothing else.

Explains higher R&D cost while getting fewer patents but doesn't explain large profits.

Irrelevant

Answer (B)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Kudos
I have a question about the wording of this question and that is something that made me pick the wrong answer choice A. The question asks -

"Which of the following, if true, is the single factor most likely to explain, at least in part, the three trends mentioned above for money spent, drugs patented, and profits made?"

I thought by including "at least in part" the question is asking to pick a choice that explains two of the three factors and thus, I picked A.

Now I am not sure what's the significance and true meaning of this ask? I am a non-native and maybe that is part of the reason why I am not getting this wording.

Maybe any of you folks can please explain this? AndrewN (My go to Mentor over last several asks) or the Great GMATNinja (I think this question needs to pick your brain :P), hope you folks had a good Easter break!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
IN2MBB2PE wrote:
I have a question about the wording of this question and that is something that made me pick the wrong answer choice A. The question asks -

"Which of the following, if true, is the single factor most likely to explain, at least in part, the three trends mentioned above for money spent, drugs patented, and profits made?"

I thought by including "at least in part" the question is asking to pick a choice that explains two of the three factors and thus, I picked A.

Now I am not sure what's the significance and true meaning of this ask? I am a non-native and maybe that is part of the reason why I am not getting this wording.

Maybe any of you folks can please explain this? AndrewN (My go to Mentor over last several asks) or the Great GMATNinja (I think this question needs to pick your brain :P), hope you folks had a good Easter break!

Hello, IN2MBB2PE. I am happy to help, and I would be willing to bet that I get fewer requests than GMATNinja, so here are my thoughts. You are on to something in bringing at least in part to light. This is an atypical phrasing for a GMAT™ question, since there is apparently more room to justify a reasonable answer choice, one that draws from the information presented in the passage. However, you may have overemphasized that part and glossed over a more patent question phrasing that proves crucial here: most [likely to explain]. We see this in most strengthens, would most weaken, would best resolve, and so on. Watch those superlatives. They are telling you that one answer choice stands above the rest, in keeping with the logic of the passage, so close enough is not good enough. In short, the question is little different from a more ordinary question—it just looks different at first, and the details are slightly different (e.g., we need to track three key pieces of information instead of two).

I think GMATIntensive has done an excellent job above explaining how the correct answer is the only one that, without too much stretching, touches on all three trends. If you have further questions, though, feel free to ask.

Thank you for bringing me into the dialogue.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Pharmaceutical companies spend more than ever on research and developm [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:

Couple of quick questions

Explains higher R&D cost while getting fewer patents but doesn't explain large profits.

Hi KarishmaB - I didnt think (D) explained bullet 1 (Higher R&D costs) what so ever

Just because there is more 'duplication' going on as per (d) -- why should any company's R&D go up ?

If anything - R & D should come down... Why ? Well here is the sequence of events

(1) Company X spends a LOT on R&D
(2) Company Y duplicate the products of Company X
(3) Company X wont spend MORE on R&D -- if anything, Company X will start spending LESS on R&D. Why ? Well, because Company X will say "hmmm there is HIGHER chance that our products WILL BE COPIED / Duplicated BY comapny Y" Why then should I (Company X) -- spend so much money on R&D when Company X might copy my product

KarishmaB wrote:

Same thing with (c) also -- how does (c) cause Higher R&D exactly ?

Paying salaries of new hires comes from a different budget all-together vs the budget for R&D, no ?

I thought (C) didnt touch on ANY of the 3 points (Higher R&D, Fewer patented drugs, Higher profits)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:

Couple of quick questions

Hi KarishmaB - I didnt think (D) explained bullet 1 (Higher R&D costs) what so ever

Just because there is more 'duplication' going on as per (d) -- why should any company's R&D go up ?

If anything - R & D should come down... Why ? Well here is the sequence of events

(1) Company X spends a LOT on R&D
(2) Company Y duplicate the products of Company X
(3) Company X wont spend MORE on R&D -- if anything, Company X will start spending LESS on R&D. Why ? Well, because Company X will say "hmmm there is HIGHER chance that our products WILL BE COPIED / Duplicated BY comapny Y" Why then should I (Company X) -- spend so much money on R&D when Company X might copy my product

KarishmaB wrote:

Same thing with (c) also -- how does (c) cause Higher R&D exactly ?

Paying salaries of new hires comes from a different budget all-together vs the budget for R&D, no ?

I thought (C) didnt touch on ANY of the 3 points (Higher R&D, Fewer patented drugs, Higher profits)

Option (D) explains 'higher costs while getting fewer patents.'
The companies are investing money in new research and putting in more and more money but are getting fewer patents because their research turns out to be a duplication of something that already exists. Someone else is already holding a patent for the research and hence they don't get a patent for it.

Option (C) says that companies have hired faculties at very generous salaries. Hence it explains in part why their costs are high.
The three trends are - high amount of money spent, fewer patents, and increasing profits
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.99
WE:Operations (Computer Software)
Send PM
Pharmaceutical companies spend more than ever on research and developm [#permalink]
Hi,
Which question category does this fall into? Paradox?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619258 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
kpop1234567890 wrote:
Hi,
Which question category does this fall into? Paradox?

Yes, it's a Resolve a Paradox type of question.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts