Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: AWA [#permalink]
Nsentra wrote:
Do you have Kaplan's or Princeton Review's AWA templates?

i looked at one in Kaplan , and it was so urealistically huge :shock:
i don't see any possible way to write an essay of this size, this accuracy, and this structure in 30 min. :roll:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't prepare at all and got 6.0 on my last AWA. The most important thing is to have a number of paragraphs that discusses different perspectives and factors. Oh, and they LOVE when you use examples to support your points.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
I prepared a little before the AWA, just so I wouldn't be rattled before the quant and verbal came up. I wrote out the essays for the GMATPrep practice exams and wrote another practice one based on questions in the OG.

Take a look at the sample essays in the OG, they show what you need to get a 4, 5, or 6. It's too bad there is only 1 example topic with sample essays. There is a nice list of words/phrases you should use in your essays, such as "there is insufficient evidence," "the author fails to establish," etc. It was posted on this board somewhere.

I had a pretty defined structure for essays in my head, 1 paragraph intro, 2 body paragraphs, and 1 conclusion paragraph. I got a 6.0.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:
I had a pretty defined structure for essays in my head, 1 paragraph intro, 2 body paragraphs, and 1 conclusion paragraph. I got a 6.0.

it's a good structure, considering you only have 30 min. to write.
i took my GMAT yesterday, so i don't know my score for awa yet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Orange wrote:
dabots wrote:

it's a good structure, considering you only have 30 min. to write.
i took my GMAT yesterday, so i don't know my score for awa yet

How did ya do? By Kaplan's I ment only their template, intro, arg1, arg2, conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nsentra wrote:
How did ya do?

i got 630, at this point i am happy with my score. :)
i will not be accepted to your 700-club though :( :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Orange wrote:
Nsentra wrote:
How did ya do?

i got 630, at this point i am happy with my score. :)
i will not be accepted to your 700-club though :( :lol:

630 is a good score. i am no where near 700 club myself. 660 on first try, going to try again on nov 4th
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AWA [#permalink]
Tips for the AWA:

1. Organize your thoughts and list your ideas (the noteboards are available during the AWA section)
2. Try to have a template ready for your write-up - this is only possible since you pretty much know the format of the questions (analysis, argument). Documents in legalese are a great source for good formats to analyze an issue or argument.
3. There is no word limit. So, dont constrain yourself unnecessarily but at the same time, dont be verbose - remember that the human reader is a graduate student probably earning less than minimum wage to read your (and a 100 other) write-ups. They wont be too interested in a book.
4. IMHO. including references to real-life events/facts helps your essays (did it both times and got 6.0 on each ocassion). Of course, the references should be appropriate in the context of your essay.

I think the template suggestions in PR's GMAT prep book are decent. The most important thing to remember is that you should use the AWA sections as warm-up for the real thing. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
AWA [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37321 posts