Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 21:23 It is currently 01 May 2024, 21:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry, I didn't articulate my problem very well. I have access to the questions...most are available on the web. My problem is that I've never written a recommendation myself, and I only have a vague notion of what a b-school rec should look like. My recommenders have asked me to basicly draft out the letters that they will then edit before sending out. I don't really have a framework for writing my own rec. Unlike the actual essays, there doesn't seem to be alot of info out there about what these are supposed to look like.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hope this will help:

Go here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0735203 ... eader-link

Search for "margaret"

Click on the first result (page 302), and read the next few pages. This should give you a good idea - keep in mind that this is a VERY long and detailed recommendation. (The author says so himself).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi, guys. I am about to prepare my letters of recommendation as well, but do business schools verify who wrote them? The reason I ask is this - all of the business schools that I am applying to require that the letter be completed on a business/company letterhead with personal contact information. Is this because they actually speak with the recommenders? I actually have a recommender that doesn't want to be bothered by admissions committees, so he was very reluctant (still is) to give his personal contact information. I mean, I would think that admissions committees verify this information; otherwise, isn't there potential to majorly make up some recs? Any thoughts on this?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
My reaction is that if your recommender isn't enthusiastic about assisting you with your application, it would be smart to try to get someone else to do it. A lukewarm recommendation or reaction to contact will certainly reflect badly on your candidacy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
candylynn83 wrote:
Hi, guys. I am about to prepare my letters of recommendation as well, but do business schools verify who wrote them? The reason I ask is this - all of the business schools that I am applying to require that the letter be completed on a business/company letterhead with personal contact information. Is this because they actually speak with the recommenders? I actually have a recommender that doesn't want to be bothered by admissions committees, so he was very reluctant (still is) to give his personal contact information. I mean, I would think that admissions committees verify this information; otherwise, isn't there potential to majorly make up some recs? Any thoughts on this?

Run away from this recommender. He must give his contact information. It's everywhere on the forms - they ask YOU for it (some schools accept just email, others want you to input phone #'s too) - they ask him for it when he fills it out, and it should be in the letter itself too.

As such, I'd urge you to reconsider.

And yes, I know that many many schools do verify recommenders. In fact, the GSB actually goes insofar as telling you - it's got its own special status "Recommendations Verified:" ...

If this person is just lazy...

Then maybe have a chat with them. But if they are so lazy so as not to accept a single phone call, I'd wonder if they are making excuses.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey guys,

I have a related question. One of my recommenders has poor english skills. Tho I will be "helping" him with the writing part. But would the committee be suspicious if they find the person to have a poor command of english?

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a related question. One of my recommenders has poor english skills. Tho I will be "helping" him with the writing part. But would the committee be suspicious if they find the person to have a poor command of english?

Thanks.

I dont think theyll be "suspicious" - it just wont make the rec as strong as it could be.

I'd have him put something in the letter apologizing for the lack of eloquence, but english is not his primary language. Something like "I must first apologize for my English, as it is not my first language. This letter may thus seem less strong than those you recieve from native english speakers, but I trust you will understand that this should not be construed as in any way reflective of my support of Fluffydot. Despite my shortcomings in this regard, I will try to convey as best I can just how strong a candidate fluffydot is."

Another option would be to have him write it in whatever language he chooses, then have someone (not you) translate it.

At the top put a statement like:

"This letter was written in LANGUAGE by me, Mr. X, but as I do not have a command of the English language, it has been translated by my peer, Mr Y. Please accept this letter in support of ..."

I imagine it happens a lot with international candidates.

Alternatively, pick up the phone, call the school and ask them for advice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm thanks for the advice. As always, you are way ahead of the game.

I will probably go with option #1, but it made me laugh a little bit. Cuz the way you wrote that paragraph about his english not being good... it infact makes his english sound really good! lol

I am going to see if he can write just as strong a rec without using "complicated" english.

bahh.. maybe I will just use another ref... I hate this process :evil:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos