Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well COngrats first of all..

710 no doubt is a very good score. But again it depends on the rest of your profile and the schools you are looking at.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, I hope this isn't the wrong place to be asking this but my profile in short is the following.

Schools being considered: Stanford/Berkeley/Wharton/Sloan

Undergraduate: UC Berkeley
Major: Mechanical Engineering
GPA: 3.7

Graduate School: Stanford
Major: Mechanical Engineering
GPA: not sure, probably close to the undergraduate one

Took some computer science courses at Stanford courses before completing my MS degree in Mech Eng. I got out and got a job with a software company that build enterprise content management software.

I've been working for about 6 years at the same company. The first 2 years, I worked as a technical consultant and the last 4 years, I move over to development and worked as a software engineer.

As a technical consultant my job duties were to go to the customer site and participate in meetings with the customer's technical and business people to analyze their business process as it relates to their web content. I would ultimately gather requirements and implement the software. Follow ups would include writing a report details the solution.

As a software engineer, I'm responsible for building the software and designing the next generation set of features that will enhance the product. I'm in constant contact with product management to understand customer feedback/requirements and with management to make sure our goals are aligned.

As a developer, I am seen as a valuable resource not only for my technical abilities but also for my in-depth and well rounded knowledge about all aspects of the software and things relating to the business process and organizational structure of the company. I like to think that I have sort of a "mentor" role to the more junior people on our team.

In addition to my development tasks I've also been asked to provide other "services". I was asked twice before to program manage the release of two products, managing schedules, resources, etc. I was even recognized for my effort and hardwork with a departmental award.

Currently, desiring more involvement with product management, I've been privileged enough to help out product management with the release of a product (another product our company builds) with a smaller scope. I'm working with a senior product manager to manage the product scope/requirements for a development team that resides in India. Daily duties include coordinating both the teams in the US (docs, development, QA) and the team in India and I'm responsible for defining the product definition and making sure all the requirements are met by the development team. I occasionally need to have contact with a counterpart in marketing to let them know about the product so they are able to prepare their messaging.

In terms of promotions, I was essentially promoted from consultant to engineer after working on a high profile internal project for a proof of concept product. I was promoted to senior engineer after two years and i'm now reaching a point where I'm being considered for another jump up.

Not sure what else would be helpful in evaluating my position. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks.

Originally posted by gmatnoob on 25 Oct 2006, 18:27.
Last edited by gmatnoob on 27 Oct 2006, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]

Here you go!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mate, anybody that can talk about his duties the way u did plus your gmat score can get it done. Getting closer...!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts