Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you guys for advice. I will try both technics. Actually more practice is a reasonable advice, though when you can't control the emotions the second could help as well. Unfortunately, I can't scream in a testing room :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I fliped out on my test from stress... but I went through with it and finished ok in the end. Just take some practice tests, calm down, and take the **** thing like you are taking it in your living room. No stresss, just you and the problems.

Thats all I can say.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can I say its funny that you can't swear in this forum.... its just words guys. Jesus **** christ. I wonder which one of those words its allowed.

My grammer is f*@cked!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Stress and anxiety are the primary reasons why it took me so long to reach my target score.

I highly recommend that you pick TWO dates to take the test, both exactly one month apart. That way, you know that if you fail to reach your goal the first time around, there is always that contingency date next month.

This worked for me, and I hope it does for you too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I got pretty stressed two. I had two weapons to beat stress

1) Running
2) A yoga posture for relaxation called Sava Asana. It really helped me sleep the night before.

Would encourage others to think about experimenting with these two. Not only will they help with the gmat BUT ALSO will be great for long term health.

From what I've heard B school and the job search after that is more stressful than the GMAT itself
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I got (and get) pretty stressed two. I had (and still have) two weapons to beat stress

1) Running. I ran a good 3 miles before the exam. Helped with the stress tremendously.
2) A yoga posture for relaxation called Sava Asana. It really helped me sleep the night before. It takes regular practice to be good at it. https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/482_1.cfm

Would encourage others to think about experimenting with these two. Not only will they help with the gmat BUT ALSO will be great for long term health.

From what I've heard B school and the job search after that is more stressful than the GMAT itself
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
In addition, during the test you may feel stressed (due to lack of time, missed question, still thinking and REthinking on the last question etc.).

What I tried was to treat each section, and subsequently, each QUESTION individual.

If you are able to disconnect each individual bit, you can concentrate and focus better :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
practise meditation. try pranayama-alternate nostril breathing. Also make yourself believe that you can do it and even if you don't, you can live without it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
For me stress was also a big problem. I scored consistently between 670 and 720 with the various practice CATs. The days before my actually test I got completely nervous. All I could think about was getting that 700+ score.

The night before the actual I was so nervous I decided to take another practice test that I had not taken before -- got a 720. Great. I thought. But for some reason that got me even more nervous. I was tired from all that stress yet I couldnt sleep that night. I was hot, sweating, and kept tossing and turning. Next morning I woke up at 4am and couldnt go back to bed. I was extremely tired but wanted to just get up. It was too cold out and so I decided to exercise on this silly machine we have at home. Took a shower and eat afterwards. Felt even more nervous then because I didnt sleep and I know how that would affect me. Then this is when things really gone down hill. I decided to go to the store and get a can of Redbull. I never had Redbull before but figured it will be better than to go in sleepy. I drank about half of it on the way to the test center and saved the other half for the break between AWA and Quant.

To my surprise, I did better than I thought in quant and failed miserbly in verb. In the end, it did not matter. I scored 570 -- the worst score I have ever gotten -- even lower than before I studied for the test. I am going to retake the test in a month.

Guys, what I have learned from this experience is you are suppose to take the real test while you are in the same mental and physical "modes" that you normally are when you study. If I had normally studied with a Redbull in one hand while only slept four hours. I probably would have done better. But I didn't. Another thing is just relax -- I know its easier said than done but like other posters suggested, it's important. Exercising definitely helps me. Even watching a DVD or something will get my mind off the test.

Also, leading up to the test I was over studying. I studied and practiced about 8 hours each day for 5 days leading up to the test -- which was ridculous. I have read that some people force themselves to not touch any GMAT material the day before the test and just relax. That makes a lot of sense to me and I will do that for my next test.

To sum it up, study but don't over study. Remind yourself the GMAT is only one component of the application process and its not the end of it. Also remind yourself that you are competent and capable. Constantly refer back to the practice test scores and see how they have improved overtime. That should give you comfort. Sing, dance, run, or do whatever that makes you relax and happy. And above all else, don't drink Redbull or anything other substance that can alter your thinking ability if you are not used to it.

Jeff
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you need an advice from an obsessive person :-D . I know how people tell you calm down, and you just can't.

Here's what I did for anxiety. First of all, I got a good night's sleep. Then, in the morning, I started the day just as I start any other day. Did a couple of questions, and did not give my mind to them too much.

Before I enter the exam room, I just sat and relaxed. Then, took the test.

Weird thing is I was over-confident through the whole process. This helped me a lot.

Don't eat too many candies, and never drink an energy drink before GMAT.

I hope these will help you with your problem.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
At the same time that I started studying for the GMAT, I started practicing for a 1/2 marathon. This was just a coincidence, but in the later months, the 2 things complemented each other very well. I was anxious for the last week of the exam and was very eager to get the exam out of my way.
Again the marathon practice helped me a lot. It just told me that even if I don't do well on the GMAT I have other things to look forward to :)

I did not study AT ALL on the day before the exam. This helped a lot in calming my nerves. My exam was at 9.00 am. Got up around 6.30, went over the strategy again. Got a decent score 710...

Don't stress yourself. GMAT is not the end. Just take it as a learning experience:) Too much philosophy (sorry about that).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think exercising should help. Or a herbal tea. Or watching a complete season of "Friends" in DVD. Or whatever.

What I'm saying is that you should probably know by now how to keep calm, as you have been probably faced with stressful situations before.

In my case, what calmed me down was my "I don't give a f**k" attitude.

Hope it helps. L.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts