Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've done some research on the admissions411 site and here is how I would advise people to use the data: use it for school comparisons, but NOT for individual school stats.

For example using admissions411 data to answer questions such as "what is the average GMAT score for Darden applicants" or "what is the % of applicants invited to interview for Chicago" would be misleading. The reason for this is because the data is highly skewed in terms of GMAT score, since people with high scores will be more likely to post them. Thus Darden's GMAT would be like 730 and this would also help explain why Chicago's invite rate is close to 70%.

However, since the data is skewed for EVERY school, the irony is that because of this using admissions411 data to compare schools actually becomes valid (assuming there is no bias for any particular school, which I haven't found any). Hence using admissions411 data to answer questions such as "Which school has a higher average GMAT, Darden or Chicago" or "Which school would students prefer Wharton or Chicago" is perfectly valid.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I think it depends who you talk to and where you are. Anyone familiar with MBA programs will know both schools. People unfamiliar with MBA programs will be instantly impressed with a Chicago MBA in these parts, but may not recognize the Wharton name.

I think they are, honestly, equally prestigious.

I think your opinion may be skewed by the fact that you're in Chicago. It’s very possible that these schools have a similar rep where you are, but for us East Coast folks it’s not even close. Internationally, Wharton's rep is basically as good as Harvard's.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Internationally - no schools come close to the following 4 -
Harvard
Wharton
Stanford
MIT
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Harvard
Wharton
Stanford
MIT

I would put the first two in their own category. I agree with Stanford but would probably put Columbia ahead of MIT. I'm probably being Euro-centric, but the Columbia name definitely carries more weight in a financial center such as London.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Moving to i-Town? [#permalink]
If any of you Cornell applicants end up coming here, please PM me. I am an Ithacan (well, a 4-year transplant) and do a lot of hiring in my office. I have a nice list of places to look for housing, and can certainly tell you a lot more about living in this small but lovely town than the students at the Johnson School....my impression is that they don't get off the hill much! And if you're in town for an interview, etc, do let me know. I've got the skinny on the watering holes and am always happy to run into folks of a like mind.

best of luck - my apps will all be in in the next 4 weeks.....

amy
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Moving to i-Town? [#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
If any of you Cornell applicants end up coming here, please PM me. I am an Ithacan (well, a 4-year transplant) and do a lot of hiring in my office. I have a nice list of places to look for housing, and can certainly tell you a lot more about living in this small but lovely town than the students at the Johnson School....my impression is that they don't get off the hill much! And if you're in town for an interview, etc, do let me know. I've got the skinny on the watering holes and am always happy to run into folks of a like mind.

best of luck - my apps will all be in in the next 4 weeks.....

amy

Amy, I'd love to chat sometime - I'll know where I'm going by Jan 8 - PM me if you are open to a quick phone conversation.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
Quote:
Harvard
Wharton
Stanford
MIT

I would put the first two in their own category. I agree with Stanford but would probably put Columbia ahead of MIT. I'm probably being Euro-centric, but the Columbia name definitely carries more weight in a financial center such as London.

I agree. Columbia carries more weight in Asia too. MIT is up there, but just not quite IV (ivey): top four.

Now here's the big question: if a magic genie gave you a choice between Harvard and Stanford, which would it be?

Palo Alto or Cambridge... that's one darn tough decision.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
dukes wrote:
Quote:
Harvard
Wharton
Stanford
MIT

I agree. Columbia carries more weight in Asia too. MIT is up there, but just not quite IV (ivey): top four.

Now here's the big question: if a magic genie gave you a choice between Harvard and Stanford, which would it be?

Palo Alto or Cambridge... that's one darn tough decision.

Harvard, beyound any doubts for me. Their alumni network is sooooo much bigger.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Harvard, beyound any doubts for me. Their alumni network is sooooo much bigger.

HBS no doubt. Personally, I don't see what the deal with Stanford is.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6