Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 00:44 It is currently 15 May 2024, 00:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1119 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Samdee,

I was happy to read your post because we are in the same situation. I also left my job in August to work on business school. But my GMAT is a 490 (everything else is strong; also I have been told I have a very untraditional profile). I have drafted essays and my recommendation letters are complete. But I know there is a dim chance to none with the GMAT score, even with my 3.9 GPA. (Believe it or not, I brought in 28 AP credits in English before I even started college, plus have a liberal arts background, and still came up at 76% verbal. I was scoring 95-99% verbal on practice tests. But I am one of those heart-palpitating, dig-your-nails-into-the-palms test takers. One thing is for sure, Nerve Control is one name of the game.)

Please, let me know what you decide, for we're in this boat together!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have given my GMAT 3 times and have not scored more than 550. But I am giving it the fourth time. GMAT is the only thing between me and MBA. I am sure I will get into a good business school if I apply with my 7 years of work experience and good application packet. If you want to apply, apply with confidence that your entire package is good. Do not apply with a couple of weak links in your package. That in my mind is a waste of time.

Invest that time in GMAT and I am sure you will do well.

Good Luck and patience is key!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 792 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
axl_oz wrote:
I have given my GMAT 3 times and have not scored more than 550. But I am giving it the fourth time. GMAT is the only thing between me and MBA. I am sure I will get into a good business school if I apply with my 7 years of work experience and good application packet. If you want to apply, apply with confidence that your entire package is good. Do not apply with a couple of weak links in your package. That in my mind is a waste of time.

Invest that time in GMAT and I am sure you will do well.

Good Luck and patience is key!

can't agree more!!! hope you listen to this advice!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
quick poll for those who read this thread-

i took the gmat in dec. scored 490. was originally planning to apply for an ultraelite, round 2. sure i will be denied based on gmat alone. as a previous poster said, gmat is the only thing between me and a good business school.

should i go ahead and apply now with the bad gmat score, or take it again before round 3 and apply?

i know that timing is often everything, but right now it's a "sure ding."

if i apply in round 3 with a little better score (hopefully a lot better, and hopefully the score *will change), i am still up against the timing issue of most candidates being accepted.

since my reccs have already been written, i don't want to hold from applying altogether until next year round 1. also the creation of file gives me ground to reapply.

poll: round 2 or 3?

thank you so much!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am applying in round 3 as well( not to the same schools though), and I will honestly say that having an average gmat is very important. The only person I personally know who got admitted to Columbia and Wharton with a lowest score that one could ever imagine and she had a 550 but her application was very strong . I think it is better to take the gmat again and then apply, I know that round 3 has limited seats, but if you can stand out with your essays and have a slightly better score, you will have better chances.

Good luck buddy!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37424 posts