Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 04:53 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 04:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Do I tell them?

You may select 1 option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3086 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
EconGirl wrote:
well I submitted my vote from a personal standpoing (my work environment) but it may be completely different from yours so if you wanted advice than you should tell us more about possible pros/cons of your actions. would you come back and ever work again for this company?

Possibly, but not likely that it would be in the same office or area.

There isnt much to say... tell them now and risk being put on insanely boring stuff for six months (as they know im leaving). Thats the downside. The upside is, not having a lot of work makes for a relatively easy few months. Nice relax time before the storm. There is of course, however remote, always a risk I'd be let go if I told them. I seriously doubt it, but that risk always exists. You never really know how people might react.

The flipside - dont tell them, maybe do something interesting between now and then, and then leave when the time is right, explaining that of course, it was a difficult decision, etc etc. Downside: may not play so well, not the best moral choice.

The long and short of it is, I'm bored stiff at work, I'm unchallenged and underutilized, my skill sets are not really put to the test, and I feel completely uninspired. I've met or exceeded any task laid at my feet and You say I'm the strongest member of the team? You say everyone looks up to me? You say management wants me to take on more leadership roles? Fine. Give me something worth sinking my teeth into instead of thing mind-numbing bullshit where some new engagement manager wants me to come take meeting notes for him because he's too lazy to do it himself (For the record, I eventually told him no anyway). As much as things are crappy right now, I'm sure that opportunities to do something interesting are around the corner, and I wouldn't mind doing them. My worry is that telling them I'm going FT might put those opportunities at risk.

On the other hand, the firm seems so dysfunctional, these opportunities may never materialize at all.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
IF I get in somewhere, I plan on giving 2 months notice. This way I'll be treated like a regular employee for most of the remaining time and won't burn any bridges either.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Play it straight. Maybe don't tell them now, but tell them soon. Maybe when it's official and you put in your deposit. April? Jerking them around is not gong to win you friends. I am a big fan of not burning bridges whenever possible.

And it sounds like it can't get that much worse, so what do you have to lose?

I told my CEO 2 months ago that I was applying. I told him he COULD NOT take that as my official resignation, but I promised to give them at least 3 months.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I played it straight with my supervisor. Everyone knows I will be leaving (well if I get accepted ;-). But I did this because I think that I may come back to the same company eventually (thought not right after my MBA). This way I hope to remain in good standing.

Having that said, I think that you can acomplish this by a lot less notice notice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tell them as late as you can. You do not know what will happen between now and then.

If you have a strong and mature relationship with your immediate boss, you can let him know off the records - so that he can start making some plans for your leaving. Otherwise keep the ball in your court and hands till the game is over.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
The long and short of it is, I'm bored stiff at work, I'm unchallenged and underutilized, my skill sets are not really put to the test, and I feel completely uninspired. I've met or exceeded any task laid at my feet and You say I'm the strongest member of the team? You say everyone looks up to me? You say management wants me to take on more leadership roles? Fine. Give me something worth sinking my teeth into instead of thing mind-numbing bullshit where some new engagement manager wants me to come take meeting notes for him because he's too lazy to do it himself (For the record, I eventually told him no anyway). As much as things are crappy right now, I'm sure that opportunities to do something interesting are around the corner, and I wouldn't mind doing them. My worry is that telling them I'm going FT might put those opportunities at risk.

On the other hand, the firm seems so dysfunctional, these opportunities may never materialize at all.

This is exactly the reason I quit my job as soon as I got an admit.
Now I have all the free time in the world to indulge in something creative or something to put grey cells at work.

Anyways,... correct me if I am wrong? Didn't you take this job so that you could get away from 16 hr work days. That is.. so that you could get some time for your GMAT?

If that is the case and they already know about your PT plans, I would go and tell them now about FT.
If your boss has brains he would like to use you in productive way. If he doesnot you still have the option to get out of there and may be do something else till Aug.

Hope this makes sense.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I voted no. This is assuming that they won't hold it against you if you decide you want to go back in the future. I believe in not burning bridges if at all possible.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
jaynayak wrote:
This is exactly the reason I quit my job as soon as I got an admit.
Now I have all the free time in the world to indulge in something creative or something to put grey cells at work.

Anyways,... correct me if I am wrong? Didn't you take this job so that you could get away from 16 hr work days. That is.. so that you could get some time for your GMAT?

Correct. Good memory.

Quote:
If that is the case and they already know about your PT plans, I would go and tell them now about FT.
If your boss has brains he would like to use you in productive way. If he doesnot you still have the option to get out of there and may be do something else till Aug.

Hope this makes sense.

He doesn't have much brains no.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I voted no. This is assuming that they won't hold it against you if you decide you want to go back in the future. I believe in not burning bridges if at all possible.

I dont believe they would - I've done some great work here, and I've proven myself time and time again. It's also a very big firm, so there are easily a million different areas in the company to go to. I probably wouldn't consider coming back here unless I was placed in a primarily strategic role - that, to the best of my knowledge, and evidenced by the knee-jerk reactionary stance management seems to take on everything, does not exist in this group.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe its too early to tell yet. You never know what comes up in the next 6 months.

I think 2 months notice is sufficient
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800 wrote:
I believe its too early to tell yet. You never know what comes up in the next 6 months.

I think 2 months notice is sufficient

I agree, there's really no benefit to telling them now, but there is a lot to lose if they are upset by the news. Just bite your tongue for a bit longer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Re: To disclose or not to disclose? [#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
So... my current firm knows I'm going to grad school. They are, however, all completely under the impression that I'm going part time. I've been a bit coy in this regard, and simply haven't "corrected them".

Now that I know I'm going full time, I'm curious to know what people's takes are - should I be upfront now, or wait and give them a good months notice in June?

What the heck...just go and disclose man...This is the time to Enjoy

why dont u quit the job and pursue ur hobby ( be it travelling or scuba diving or selling butt plugs :P :P ) .....

Jaynayak- hatsoff man..If i were in ur position,i will do the same..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Ozmba2006 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
So... my current firm knows I'm going to grad school. They are, however, all completely under the impression that I'm going part time. I've been a bit coy in this regard, and simply haven't "corrected them".

Now that I know I'm going full time, I'm curious to know what people's takes are - should I be upfront now, or wait and give them a good months notice in June?

What the heck...just go and disclose man...This is the time to Enjoy

why dont u quit the job and pursue ur hobby ( be it travelling or scuba diving or selling butt plugs :P :P ) .....

Jaynayak- hatsoff man..If i were in ur position,i will do the same..

Financial reasons. I can pay for grad school, and I can support myself through it, but I dont have the luxury of tooling about for the next eight months.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Financial reasons. I can pay for grad school, and I can support myself through it, but I dont have the luxury of tooling about for the next eight months.

In that case no need to tell them now.. use your time to help some poor souls in this forum.

Also your boss desrves the treatment for not having brains....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:

Looks like you have enough dough to carry you for another 2 years... :lol: :lol:

I need to rely on the Bschool loan for fees and too some extent living expenses :oops:

Hmm.....Brings back one more Question. How many Gmatclubbers are planning to take loans for School Fees + Living Expenses??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Don't tell them right now - there is no benefit to doing so. Give them 4 or 6 weeks notice instead of the standard 2 weeks notice if you feel really guilty about leaving, but I can't see any upside to giving them 8 months (or whatever) notice.

Originally posted by flapjack on 03 Jan 2007, 11:37.
Last edited by flapjack on 03 Jan 2007, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 and jaynayak, I've been thinking about quiting myself if or when I receive an acceptance. However, I'm not sure if that's really a good idea because that would leave potentially an 8-month gap on my resume prior to the start of classes at the end of August or early September.

Does anyone know if a gap like that would seriously hurt one's chances of getting a good post-MBA job?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2