Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
The app i'm working on didn't clarify, so i'm glad I asked.

One more question: this app also asks for a phone number to verify employment. Seems easy, but two of the places I worked at during college have since closed their doors, and one job paid me, ahem, under the table in cash (I was a bartender). Should I mention both of these and make note that they closed, or just leave out the bartending job?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
The app i'm working on now says: "describe every job you have held that has contributed to your professional development."

Should I include summer jobs during college, or just stick to post-graduation positions?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
push away from the computer and take a breath eazyb.

Do you REALLY think that tending bar attributed to your professional development? Yeah, you could make the case for learning assertiveness or something like that, but really.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:

Do you REALLY think that tending bar attributed to your professional development? Yeah, you could make the case for learning assertiveness or something like that, but really.

:lol:

I want to show that I worked throughout college, but I guess I can just address it in my optional.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 536 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

:lol:

I want to show that I worked throughout college, but I guess I can just address it in my optional.

I have the same concern. Dont know if I should mention this experience as a success/accomplishment( have to tell 2 stories about it). I know I am not the only one to have worked and studied but I still believe it is an accomplishment because all my fellows were just studying and doing sport/club activities while I was missing classes. If it is not very convincing, may be I could use this experience to explain why my school's results were not so extraordinary(a little more than minimum required to graduate).
I held many jobs : pizza hut(!) delivery, limousine chauffeur, teacher, telemarketing, tv-ads.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Build that into your background - point out that you were self financed through school if that was the case. It can be a big sell if you build it correctly, but if you just worked a bit it isn't that unusual.

Don't mention that you missed classes to work - if I was adcom I would immediately think that although having to find money, you are prone to a lack of commitment to study.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, definitely avoid talking about skipping classes!

And with these "challenge I've overcome" essays, it's important to strike the right chord. You don't want to come off as though you're making excuses, whining, or whatever. Focus on your own positive attributes and how the experience made you a better person, etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Work Experience [#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
Okay, I know the apps say to list every employer, but do they literally mean EVERY employer? Am I really supposed to go back to my days working part-time in the local pizza shop in high school? Or how about when I made a whopping $6/hr as a busboy at Red Lobster? Shall I discuss the leadership skills I displayed when I dispatched each busser to their respective area on that particularly hectic Friday night?

Do they seriously want me to list every single job, or simply the jobs i've held post-graduation?

Well I have mentioned all My full timers and only those part timers which I felt would add value

I think all your full timers after grad are a must
Others I believe can be out of discretion
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Work Experience [#permalink]