Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Those are interesting additions. I think it would useful to apply this information strategically, to best position your own resume.

It seems that the Indiana Kelly resumes are a mix of undergrad and MBA students.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
You're right, the Kelly resume book was undergrad which I didn't notice until now, so I removed it. The Wharton book is unfortunately not pdf based so you can't really see how they would be formatted but you get a decent idea of what they include.

I thought it was interesting that at least one of the Darden resumes had SAT scores (lame?).
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't see that but putting your SAT score on does seem pretty lame. I seem to recall, though, that Goldman Sachs does ask for all standardized test scores including SAT as part of their application, so perhaps he was preparing for something specific?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It's interesting that the finance club at Darden is filled with people with internships in investment banking (with a handful of sales and trading). They should rename the club to investment banking.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
here is a pretty good collection of resumes of investment club first year students at tuck:

https://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clu ... 20Book.pdf
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great resources, I actually edited my resume to match the Darden examples when I applied there - very good stuff.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
So is 700 the cut off for putting your GMAT score on your resume? I think its funny that some of these people list the AWA score since it seems to be somewhat of a joke.

I wonder what scores recruiters consider to be impressive?
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
OasisNYK wrote:
So is 700 the cut off for putting your GMAT score on your resume? I think its funny that some of these people list the AWA score since it seems to be somewhat of a joke.

I wonder what scores recruiters consider to be impressive?

Yeah, it looks like 700 seems to be the cutoff. There were some comments on this at the BW forums a while back, I think it goes something like this. People scoring below 700 do not include their GMAT scores on their resumes and hope that they aren't asked about it. People scoring 700-740 put their score on reluctantly because if they don't put it on recruiters will just assume they scored below 700; but having a score in that range doesn't help much. As far as looking impressive to recruiters, I think 750+ is the number for most top schools; with the possibility of moving up this year with the percentile change on the GMAT?

I think these generalizations apply to the big recruiting industries like IB & MC. It's well known that GMAT plays a pretty important role during the early stages of recruiting for those fields. On the other hand, I have been told by friends looking into general management and marketing that once they secure an interview (often through a bidding process), the interview(s) are the most important criteria - perhaps the only criteria - to landing a job.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
As far as looking impressive to recruiters, I think 750+ is the number for most top schools; with the possibility of moving up this year with the percentile change on the GMAT?

I hope 750 still stays impressive enough to stay on my resume. Perhaps its more a function of being a round number. For most schools I've looked at it represents the top 10% of students.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Peli -

Some info from the Johnson School indicated that students should come to school with a resume, but that it should be in the Johnson format. Then you have a session with the career services folks early -- maybe even during orientation -- where you get your resume up to speed. UNC does the same thing, so I wouldn't spend too much time on it now. You'll have plenty of time once you know where you're going.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nsentra wrote:
here is a pretty good collection of resumes of investment club first year students at tuck:

Anyone look at this guys resume on page 4? Ryan Burkart.

Wow, I feel like an underachiever. VP at a hedge fund 3 years out of undergrad? COO at a startup 2 years out?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am totally with you Rhyme. Some of these folks are real go getters to put it mildly.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Nsentra wrote:

Wow, I feel like an underachiever. VP at a hedge fund 3 years out of undergrad? COO at a startup 2 years out?

The titles look good, but you have to wonder about 4 jobs in 6 years.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Nsentra wrote:

The titles look good, but you have to wonder about 4 jobs in 6 years.

Sadly, I've had 4 jobs in six years too.

:(
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interestingly, the Tuckies were far less likely to list their GMAT score (compared to Darden). I wonder why?

Originally posted by dukes on 12 Mar 2007, 08:29.
Last edited by dukes on 12 Mar 2007, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Nsentra wrote:

I think you have the tiles mixed. He was a COO at the hedge fund and a VP at the startup.

The COO was just a title. 40M hedge fund is tiny. I knew a guy that ran a 60M hedge fund by himself. The job description sounds like someone in opeations. Yeah, if he was the only guy in operations, you could say he was the COO.

His other jobs are impressive though (@ bear steans and goldman)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Nsentra wrote:

I think you have the tiles mixed. He was a COO at the hedge fund and a VP at the startup.

The COO was just a title. 40M hedge fund is tiny. I knew a guy that ran a 60M hedge fund by himself. The job description sounds like someone in opeations. Yeah, if he was the only guy in operations, you could say he was the COO.

His other jobs are impressive though (@ bear steans and goldman)

Whatever. All I know is I havent run a $1MM hedge fund. To me, 40MM is something. I know all about title inflation, and there may well be a lot of that going on his resume. In any case, compared to my resume:

Big Bank
Senior Analyst, Team Lead

Finance Consulting Firm
Associate

Smaller Bank
Analyst, Senior Analyst

Strategy / Consulting Firm
Analyst

His looks better.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2