Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 17:56 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
braindancer wrote:
Yeah, the specs are solid, but 3 kg is a bit too much. Imagine hopping around 16 hours a day with a 7-pound brick up your a$$.

Oops, I meant the X60 (its a tablet, around 4 lbs).
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, this one looks very good. I'm not sure if I'd take a tablet (I type faster than I write), but both X60 options are solid. C2D 2GHz, 2Gb RAM, 8-cell battery - here's a tiny monster.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Laptop weight is a huge concern with me. The difference in a few pounds makes all the difference. However, buying the proper carrying case can help alleviate these problems. I recommend staying away from messenger bags during B school. They may be stylish, but it can put too much stress on one shoulder.

I myself have a gateway. I have had it for 1.5 years and no problem yet. But i also tend to stay away from programs or websites that may bring about many problems. Ive noticed that many problems with notebooks are user related. But... some manufacturers do use quality frames and hardware to help the product last longer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can someone explain to me what practical uses a tablet PC has? I could understand if one were a graphic artist or designer, but the functionality of the pen makes any kind of excel design or other business use very challenging. To make matters worse the finger prints and smudges are VERY annoying. The one feature that I like is the swivel screen, but so far I have not gotten into the main features. Thoughts???
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
typicalgmatter wrote:
Can someone explain to me what practical uses a tablet PC has? I could understand if one were a graphic artist or designer, but the functionality of the pen makes any kind of excel design or other business use very challenging. To make matters worse the finger prints and smudges are VERY annoying. The one feature that I like is the swivel screen, but so far I have not gotten into the main features. Thoughts???

BUMP, for I'd like to know as well..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I thought of a good use for a tablet while I was on a plane yesterday. It's much easier to view the screen of a tablet if you are in a cramped airplane seat. I had a hard time getting my screen open entirely so watching a movie was difficult. It would have been much easier with a tablet. It might be a concern for people like consultants that are flying every week, although they probably get bumped up to business class regularly and don't need to worry about it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know that Rice is not in consideration for many of you, but it is great that they supply computers to all new incoming students. So there is no need to worry about which to buy and how much to spend. There is IT guys for the PCs and they are free! :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
typicalgmatter wrote:

Its a way for your to draw a diagram like you might in a meeting and have an electronic copy. You can take digital notes in class compelte with the right symbols for formulas etc instead of some text based parantehtical nightmare like (((x-3)^4)/2)+3)/((x+4)(3.2))^n) or whatever. But honestly, whats the point? Just use paper and a pen and you'll be fine. Frankly, I find it easier to flip through a book of notes than to try and find what page I wrote something in on a long electronic copy.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was just looking over the stuff for Darden. They budget $3250 in the first year for a comptuer. Are they serious? Before I looked at this, I was thinking about dropping $1500 on a nice new laptop for business school. What the hell costs $3250 these days?

On a different note, they revised their estimated monthly rent up from $536 to $700 for last year. That's probably 1/2 what the estimate would be around New York or the Bay Area.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I was just looking over the stuff for Darden. They budget $3250 in the first year for a comptuer. Are they serious? Before I looked at this, I was thinking about dropping $1500 on a nice new laptop for business school. What the hell costs $3250 these days?

On a different note, they revised their estimated monthly rent up from $536 to $700 for last year. That's probably 1/2 what the estimate would be around New York or the Bay Area.

Yea $3250 sounds insane to me. Even apple's most expensive laptop costs $2800. And Apple is overpriced for what it is.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
pelihu wrote:

Yea $3250 sounds insane to me. Even apple's most expensive laptop costs $2800. And Apple is overpriced for what it is.

They're probably making you buy service plans and the like.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Currently debating whether to get a tablet for about $310 more ($1100 vs $1410)...This is between the Thinkpad X60 and the X60 Tablet version.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
X60 for 1100, where ?

batchgmat wrote:
Currently debating whether to get a tablet for about $310 more ($1100 vs $1410)...This is between the Thinkpad X60 and the X60 Tablet version.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Its kinda complicated...First off you need to buy today. Then you need to use American Express and sign up for their Tailor Made program (its free, takes about 5 minutes).

Lenovo is having a sale, and if you use your American Express card you get 12% off (will be credited to your statement a few months later). Also, if you go through a website like FatWallet you will get an additional 3.5% off.

Anyways, I configured the deal with XP Home, 512MB, 80gb HD, finger print reader, 8 cell battery (which gives almost 8 hours of battery life) for $1100 after everything.

I told you it was complicated :-D.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
batchgmat wrote:
Its kinda complicated...First off you need to buy today. Then you need to use American Express and sign up for their Tailor Made program (its free, takes about 5 minutes).

Lenovo is having a sale, and if you use your American Express card you get 12% off (will be credited to your statement a few months later). Also, if you go through a website like FatWallet you will get an additional 3.5% off.

Anyways, I configured the deal with XP Home, 512MB, 80gb HD, finger print reader, 8 cell battery (which gives almost 8 hours of battery life) for $1100 after everything.

I told you it was complicated :-D.

Someone's not getting any work done today! :wink:
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
How about just trying this link for the Lenovo St. Patty's Day Sale (last day today):

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/?PID=1909457

$1073 for T series 15.4" widescreen.
Core 2 duo
Vista Home Premium
1GB (should really go with 2)
80GB HD
6 Cell battery ($30 more for 9 cell)

The only think I don't like is that their 14.1" model is not a widescreen - and widescreen is really much better for laptops because of the size and keyboard space. I already have a 15.4" notebook, but this looks like a pretty good deal.

The X series is more expensive, but I can't really imagine using the above set-up with just 512mb of RAM. Also, I think getting a new computer is a good time to switch over to Vista.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
How about just trying this link for the Lenovo St. Patty's Day Sale (last day today):

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/?PID=1909457

$1073 for T series 15.4" widescreen.
Core 2 duo
Vista Home Premium
1GB (should really go with 2)
80GB HD
6 Cell battery ($30 more for 9 cell)

The only think I don't like is that their 14.1" model is not a widescreen - and widescreen is really much better for laptops because of the size and keyboard space. I already have a 15.4" notebook, but this looks like a pretty good deal.

The X series is more expensive, but I can't really imagine using the above set-up with just 512mb of RAM. Also, I think getting a new computer is a good time to switch over to Vista.

Hmm, but the weight on that is prob a bit high - I'm looking for a light laptop. The X60 weighs in around 3.6 lbs.

Also, after reading the negative reviews about Vista I'd prob stick with XP for now. Maybe later I can get Vista with an educational discount.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14