Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:35 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1012 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
INSEAD demands some specific languages they do not accept any language:
https://mba-aol.insead.edu/documents/la ... policy.pdf

I have the following profile:
Portuguese: native
English: fluent (some mistakes off course)
Spanish: Up-intermediate
German: starting

I also think that LBS is moving toward this language policy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hindi (mother tongue)
English (the language in which i am the most expressive)
Gujarati (courtesy the third language requirement at my school, can read, write and speak fluently)
Telugu (lots of IT friends from there. can speak fluently and can carry out a conversation. can't read or write)
Urdu (can read and write - learnt from an aunt who was an expert in Urdu poetry (Sher-o-shaayaree). Urdu is truly one of the most beautiful languages.)
Tamil (have some rudimentary knowledge, courtesy my last 8 months here, can haggle with auto drivers, vegetable vendors etc.)
French (studied for one year at school a looong time back. remember a few words here and there. from what i remember it was more like maths, a whole set of grammar rules to remember. it was fun.)

language i want to master - Sanskrit

Having studied at a college where there were people from every corner of India I know profanities in almost all the Indian languages.

I pride myself on the fact that, though I don't understand I can atleast guess all of the 15 major Indian languages by listening to them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Native French
Fluent German and English
Some Dutch

I studied at a Dutch College in English and went on exchange to Germany as part of degree. Then I stayed worked there for a while...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kwam - INSEAD doesn't count Portuguese as a language toward their language requirement!?! Any idea why?? I would be really offended or maybe just p*ssed off if they didn't accept my native language.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
[#permalink]
Nsentra wrote:
Dilshod wrote:
Uzbek, russian - natives

that's great! there is also Tajik_GMAT gmatclubber here. central asia in the house!

are you from cent.asia?

omg, just saw your avatar. never seen such Extreme career switch :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Preved!! -))

English - not bad :wink:
Russian - native
Korean - beginner (have been living for 3 years in Korea)

Originally posted by pi10t on 03 Apr 2007, 05:41.
Last edited by pi10t on 03 Apr 2007, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ricokevin wrote:
Mother-tongue: Korean
Secondary: English (read write listen speak well; 12 yrs int'l school - elementary, middle, high)

Speaks very limited French. (Learned in school as a second language :P )

Sadly, can't speak Hindi although lived in India for 8 yrs. :(
(I should've learned!)

:)

anyong -) jal' jineyo? -)
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
pi10t wrote:
Preved!! -))

English - not bad :wink:
Russian - native
Korean - beginner (have been living for 3 years in Korea)

Do I know you? :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
[#permalink]
pi10t wrote:
Preved!! -))

never expected someone speak "medved" language here :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dilshod wrote:
Nsentra wrote:
Dilshod wrote:
Uzbek, russian - natives

that's great! there is also Tajik_GMAT gmatclubber here. central asia in the house!

are you from cent.asia?

omg, just saw your avatar. never seen such Extreme career switch :lol:

I'm from Moscow, but spent many great summers in Tashkent and Leninobad (what do they call it now?)

russian - native (7 grades of formal classes) dlya sebya!
english - 10 yrs (still learning how to express myself well in formal situations) I have 'whatsthedealiyo' down though
german - 6 grades, einz zwei drei fier
( as part of the ussr's plan to train translators for east germany and defeat capitalist west )
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Since we seem to have a pretty lively conversation going here, I thought I would run something by you all. For my work (economic community development), I would really love to nail Spanish. I'm not far off - I studied a few semesters in college and am quick at languages. It's also so much like French that there's relatively little for me to learn; it's more of an adjustment. I would love to make "becoming fluent in Spanish" one of my goals for b-school, but I am not sure how realistic that is as I will be so busy learning accounting, etc. What do you guys think?
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
Since we seem to have a pretty lively conversation going here, I thought I would run something by you all. For my work (economic community development), I would really love to nail Spanish. I'm not far off - I studied a few semesters in college and am quick at languages. It's also so much like French that there's relatively little for me to learn; it's more of an adjustment. I would love to make "becoming fluent in Spanish" one of my goals for b-school, but I am not sure how realistic that is as I will be so busy learning accounting, etc. What do you guys think?

Я считаю, это правильное решение. :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
helg wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

LOL.

Помощь студентам ВУЗов и техникумов. Контрольные работы по высшей математике. Решение задач по высшей математике.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:

Given the tight schedule of B-school (and since you already know the basics), you'd be much better if you joined the Latin American club / Latin American crowd* than if you tried to jam formal classes within your schedule. That way, you'd be socializing, meeting new people, and talking in Spanish on a regular basis. Plus everywhere I visited I heard that the Latin Club parties are the best! Only drawback, though, is that if your SO does not understand Spanish he won't understand a thing.

* Latin Club: formal club, which may include people from the region / ethnicity but also others with interest in it. At some schools, it may be English Speaking.
Latin Crowd: actual Latin (or Iberian) people. Sometimes, when Brazilians (or Portuguese) are around, the language switches to "Portnish" or "Spaguese", which is a half-way meeting point which can create some funny confusions at times. Two languages for the price of 1! :lol:

Cheers. L.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
helg wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

LOL.

Помощь студентам ВУЗов и техникумов. Контрольные работы по высшей математике. Решение задач по высшей математике.

LOL yourself! :-D Do you know what you've written? It says:

Assistance to university and technical college students. Tests in higher mathematics. Solving problems in higher mathematics.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Aaudetat - I've been trying to brush up on Spanish the past year. I took about six years of Spanish in school but had mostly forgotten it so I bought the Rosetta Stone software which I thought was supposed to be amazing but was pretty disappointed with it. It's the most boring, one-dimensional approach I could imagine.

However, I've been listening to CD's on my commute to/from work each day, something I got on Amazon called Learn Spanish In Your Car (link at bottom) and it has been great. Short of some sort of immersion like Lepium suggested, I think these CD's are the easiest way to develop accent and vocab. Read customer reviews on Amazon and see if you're interested in.

https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Spanish-Com ... 366&sr=8-1
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
helg wrote:
rhyme wrote:
helg wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

LOL.

LOL yourself! :-D Do you know what you've written? It says:

Assistance to university and technical college students. Tests in higher mathematics. Solving problems in higher mathematics.

стишок имеет гайки ...

не думаю, что я знаю русский. Она напрямую используя google
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4