Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:30 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Which 2 use as a culture shock essay

You may select 1 option
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Schools:Olin Business School - Washington University
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree. I don't think either of these work. In the first one, you could come off as describing another culture as lazy (that sort of judgmentalism is the opposite point of the essay), the second one is more of an observation about people around you, rather than something you yourself experienced. Think of a time that you really felt uncomfortable or out of place because of some cultural difference you were experiencing. Then write about how you came to terms with it. Did you come into a new culture and commit a social faux pas? Did someone accidentally offend you? Did some cross-cultural experience rattle your world view? Did the behavior of a different culture make you really uncomfortable?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hosam wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't use either for the INSEAD essay.

INSEAD's main focus is on international experiences. For this reason, I'd think that they'd like to hear about your experiences in a new culture - a new country among people different to those you live around and how you were able to adjust and adapt (this could be work-related obviously). What did you learn from them? How are they so different.

I'm pretty sure they don't want to hear about business cultures unless they are different due to the ethnic and traditional cultures of its people.

I would talk about your experience in Tokyo, but try to make it a little deeper than the difference in people's drinking habits. :)

Agree with Hosam here.

For us Indian techies, facing situation one is a no-brainer. Majority of techies from India would face a similar situation.
I personally think that you should use this essay to highlight how you beacme a well-rounded individual not only how you became a well-rounded employee.
Think about some other personal experiences in Tokyo or for that matter in India itself (remember India is a huge country) and talk about it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also, look at this essay as an opportunity to show that you're the kind of person who who is not scared to put himself/herself into unique and unfamiliar situations. One of the essay purposes is to show that you are indeed "international." I really struggled with this essay because I'm not the kind of person who typically experiences the "shock" part of culture shock. I ended up writing about a vacation experience where I was unfamiliar with certain local customs and ended up offending my hosts (indigenous people in a third world country). Then I wrote about what I learned from these people and and the experience as a whole and how it shaped my "international" interactions from there on out. I never felt that it was great essay, but it worked well enough.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks every body
Yes both examples are not so appropriate

I agree
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot everybody dukes, hosam, diesgmat, jaynayak, dahiya
I had a small doubt when I had began to write the essay
and now I am quite glad that I posted my doubt as a query
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
hosam wrote:

INSEAD's main focus is on international experiences. For this reason, I'd think that they'd like to hear about your experiences in a new culture - a new country among people different to those you live around and how you were able to adjust and adapt (this could be work-related obviously). What did you learn from them? How are they so different.

I'm pretty sure they don't want to hear about business cultures unless they are different due to the ethnic and traditional cultures of its people.

I would talk about your experience in Tokyo, but try to make it a little deeper than the difference in people's drinking habits. :)

This is what I told in my reply to another of your post.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
ps_dahiya wrote:
hosam wrote:

This is what I told in my reply to another of your post.

I agree now i am understanding how the culture shock essay should look like
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]