Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Send PM
Re: In his most recent speech, my opponent, Governor Smith, [#permalink]
I think C

C is LEAST relevant because the Governor accused him that the speaker had MISREPRESENTED the GOVERNOR"S position. So in order to respond to him, he must say that he did not misrepresent but that It was his genuine IDEA or POSITION.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hmm,

A is getting popular. Aspire's explanation sounds good.

Anand.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
OA: A. Nice explanation Aspire. Yes, this is an LSAT question
The question stem asks us to focus on the "dispute" between the two opponents. What will be relevant to it will be those items that affect the merits of the issues or perhaps those that affect the credibility of the parties. Choice C and E both mention items -- facts and their source -- that would be relevant to the substantive issues. Choices B and D are legitimate attempts to clarify the issues and so are relevant. Choice A is neither relevant to the issues nor to the credibility (eg where did the facts come from) of the debaters. Choice A is the least relevant because it is an ad hominem attack of the illegitimate sort
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi Paul,

Let me know what you chose. I chose A first and then since u posted the CR I changed my mind. I would like to know what you chose.

Anand.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Paul wrote:
In his most recent speech, my opponent, Governor Smith, accused me of having distorted the facts, misrepresenting his own positions, suppressing information, and deliberately lying to the people.

Which of the following possible responses by this speaker would be LEAST relevant to his dispute with Governor Smith?
A) Governor Smith would not have begun to smear me if he did not sense that his own campaign was in serious trouble
B) Governor Smith apparently misunderstood my characterization of his position, so I will attemp to state more clearly my understanding of it
C) At the time I made those remarks, certain key facts were not available, but new information uncovered by my staff does support the position I took at that time
D) I can only wish Governor Smith had specified those points he considered to be lies so that I could have responded to them now
E) With regard to the allegedly distorted facts, the source of my information is a Department of Transportation publication entitled "Safe Driving"

Hey Anandnk. I chose A. Each of the above claims do respond or attempt to clarify one of the issues at hand. However, A seems like a personal attack which will not solve the problem at hand. I did hesitate between A and C though but since A was a unwarranted personal attack, I picked it. Sorry I had to edit my explanation.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts