Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:50 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [12]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In an experiment, capuchin monkeys watched Person A refuse Person B's [#permalink]
I understand that D is correct. However, could anyone explain why C is not correct? If the capuchin monkeys do not understand that Person A was refusing Person B's request, they can't identify that Person A is unhelpful. Thus there might be other reasons that capuchin monkeys avoid A.

GMATNinja mikemcgarry KarishmaB please help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In an experiment, capuchin monkeys watched Person A refuse Person B's [#permalink]
Hello I would also know to like why D is not correct. Thank you experts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 627
GMAT Focus 1:
655 Q87 V80 DI80
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
In an experiment, capuchin monkeys watched Person A refuse Person B's [#permalink]

jyinvisiblech wrote:
I understand that D is correct. However, could anyone explain why C is not correct? If the capuchin monkeys do not understand that Person A was refusing Person B's request, they can't identify that Person A is unhelpful. Thus there might be other reasons that capuchin monkeys avoid A.

GMATNinja mikemcgarry KarishmaB please help!

gmatmartell wrote:

­
­Hi, if choice D had questioned whether capuchin monkeys understood that person A was being unhelpful to person B in the experiment, then this would have been a contender choice and what you are saying would have been correct. However, since the official option choice questions whether "the researchers" considered this "possibility", these choices are not the same.

Let's try the variance analysis on this:

Yes: the researchers did consider this possibility (since the word "might" is used in the answer choice, this behavior by capuchin monkeys is a possibility) - does it change the conclusion or increase our belief in the conclusion in any way? I don't think so because it is not substantive proof that capuchin monkeys really DID NOT understand the behavior - since the researchers might be wrong in their analysis or consideration etc.

Usage of the phrases such as capuchin monkeys "might" understand X and "researchers considered" Y raised an alarm in my head while reading this answer choice to really understand it before accepting or rejecting this choice.

Since the choice fails in the variance test because of not having a direct impact on the conclusion stated, it is incorrect.

Hope this helps­
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63701 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jyinvisiblech wrote:

url=[https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja]GMATNinja url=[https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=mikemcgarry]mikemcgarry url=[https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=KarishmaB]KarishmaB please help!

The question asks us to evaluate the support provided in the argument. This means that our task is to look at each option and ask, "if I knew whether this thing occurred, would that give me insight into the strength of the support in the argument?"

Starting with (D):
Quote:
D. capuchin monkeys would accept food more often from Person B than from Person A in a similar experiment in which Person A and Person B did not interact

It would be incredibly helpful to know whether this would happen. If the monkeys DID accept more food from Person B even without the unhelpful interaction, it really blows a hole in the argument. Maybe the monkeys' decisions had nothing to do with Person A being unhelpful -- maybe they just didn't like that person for whatever reason. 

Compare that to (C):
Quote:
 C. the researchers considered that the capuchin monkeys might not have understood whether Person A was refusing Person B's request

Let's say that we find out that this DID happen -- the researchers DID consider that the monkeys might not understand the interaction. Well... what did the researchers conclude? Did the monkeys understand, or not? We would need this additional information in order for the issue raised in (C) to actually be helpful. So, just knowing the info in (C) itself isn't enough to help us evaluate the strength of the support in the argument.

That's why (C) is out, and (D) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps! ­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts