Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [8]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT Focus 1:
695 Q85 V83 DI85
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V26
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72901 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
695 Q85 V83 DI85
Send PM
Re: GMAT: Should we really go to Infinity and Beyond? [#permalink]
Kudos

bb wrote:
Congratulations on your score!

This is an equivalent of 750 (98th percentile) despite the lack of satisfaction from a 695 number. I think that's the biggest marketing fail - they should have doubled the scores or done something other than adding a 5 and messing up the scale.... 750 had a nicer ring to it.

You should be very comfortable with that score, esp for your country. I don't think that many Indonesians are applying with such high scores, so i would not do it unless you feel you have done much better on the practice scores... and so with that information, I think you are in a safe place and there is not going to be much of an ROI to get a higher score, esp at Stanford. Everyone there applies with a 700+ or a 750+ score, so that's anything they care to see and instead you should invest into other elements of your application!

Run (or sail) and don't look back :lol:

­Thanks a lot AjiteshArun bb for your feedback. True I should be grateful instead, and I am grateful now.
I do think of the same, I am lowering my gmat intensity and prioritise to work on the other aspects of my school & scholarship application 

I have 2 checkpoints though before retaking the exam
1. Wait and see Stanford reaction about this Gmat Focus transition scoring, perhaps they would say something in May or June, nearing the R1.
2. See the updated percentile, I heard it is supposed to be updated every summer, though I am not sure what month it would be.
My hypothesis is most of 2024 applicants are still using GMAT Classic, and the geniuses trying to apply for class 2025 will take most of the GFE in Jun-Aug. I would not be so much surprised if the percentile map is to change in the future, my guess the 695 score can move up to 3% (98 to 95 percentile). I hope it wont be the case though.
For Indonesian pool applicant, we kind of lack the data since indonesian gmatclub user is so small. I know a friend got admitted to HBS with 720 score, but I also know an Indonesian alumni pursuing undergrad in US and scored high GMAT. It is tricky lol

Nevertheless my greatest regret is I have done better before. Although it was spreaded in different mock up tests, my best scaled score for each section are Q90 DI88 V84. That perfect storm might put me in the range of 735 (I notice from 695 every 2 points increment of scaled score can increase 10 points total score)

Still thanks a lot for you guys expert feedback, it makes me feel relieved.

"Keep a weather eye on the horizon"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT: Should we really go to Infinity and Beyond? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Maxsparrow,

Maxsparrow wrote:
1. Wait and see Stanford reaction about this Gmat Focus transition scoring, perhaps they would say something in May or June, nearing the R1.

I doubt they (or anyone else) will say anything about GMAT Focus scoring. There is a lot of speculation on public forums about Focus scoring and percentiles, but it is all just that: speculation. Schools, on the other hand, are most likely not going to do anything nutty.

Maxsparrow wrote:
2. See the updated percentile, I heard it is supposed to be updated every summer, though I am not sure what month it would be.

Percentiles are updated in Q3. You could also reach out to Rajat/Payal from eGMAT. IIRC, one of their recent posts indicated that they had spoken to GMAC about this.

Maxsparrow wrote:
My hypothesis is most of 2024 applicants are still using GMAT Classic, and the geniuses trying to apply for class 2025 will take most of the GFE in Jun-Aug. I would not be so much surprised if the percentile map is to change in the future, my guess the 695 score can move up to 3% (98 to 95 percentile). I hope it wont be the case though.
For Indonesian pool applicant, we kind of lack the data since indonesian gmatclub user is so small. I know a friend got admitted to HBS with 720 score, but I also know an Indonesian alumni pursuing undergrad in US and scored high GMAT. It is tricky lol

I agree that it's tricky. :)

Maxsparrow wrote:
Nevertheless my greatest regret is I have done better before. Although it was spreaded in different mock up tests, my best scaled score for each section are Q90 DI88 V84. That perfect storm might put me in the range of 735 (I notice from 695 every 2 points increment of scaled score can increase 10 points total score)

­That would be an extremely high score, probably more than 735.

Again, all the best, both for your applications and for a possible retake. :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22071 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Maxsparrow wrote:

­The good news is that you have an amazing score in your back pocket, so if you decide to retake the GMAT, you can do it stress-free. Fell free to keep us updated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats Maxsparrow on your amazing score! And thank you for being an amazing example in this lonely fight to achieve our dream. All the best for the next process & WAGMI­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations for persisting and achieving that good a score! I am hoping to achieve the same soon!! Fingers crossed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Congratulations on your score!!!

Could you share a little more of what you did to improve your verbal? Was your main gap in RC or CR? I am trying to improve my score as well, and where I have most room for improvement is in the Verbal Section.

Thank you and good luck on the application process!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
695 Q85 V83 DI85
Send PM

nikolajokic wrote:
Congratulations on your score!!!

Could you share a little more of what you did to improve your verbal? Was your main gap in RC or CR? I am trying to improve my score as well, and where I have most room for improvement is in the Verbal Section.

Thank you and good luck on the application process!

Posted from my mobile device

­Hi Jokic, 

First of all, I love the Joker too, I hope Jokic win MVP and FMVP and the second ring this season!

I was just so bad at Verbal at first, all of the question types are my Kryptonite

To start with I would recommend you to watch GMATninja youtube videos on CR and RC.
Try to "imitate" their working process, take time to absorb and make your own style based on their principle.
I feel a boost of confidence once I did the questions by eliminating the wrong choices (you will see them in the videos)

Then in the video you will listen the words "Heart of the Passage" over and over. 
For me the final kick of improving the Verbal section, might be unorthodox to others, is the lessons in the OG. Especially about premise and stuff, you will find it in one of the first parts of verbal lessons in the OG.
The lessons, I believe should not be read by beginners, but to the one who has experience many questions and still got stuck. The lessons give another perspective in reading the RC and CR Passage

If you have experienced the GMAT Classic and are familiar with the SC, I would also suggest you to watch SC from GMATNinja, as it helps a little bit in understanding complex sentence that might come (10%) during RC. But treat it as an optional / additional effort, dont focus on this one.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts