Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:57 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
river - thats what I was trying to say... -- odds dont change from R1 to R2 in any PREDICTABLE way.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
river - thats what I was trying to say... -- odds dont change from R1 to R2 in any PREDICTABLE way.

I got you...just trying to expand for anyone else. Plus we know you are the essay king so that probably helped.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, not predictable at all. I think that a lot depends on actual application volume compared with anticipated application volume. If they don't match, then schools could have more or less seats to fill than they planned for.

If the school has any kind of early decision or uses rolling admissions, I would say earlier should be better. Columbia is the most obvious example in both cases. Some schools, UCLA stands out most in my memory, have a regular applicatin deadline but release decisions on a rolling basis, so earlier might be better for these places as well. For example, I believe UCLA, Darden and others review applications as they come complete, so even though the application deadline is fixed for each round, it behooves you to have all materials (recs, transcripts, etc.) complete as early as possible as your decision could get rendered earlier in the round, potentially when more seats are available.

Then there is pretty well-discussed speculation that the sharks - the applicants from feeder jobs/schools who have been prepping their applications for years - tend to apply in R1, making the field more competitive regardless of the percentages. This makes sense to me, though there's no way to prove it of course.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Then there is pretty well-discussed speculation that the sharks - the applicants from feeder jobs/schools who have been prepping their applications for years - tend to apply in R1, making the field more competitive regardless of the percentages. This makes sense to me, though there's no way to prove it of course.

I always was under the impression that schools try and have a diverse class and with that they take people with different backgrounds. Now if you are in an industry like IB or MC and a majority of people from that go get MBAs then you are going against them so the cream of the crop of those may apply R1 since they have known for the last few years this is what they were going to do. Now if you work in a field where its not typical to go get an MBA people who randomly decide to go get them will probably be more spread out.

I would tend to think that though most schools publish their overall acceptance rates they don't break down chances against particular groups. A school isn't going to want a class of 95% of IB who want to go into PE or HF. Even if those are the most qualified candidates. A lot of schools seem to have about a 35/35/30% split between Business backgrounds, Engineering backgrounds, and then everything else (+/- 5% on each). But if people with business backgrounds make up 50% of the applicants then thats a tougher hill to climb. If you work at a bank in NYC your competition is a lot tougher than someone who worked for a major company in their leadership programs. Thats because there are going to be 10x times the applicants with your profile, much like people always talk about how difficult it is for Indians in IT...both are proportionally very large applicant groups in the grand scheme of the MBA application process. Also from talking to people from that field I know who have gone or are going for MBAs, IB seem to be the people who take the GMAT prep classes, have private tutors, use consultants, and visit every school they apply to no matter the cost...all in order to create the uber candidate.

An ideal candidate is a black female doctor who played on the women's world cup soccer team and also does charity work with aids orphans in Sudan. Or someone without a college degree who happens to get the president his coffee every morning. Either one gets you into harvard pretty easy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What I've heard, learnt or made up (for Ultra Elites only):

Stanford & MIT: apply in R1.
Columbia: apply ED.
the others: R1 and R2 are more or less the same.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks for the great discussion guys!

I think I'll stick to my original plans.

Stanford R1 - Just because Stanford is super tough and I need every advantage I can get (and not as many IB feeder companies send people to this one, as they're more GM and away from the other coast =P)

Berkeley R1 - Again, to increase my chances. Even if I get waitlisted (which I heard the waitlisters have a 50% chance of getting in), I will probably be one of the first to be re-considered when R2 apps go in and they can compare me with that class)

UCLA R1 - the whole rolling decisions thing. And I heard they can give out decisions as early as mid-December (from Admissions 411.com). That's a nice "Xmas Gift" to have from a good school!

Chicago and/or Kellogg - R2. Because it doesn't really matter and I simply do not have the time to do 5 apps in R1 all by mid-October (let alone the expressions my recommenders will have when I tell them that I'm applying to 5 schools!) I'll save it for the holiday season to work on Chicago and Kellogg essays. Maybe I'll put an animated Xmas tree in my Chicago powerpoints (don't go and copy that idea now! :P )

I think those will be the 4 or 5 I apply to unless a huge revelation occurs. I will be talking to an NYU grad, but from what I heard, she had a hard time getting placements on the West coast, which is where I want to end up eventually. So that may be out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
R1 and R2 admit chance much depends on your application. So, don't jump in R1 just because you think your odd is better. Nevertheless, if you already had a full year preparation, R1 is a better choice regarding to your consideration of matriculation and scholarship if you're lucky enough. But R3 definitely hurts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think R1 and R2 admit the same number of applicants (around 40% each) and the remaining 20% go in R3
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess the only difference is in R1 if you're an Indian IT or Caucasian/Asian consulting person, the adcom won't get sick of reading that demography yet, thus your essays do not need to stand out *as much* as in R2, when they would have seen thousands by then.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Re: Differences between R1 and R2 [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Differences between R1 and R2 [#permalink]