Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:06 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
H1-B visa does not imply "immigrant status" - if that were so, each of the 65000 H1-B visa applicants would be treated as an immigrant.

you have to switch to F1, by sending in a form to INS - they approve that form and immediately cancel your H-1 and switch your status to F1. You dont have to leave the US to carry out this process.

So, I don't see a problem here. I have been to a lot of student sessions and met a fair number of applicants with H-1B visas.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well since I dont reside in the US, and have visited the US only once (for 2 weeks), I am truly an international candidate. I am not too concerned about the citizenship / work visa issue, since Australia has a separate work visa arrangement with the US.

I am concerned about the loan and the banking system in the US. How easy is it to finance the MBA? What types of loans are available ? What kind of collateral do they require ?

Also what type of paperwork is required to get the F1 visa if you are not already in the US ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
H1-B visa does not imply "immigrant status" - if that were so, each of the 65000 H1-B visa applicants would be treated as an immigrant.

you have to switch to F1, by sending in a form to INS - they approve that form and immediately cancel your H-1 and switch your status to F1. You dont have to leave the US to carry out this process.

So, I don't see a problem here. I have been to a lot of student sessions and met a fair number of applicants with H-1B visas.

aviroop, I wasn talking about H1B status as being considered 'immigrant' status.
I was asking about the i-480 application - a.k.a EAD application which you file once your priority date becomes current.

Now filing this exposes your immigrant intent and you cannot get a F1 after u file for EAD (atleast that what I have heard)

going from H1B to F1 is not an issue as you stated.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am also in a similar situation. I had posted similar questions on - https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... multaneous

and

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=45988 (The later part of the thread)

In the end I just decided to go ahead with both the GC and MBA applications without worrying about them so much .. this was the only way I could stay sane.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:
aviroop wrote:

aviroop, I wasn talking about H1B status as being considered 'immigrant' status.
I was asking about the i-480 application - a.k.a EAD application which you file once your priority date becomes current.

Now filing this exposes your immigrant intent and you cannot get a F1 after u file for EAD (atleast that what I have heard)

going from H1B to F1 is not an issue as you stated.

sorry, I midunderstood your post -
As far as I know, you can still pursue school - the school will not give you an F1 visa, but something on the lines of your EAD - I know coz one of my friends (from europe), came down here, filed an application for immigration, and then went to school - he did not get a F1 visa - I am not clear what he did, but I will call him to find out
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
An interesting article I came across -

https://www.collegejournal.com/mbacenter ... alsop.html

Guess il always have the tech cushion to fall back on ! or atleast I think.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
CPT/OPT already used during MS? [#permalink]
I'm sure all of you, who have done Masters from US have used some of your CPT, and most of your OPT (EAD period). I know that there is a limited time one an use for OPT/CPT (1 year) for a masters (be it Science or BA).
So if I have used 8 months of CPT working as an intern already, I have just months of CPT left for MBA. Same for OPT.
This disappoints me.
Does anyone believe the rules play otherwise ..?
GMAT Club Bot
CPT/OPT already used during MS? [#permalink]