Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:25 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hobbit gives good advice.

On the GMAT topic. I would not have mentioned it had I not received feed back from a professor about the GMAT score during my application experience.

I scored a 690 (91%) and was told by a chaired prof. at a mid-low ranked school to rewrite the GMAT. This could be a matter of opinion depending on professors, but thought it was worth mentioning from prior experience.

But in any case good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Generally I think hobbit is right, but my opinion is a little different on a couple things.

Your GMAT is important. My sense is that if you score in mid or even high 600's with 50/51 math, some (good) schools might view it unfavorably, and others might be fine with it. I will say that the rest of your profile probably makes you a strong candidate, so a sub 700 GMAT should not dissuade you from applying. It's a bit of a crapshoot even for people with all their ducks in a row, so just do the best you can and hope for the best!

I don't think your many degrees are a minus or question mark. They are all good and logical for finance, and they don't lead to an obvious, deep-rooted, unrelated career path, at least in what you've written. For example, if you had a law degree and was partnership track at a good firm, they might question why you want to now do finance.

As far as schools to apply, after you've honed in on schools that fit strongly with your interests, there may be a reasonable number left. This is one of the hardest parts in applying. If you aim too low, you could have missed out on a top program. If you aim too high, you might not get in anywhere. If you are willing to apply to more than one admissions cycle, one strategy is to shoot high the first time and go from there. The reason why I say that is that if you shoot low or diversify, you might leave yourself with a tricky decision on whether to take an offer at a lower ranked school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you for the marvelous tip, guys.

I am not worried about the multiple of degrees I have; I actually think they will affect me favorably. What worries me is the low GMAT score. What air1980 said is actually true. I went to a business graduate school recruitment forum and I have asked a couple of professors (some in the lower tier of my list above) who were on the admission committee of their respective school and they flatly told me that they use GMAT as the only tool to pick the top 20 applicants using excel!!! It is a shame that with all the $$ we pay, the application doesn't even pass the secretary.

That scared the hell out of me and I postponed my application for two years. As hobbit and bauble said, I have stopped looking at ranking and started concentrating on a FIT but the two are not entirely mutually exclusive. But I will try to apply to those that are ranked lower and two rounds of application is a smart move. I will definitely do that with 7 to 10 schools in each round. Also, I will do my best on my SOP. Thanks guys.

Are any of you applying?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
mamo,

I applied last year and I am going to be a PhD finance student in about a month.

The GMAT was what did me in and after talking to that professor I mentioned above I decided I would only apply to one school. It is a Canadian school (not UBC or Toronto) , and the prof I will be working with is great. We have almost identical research interests and he is a really nice guy. And in actuality I probably would have ended up where I am regardless what happened.

But, there are certainly times that I wish that I would have re-wrote the GMAT to get into the running of that next level (the UCLA, UT Austin level). I have a background similar to yours except replace Comp. Sci with EE, and with lower marks. But I have research experience and have some papers in the works...

Kind regards and best of luck...
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4387 posts