Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Probability of Acceptance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sofere wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me my chances of getting into top schools (i.e. Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Kellogg) for Fall 2005 admission on a scale of Poor, Fair, Good, Pretty Good.

I know that the answer in general is it depends, but I was hoping I might be able to get a straighter answer. Anyways, here are my credentials:

Graduated from SUNY Buffalo in May, 2003 with a 3.65 gpa, with pretty good extracirricular activities. Got a 750 on the GMAT.

What worries me is job experience. I will have only been working for a little over 2 years by Sept 2005.

I was a billing analyst for a Physical Therapy office for the summer before senior year and a couple of months after graduation and had a huge impact on cash flow (i.e. 20% increase in revenues).

Since then I have been a fund accountant for a rapidly growing mutual fund company in which my responsibilities have grown and will continue to grow fairly consistently (even though it is a pretty horizontal organizational structure, so I probably won't technically get a "promotion" unless I work here for at least 5-10 years or so)

Can anyone give me a broad idea of my chances of getting into top B-schools? Also, if you have any suggestions of things I can do to increase my chances for Sept. 2005 admission, please let me know.

Thanks a bunch.

Your stats are great. You are correct that your youth/experience may be a problem. The key for you will be selecting schools that are friendly to younger applicants and support your goals. Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, and Columbia immediately come to mind. Wharton tends to prefer more experienced applicants. Kellogg is a somewhere in the middle when it comes to age and experience.

Secondly, you need to demonstrate in your application that you have achieved in two years what it takes others more time to do. You also need to show maturity. BAsed on your brief post, you can probably do both.

For more information, please review our article, "MBA Admissions: Application Advice for Younger Applicants."

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Probability of Acceptance [#permalink]