Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:42 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:

I've read the speech about 7 times, made a rough sketch of how it relates to me and where I want to go. However, I think that if you get caught up in the speech, you will lose focus on what the actual question is. The speech is for reference and how it applies to you, the question is the main part that they want answered. Touch on the speech, but don't center on the speech. But that's my opinion though.

Anyway, on another note. Is quoting from the speech directly too crass?

I couldn't agree with you more. At first, I started writing about whatever was in the speech. It actually took an effort on my part to realise that the speech was a means to the end and not the end itself. But I have grown pretty crazy. I mean, I practically made a document out of the Columbia website about why Columbia is the greatest school in the world and even now I have no idea what to do about rapdily changing business environments.

And about the quoting part, see this:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=50078
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks man.

Well, maybe you could breakdown what a rapidly changing business world would mean to you - what are the key factors in a r.c.b.w?

1. Adaptability
2. Globalization (cross borders)
3. Opportunity
etc.

then see how having an MBA would allow you to have a factor, or influence a factor.

That's what I did.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
p.s. you made a document of the website?!

that's way further than I've gone....

:(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Admissions Chat Alert!!!

Columbia Business School Alumni and the Office of Admissions
cordially invite you to a Live Chat Event on Business Week Forums.

Linda B. Meehan, Assistant Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid and 2007 CBS graduate Lauren Franks will be answering questions about everything from how to write a great application essay to the first-year workload at CBS.

Monday, August 13, 2007 at 1:00 p.m. EDT

Head to https://www.businessweek.com/bschools for access to the chat about 10 minutes before show time. There, you’ll find a promo for the chat that will feature a link to the chat room. Click on it. You’ll need to register with BW before participating; it’s free and won’t take more than a few minutes.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:

Don't quote. Ever. Specially if you want to quote from something originated by the school (speech, website, brochure, etc.).

My suggestion for the application question:
Try to grasp the concepts from the speech and somewhat relate them to what you think, but be careful not to sound "brainwashed at 1st sight". It's ok to partially disagree with the speech (which I haven't read) or at least agree with aspects of it and ignore the rest.

L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
adc_away wrote:

Don't quote. Ever. Specially if you want to quote from something originated by the school (speech, website, brochure, etc.).

My suggestion for the application question:
Try to grasp the concepts from the speech and somewhat relate them to what you think, but be careful not to sound "brainwashed at 1st sight". It's ok to partially disagree with the speech (which I haven't read) or at least agree with aspects of it and ignore the rest.

L.

I completely agree with u Lepium. We shouldnot quote from the speech.
I have tried to take a gist of small part of the speech and tried to tie it with my goals. I m still working on it. Have written only 250 words yet.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is anyones app ready for ED?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am trying to finish the app in the next 10-15 days, but I can't visit Columbia till the last week of Sept. In fact I am planning to dedicate the last week of Sept to my trips to east-coast schools. So, I will wait till the end of Sept to submit my Columbia application.

Originally posted by mNeo on 11 Aug 2007, 17:50.
Last edited by mNeo on 11 Aug 2007, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
MNeo or Abishek or anyone else applying in ED- if either of you get admitted in ED, are you ready to join Columbia and giving up the other apps? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
abhishek.sardana wrote:
Is anyones app ready for ED?

I am applying ED and I think I about a week away from completing my app. So, I think I will turn it in end of next week.

The BIG problem is that my recommender has not started working on his letter yet. I know once he gets to it he will get it done in 2 - 3 days. However, I am not sure when he will get to it.

Who else is doing ED?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will make my final decision about going ED or RD after I visit some east-coast schools next month. So far, based on what I've found about Columbia, I would happily go there (If I get an admit). Do not underestimate the power of NYC, my friend :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Since review for the ED starts from Aug 15, does it make sense to submit the applications asap or hold on for a while. I am going over my essays and making edits to them.

I will be submitting way before October 10, but is there any advantage in sumbitting on September 15 versus September 30.

Does Columbia review applications immediately, or pile them up and start reviewing after the deadline?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Since review for the ED starts from Aug 15, does it make sense to submit the applications asap or hold on for a while. I am going over my essays and making edits to them.

I will be submitting way before October 10, but is there any advantage in sumbitting on September 15 versus September 30.

Does Columbia review applications immediately, or pile them up and start reviewing after the deadline?

It is Rolling admission, so they will review it immediately. No piling up in this case.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I am trying to finish the app in the next 10-15 days, but I can't visit Columbia till the last week of Sept. In fact I am planning to dedicate the last week of Sept to my trips to east-coast schools. So, I will wait till the end of Sept to submit my Columbia application.

The school visits will start in October. And I dont think they expect the ED candidates to visit the schools.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well they have on campus info sessions all August and September. And they have class-visit programs starting from mid-September. So it is possible to visit the school even for ED.

Moreover, someone suggested me (And I agree with him now) that one should visit the school on a day when there's no admission event going on. That way you get more attention (Less competition), and get more non-prepared stories about the school from students.

As far as "Columbia expecting students to visit for ED" goes, well we will never know what is it that they truly expect :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
MNeo or Abishek or anyone else applying in ED- if either of you get admitted in ED, are you ready to join Columbia and giving up the other apps? :)

Yes.

:)
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Who out there has completed the Glenn Hubbard Essay? I have a first draft and am absolutely not sure what I am doing...anyone wanting to exchange ideas??? I guess we can talk via PM
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42