Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:45 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't like PR CATs that much but they do predict your quant performance fairly well. I can't say the same about verbal though. The highest I got in PR verbal was 41 while my score on real GMAT was 47.

I'd advise to search the forums as well. There were a lot of discussions about the accuracy of PR and other CATs on this forum in the past.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't like PR CATs either. I found GMAT Prep 2 to be the best indicator, then GMAT Prep 1, McGraw-Hill and MGMAT. Not a lot of people have talked about the MGHill CATs but they were pretty close to the real thing. The interface is different but the Qs were fairly similar to the real thing. IMO more so than MGMAT especially in regards to the verbal section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well.....In my experience, princeton CATs will punish you really bad if you commit errors in the first 10 questions.

Sample this, I committed 8 mistakes in verbal of test#2 but only one in top 10 (#10 to be precise) and was rewarded with a V42.
But in test #3, while the no. of mistakes were more or less the same( 9 in this case), I committed 3 errors in top 10 (namely #2,#3 and #9) and was busted down to a V33.

Also, I think that the maths algo skews your quant score down, for reasons known only to GOD himself. I made only 4 errors in quant, none in top 15 AND all placed at comfortable distances to each other. Yet I got only a 48, I mean gimme a break; 4 errors on tough questions in such a circumstance translates to a Q50 on GMAT from what ive heard.

Personally I'll not take these scores to my heart, just check your errors. Or if you are gung-ho just compare the number of errors.

P.S: And Mr. Kaplan is no exception (in fact, he is worse!!!) :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
devansh_god wrote:
Well.....In my experience, princeton CATs will punish you really bad if you commit errors in the first 10 questions.

Sample this, I committed 8 mistakes in verbal of test#2 but only one in top 10 (#10 to be precise) and was rewarded with a V42.
But in test #3, while the no. of mistakes were more or less the same( 9 in this case), I committed 3 errors in top 10 (namely #2,#3 and #9) and was busted down to a V33.

Also, I think that the maths algo skews your quant score down, for reasons known only to GOD himself. I made only 4 errors in quant, none in top 15 AND all placed at comfortable distances to each other. Yet I got only a 48, I mean gimme a break; 4 errors on tough questions in such a circumstance translates to a Q50 on GMAT from what ive heard.

Personally I'll not take these scores to my heart, just check your errors. Or if you are gung-ho just compare the number of errors.

P.S: And Mr. Kaplan is no exception (in fact, he is worse!!!) :wink:

Yea Kaplan is pretty bad...there are a bunch of bad CATs out there. But at the same time there are a whole bunch of CATs that provide a pretty good idea. 2GMAT Prep, 6 MGMAT, 6 McGraw-Hill. 14 CATs, not counting reinstalls of GMAT Prep...plenty of practice tests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
Not a lot of people have talked about the MGHill CATs but they were pretty close to the real thing. The interface is different but the Qs were fairly similar to the real thing. IMO more so than MGMAT especially in regards to the verbal section.

Is it so ? There has not been much discussion on MGHill CATs. Good to know. Can someone else also testimony these CATs?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yea i think kaplan is pretty bad too, but the thing is kaplan is much harder then PR, atleast the quants part is,. As i have read in this forum MGMAT's are the next closest thing to GMAT after Gmatprep, though MGMAT quants is toooo hard.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
empty_spaces wrote:
yea i think kaplan is pretty bad too, but the thing is kaplan is much harder then PR, atleast the quants part is,. As i have read in this forum MGMAT's are the next closest thing to GMAT after Gmatprep, though MGMAT quants is toooo hard.

MGMAT quant scoring is bit linient which compensates the high level of difficulty. 8-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
i havent done any Gmatprep tests till now but how much would someone score in each section if he gets say 10 wrong on quants and 12-14 wrong in verbal....just trying to access myself :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well you cannot answer such kindo f questions due to the adaptive nature of the Test. You need to take GMATPrep and gauge yourself.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
as trahul mentioned, GMAT is an adaptive test. It doesn't matter how many you answer correctly. What matters is how many 'difficult' questions you answer correctly. Getting an extremely difficult question wrong might be better for your final score than getting a trivial question right.

To reach the 'difficult' questions you need to focus on the first few questions and try and get them all correct. You will notice that the questions will get progressively harder.

Give gmatprep a go.

cheers.

empty_spaces wrote:
i havent done any Gmatprep tests till now but how much would someone score in each section if he gets say 10 wrong on quants and 12-14 wrong in verbal....just trying to access myself :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks Trahul and bsdlover for your reply's, as i had mentioned earlier aswell, i always seem to get questions wrong in bulk and i dont know why, its like i always get 6-7 correct at a time and then get 3-4 wrong at a stretch and i am not able to get rid of that, what should i do about it ? any ideas ?
I think getting questions wrong at a stretch hurts the score more...isnt it?

adding to above ...

I am very inconsistent, like in my first Kaplan test i scored 34 in verbal and i had around 70% hit rate with SC and 55-60% with both CR and RC ....in my second KAPLAN i again scored a 34 in verbal but this time i had a hit rate of 60% in SC and 65-70% in both CR and RC.

In the first MGMAT i yet again scored a 34 in verbal with 47% correct SC and 60% correct CR and RC

in 2 nd MGMAT i scored 35 in verbal with 70% SC , 45% CR and 55% RC.

in my normal practice other then the exams i always have 80% or better hit rate in CR and 70 - 85% hit rate with SC and i have never practiced RC.

but my results are so varied that i cant corner out my weak area, so i am pretty confused.

Also, this is my 4th week of GMAT preparation and although i havent taken a date till now i intend to sit for it in 2nd week of sep.

i think i will give a Gmatprep exam this weekend to really access my current status.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I found the PR scores to be quite accurate, not necessarily the questions, but the scores.

I found the quant questions to be very easy. I used to finish the entire section in half an hour. But they punished you for an incorrect answer. I would finish with a 50 when I only had 3 questions wrong.

The verbal questions are more on par with the real thing.

Of course, don't forget that GMATPrep is GOLDEN.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yea princeton Quan is definitely very easy, i got 46 with 4 wrong (all silly stupid mistakes) maybe because i gave the exam at 1 in the night.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]