Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ruhi wrote:
Hi anonymousegmat,

Thank you very much for your response. My university is the second largest in Missouri. What I meant is that it's not in the top bracket. It's not like it's unknown or anything.

About the GMAT, I took is a very long time ago and I started tutoring only recently. Quants was very good (I got more than 48 in fact) and so was AWA. The Verbal RC totally screwed up my score. Anyway, I do plan to re-take it.

Can you tell me what kind of schools I should be looking at? I really want to do a PhD only from the Top 20. If I don't get into the Top Schools, then I won't do it.

i don't know anyting about finance... so i don't know what the top programs are. i am still trying to figure out what the top programs are in my disclipne :)

what kind of research are you interested in doing? start looking in journals for articles that interest you, look at who is writing them. look at where they teach. look at who they cite and where they teach. those are YOUR top programs.

PhD is very personal. you are gonna spend 4-6 years working with people , researching and teaching... you need to be working for professors who interest you or else you will be miserable!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
anonymousegmat wrote:
ruhi wrote:
Hi anonymousegmat,

Thank you very much for your response. My university is the second largest in Missouri. What I meant is that it's not in the top bracket. It's not like it's unknown or anything.

About the GMAT, I took is a very long time ago and I started tutoring only recently. Quants was very good (I got more than 48 in fact) and so was AWA. The Verbal RC totally screwed up my score. Anyway, I do plan to re-take it.

Can you tell me what kind of schools I should be looking at? I really want to do a PhD only from the Top 20. If I don't get into the Top Schools, then I won't do it.

i don't know anyting about finance... so i don't know what the top programs are. i am still trying to figure out what the top programs are in my disclipne :)

what kind of research are you interested in doing? start looking in journals for articles that interest you, look at who is writing them. look at where they teach. look at who they cite and where they teach. those are YOUR top programs.

PhD is very personal. you are gonna spend 4-6 years working with people , researching and teaching... you need to be working for professors who interest you or else you will be miserable!

Thank you for your reply. Let me rephrase the question: I do know what are the best schools out there for Finance. But I wanted to know if someone can tell me what "bracket" (Transelite, Near Elite, Elite etc.) I should be targeting acc. my profile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
ruhi wrote:
Thank you for your reply. Let me rephrase the question: I do know what are the best schools out there for Finance. But I wanted to know if someone can tell me what "bracket" (Transelite, Near Elite, Elite etc.) I should be targeting acc. my profile.

Unfortunately I think the answer mostly hinges on what you currently hope will be a job in asset management, as it is the only thing you could say stands out from other applications.

Finance is the most competitive field at the PhD level, and many applicants have MS Economics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science degrees, and from the level of math that's needed to go through asset pricing textbooks I can tell you that this type of experience is likely more important than CFA exams when it comes down to going through a Finance PhD program successfully. However if you can figure out a way to spin an asset management job as an advantage over these types of people, then you might stand a chance. Otherwise I'd say a top 20 Finance PhD program would be a stretch (although not impossible).
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4386 posts