Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:34 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Even if a school technically allows deferrals, you will show yourselves in poor light by asking for a deferrel unless you can clearly demonstrate that the circumstance forcing you to request the deferral occured after your application was submitted.

In most goals essays, you will need to answer the implict "Why MBA now" question. After convincing the ad-com on this subject, you cant just turn around and say "BTW, I am not enrolling this year...".

If you do this and then re-apply the next year, the school may even ding you for the heck of it.

edit:Note that some schools ask you to re-apply even if they grant you deferral.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Schools frown upon it because they take it as you are going to try for tougher schools and if you get in then you wont show up. Unless its related to medical issues, family emergency, or something very serious then its tough. Some schools do give them to college students who they want to have more work experience. Getting a promotion or something like that isn't a good reasons.

I did talk to one person who deferred for a year because they found out his wife was having a baby and they owned their own business. She was going to run it by herself but with the baby due right around the start of school they pushed it back a year and they got the OK.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Schools frown upon it because they take it as you are going to try for tougher schools and if you get in then you wont show up. Unless its related to medical issues, family emergency, or something very serious then its tough. Some schools do give them to college students who they want to have more work experience. Getting a promotion or something like that isn't a good reasons.

I did talk to one person who deferred for a year because they found out his wife was having a baby and they owned their own business. She was going to run it by herself but with the baby due right around the start of school they pushed it back a year and they got the OK.

Unless it's a HSW I would agree with rive. I heard a case of a guy who got into HBS and asked to be deffered, they didn't accepted; however, told him that if he wanted to apply next year he just would need to make an essay. But, the guys is Stellar, Top 1 from a Top college, very high performing professional, and his reason was because he had with some colleagues opened their business...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I see.

Probably, as we say in French, I'm better off hammering the steel while it is still hot - litteral translation that may not make much sense to anyone -

Thanks to all of you anyway, this was extremely helpful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Deferring admission [#permalink]
Hi,

I had applied to INSEAD for the August 2014 intake but got this response:

The Admissions Committee has decided that you need to gain at least one more year of professional experience before attending the INSEAD MBA programme. This additional experience would better prepare you for the course.
Consequently, on behalf of the Admissions Committee, it is my great pleasure to offer you a place in the INSEAD MBA Class of July 2016, starting in Singapore on 24 August 2015.
Congratulations and welcome to the worldwide INSEAD community!
Admissions Requirements
As your admission to the programme is conditional on you gaining additional work experience, please provide an update on any new aspects of your professional, international, academic or personal profile. This information will need to be sent to your Admissions Officer by 1 June, 2015.

I have been trying to understand what exactly this means but have not been able to get through anyone in a similar situation. as anyone received a deferred admit before? What does this mean? Is this an almost-admit? I don't mind waiting another year (it in fact fits in better in the long run) but I want to know what my chances of getting reject next year are? What should I do? I am confused and re-evaluating my plan considering the position I am in. Please let me know if you have or if you know someone who has been admitted conditionally - would be really helpful.

Thanks!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Hey there,

This probably would have gotten a little more attention on its own thread but we can definitely help you here. The short answer is you're fine. The ONLY reason you would get rejected next year is if you do not meet the conditions INSEAD has laid out. They want you to have another year of work experience. So effectively "you're in until you're out". If you get another year of experience and bolster that aspect of your profile, you'll be just fine.

Congrats on the acceptance to INSEAD!

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hey there,

This probably would have gotten a little more attention on its own thread but we can definitely help you here. The short answer is you're fine. The ONLY reason you would get rejected next year is if you do not meet the conditions INSEAD has laid out. They want you to have another year of work experience. So effectively "you're in until you're out". If you get another year of experience and bolster that aspect of your profile, you'll be just fine.

Congrats on the acceptance to INSEAD!

Bhavik

Phew, okay that's comforting. Posted it in a couple of places hoping there would be someone who has been through it on one of the threads.
Thanks Bhavik! :)
GMAT Club Bot