Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:22 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
iokita wrote:
Hi Rrong19,
I am about to submit my
applications for university of Illinois and Vanderbilt. Their R1 deadlines are next week so I'm just waiting on 1 more reccomendor, she comes back from a convention today so I'm going to have to make sure she can get it done.

I think 700+ gmat is good for all the schools listed, so good luck on the test!

I am applying this year as well.
3.8 cumulative gpa, 4.0 economics major~top 30 USA university
numerous math classes including calc sequence, time series, probability, stochastic processes, linear algebra, regression analysis, econometrics
gre 800 (94%) Q/ 550 V (73%)/ 5.0 A (73%)
worked at the federal reserve past 2 years
solid recs from phds from harvard, columbia, and maryland

at the moment i am only applying to 3 schools:
vanderbilt, washington university, princeton

anyone have any other school suggestions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I am looking at the following:
Vanderbilt - MSF, Uni Florida - MSF, Boston College - MSF, Rochester - M.S. Management, Finance Spec., UI - Urbana Champaign - MSF

Students at Boston and Rochester have an average of 3-4 years of full-time experience so that might be an issue (I will have only 1).

Also, as far as recruiting is concerned, it seems that the best opportunities are local.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
It sounds like you guys have great admissions profiles, hopefully all of the competition won't be that steep. I'm a bit worried about how competetive I may be now.

Raptr - I've heard great things about Rochester's placement in finance, so I took a look at their site. The last full-time class had an average of 1.9 years of work exp. (https://www.simon.rochester.edu/ms/fast_facts.aspx) Not to mention, the GMAT and GPA isn't that high. So, it might not be that much of an issue for you.

I'll probably consider this school as well. I'm also looking into Illinois Institute of Technology and Case Western Reserve MSF programs as back ups.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
[quote="iokita"]It sounds like you guys have great admissions profiles, hopefully all of the competition won't be that steep. I'm a bit worried about how competetive I may be now.

Raptr - I've heard great things about Rochester's placement in finance, so I took a look at their site. The last full-time class had an average of 1.9 years of work exp. (https://www.simon.rochester.edu/ms/fast_facts.aspx) Not to mention, the GMAT and GPA isn't that high. So, it might not be that much of an issue for you.

I'll probably consider this school as well. I'm also looking into Illinois Institute of Technology and Case Western Reserve MSF programs as back ups.[/quote]

I just took a look at the Fast Facts page. 65% female, not bad :DD

Now seriously, Rochester looks very good as far as finance is concerned. Their MBA in Finance program is ranked 13th in the country by USNews. I have also heard good things about recruiting. The only thing that I kinda bothers me is the fact that it is a management program. Meaning, schools generally won't let you get a second MBA and I am not sure whether an M.S. in Management won't preclude you from going for an MBA afterwards. And I certainly plan to...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
LOL I noticed the male:female ratio too. But I understand what you mean about a MS in management. I'd like to leave the option of an MBA open, so that would be a problem.

Also, I was wondering if you considered Villanova's MSF. There was a post on this school earlier; although the poster wasn't too happy with the recruiting. But they seem to do pretty well with I-banks and have a good reputation in the area.
Manager
Manager
[#permalink]
Kudos
I've visited the Villanova info session a few weeks ago. It seemed like a nice school. The class size is fairly small (around 25). They emphasis that the school wants all of its graduates to get a job in the front office and that most major i-banks come to the school to recruit.

A question for you guys. Any idea on what kind of jobs are available for someone who graduates from Univ of Ill MSF program? My goal is to get an i-banking job. I was wondering what the placements are like for a graduate of Univ of Ill mSF program.

Also, from doing my research, it seems like if you want a career in Finance, MSF is not a bad way to go compared to an MBA, which is more of a general management program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
MSF is way more technical than an MBA but honestly, in terms of career prospects, I don;t think that the two can be compared. If I-banking is your thing I would think that (assuming you don't have another advanced degree) you should be shooting for an analyst position.

Also, I haven't considered Villanova because I am applying to UK schools too and I can handle only a certain number of applications at time.
Manager
Manager
[#permalink]
I agree with you on career prospects.. MBA is better than MSF... And, you are also right... I am looking for an analyst position after getting my MSF, although I have 2 yrs work experience and am I CPA.

Good luck with your school search!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't know if you guys would be interested to hear this but I just got rejected by Oxford. Not unexpected, but a rejection is never a good thing:)

Maybe it's my score of 710 which is lower than last year's average (730), maybe it's something else. Who knows. It is what it is, life goes on.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
raptr wrote:
I don't know if you guys would be interested to hear this but I just got rejected by Oxford. Not unexpected, but a rejection is never a good thing:)

Maybe it's my score of 710 which is lower than last year's average (730), maybe it's something else. Who knows. It is what it is, life goes on.

Sorry to hear that..guess Oxford MS is very competitive.

but were you invited to interview?? ...i emailed the univ. They said 710 is good provided that your quant percentile is 90% up . Can you share with us what you think impeded you from being accepted? I wil probably apply in R2 ...so looking forwards to your advice :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
No, I was not invited for an interview. I can only guess what the reason is, they do not provide specific feedback, so I don’t want to speculate because I will only confuse you.

My biggest concern was my not-so-solid math background. Oxford’s program is a “Master of Financial Economics” program, and as far as I am informed it is very quantitative. I hold a B.Sc. in Economics & Accounting with a minor in Bus. Law but my school just doesn’t place enough emphasis on math courses. I hoped that I can make up for that through a high score on the Quant section (I got 50) and through my membership in MENSA.

At the same time, the reason could lie somewhere else. Maybe my goal (IB in emerging markets) didn't fit, maybe my personality as a whole didn’t fit. As I said, I just don’t want to make random suggestions.

I wanted to apply in R1 because, as per Oxford's MFE website, if you are admitted in R1 you will be given access to Oxford's career services. This is done so that successful applicants in R1 can try to secure a summer internship prior to the beginning of the course. In this regard, I won't be surprised in R1 attracts more candidates than R2.

Again, I may be wrong:) Best of luck with your application
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MSF Brandeis [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi guys I am Pepe from Greece, 22, male. I just got accepted to the MSF of Brandeis starting in January (Full time). Should I wait for the responses of other universities that i've applied (Syracuse, illinois at urbana, vanderbilt, GW, Temple) or just accept Brandeis?If I wait for the other univ, I probably miss the deadline deposit for Brandeis + won't have much time for the student visa....Finally is it good?

BS in Economics
600 Gmat, Q47 (81%)

Thank you beforehand.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pepe, congratulations on your acceptance. I don;t know that much about Brandeis, but it was my impression that they had a decent MSF program. From all the schools that you mentioned, I am only familiar with Vanderbilt's and Urbana Champaign's programs. Correct me if I am wrong, both school's average GMAT is way above 600. In this regard, you may wanna consider accepting Brandeis' offer. Again, I am not familiar with the remaining 3 programs that you indicated. It is really your call.

Think about what you want to do with your career after graduation and take a look at the classes each program offers. Also, look for post-graduate placement statistics.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
raptr, thank you so much for your response :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good to see more people visiting the forum :).

Brandeis is pretty well known in the Massachusetts area and I've heard some good things about the school. If you are depending on a student Visa Brandeis sounds like a good bet. Also, Illinois and GW seem partial to candidates with work exp.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you for telling your opinions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I am Pavan from India. I have pursued my Bachelor of Commerce degree & PGDBM(MBA equivalent) in finance and marketing.

I have currently 2 years of work exp and looking forward to pursue MS in finance from US university.
I am taking up my GMAT in DEC 2007 and willing to apply for Aug 2008 admissions.

Kindly suggest me with below questions:

1. How are the career prospects in I-banking after MS finance (i.e Salaries, positions etc)?

2. will my MBA degree add some value along with MS finance?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts