Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Re: salaries in India after MBA [#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Was wondering about this a bit..

I guess gone are the days when one would jump in joy after getting an annual six figure sum in Indian rupees.

Whats the salary for a newly minted MBA person who returns from USA to work in IB/MC/PE. In terms of IB, I know its mostly equity research and a bit of M&A that goes on in India but sales and trading seem to be growing on..

I have been hearing some figures (inlcuding bonuses) that are almost similar to the 100k figure one earns in NYC..

Is this true? One of my Indian friends at Credit Suisse told me he earns approx $70,000 annually(including bonus) in Mumbai.

Some opinions here please... :lol:

$70k including bonus is less than what IB analysts make. In fact, the $100k figure you are citing is probably less than what most IB analysts have made over the last couple of years in NY or London. First year associates (the level that MBAs are typically hired in to) at bulge bracket banks averaged about $275k last year including bonus. As I understand it, in the past MBAs in India have been hired on as analysts rather than associates. I don't know if this continues to be true, but the figures you cite seem to support this.

I've attached a comp chart published in the NY Post last year. The Class of '05 would have been 1st years at the time of this survey last year. This year's figures should be out in the next few weeks.
Attachments

Comp Chart.jpg
Comp Chart.jpg [ 122.47 KiB | Viewed 7451 times ]

Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pelihu,
very interesting article. Thank you again for this piece of information. This year, the numbers should be down because of the credit crunch (atleast for pple working in Citi, Merill and Bear)

Guess there are significant pay differences between working in NYC and India.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
That chart shows why so many people want banking. Its almost enough to sway people not really even considering it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
That chart shows why so many people want banking. Its almost enough to sway people not really even considering it.

Ya, no kidding. I don't want it because of the lifestyle, but I do love finance and I wouldn't mind 300k. However, my wife wouldn't be too happy if I worked 100 hours a week. I wouldn't be too happy either I guess. There's more to life than huge amounts of money (which I will have to keep reminding myself).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
bherronp wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Ya, no kidding. I don't want it because of the lifestyle, but I do love finance and I wouldn't mind 300k. However, my wife wouldn't be too happy if I worked 100 hours a week. I wouldn't be too happy either I guess. There's more to life than huge amounts of money (which I will have to keep reminding myself).

I look at it as 150K doing something with reasonable hours that I am very interested in or 50% of 300K after I get divorced because I am working 15 hrs a day.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I look at it as 150K doing something with reasonable hours that I am very interested in or 50% of 300K after I get divorced because I am working 15 hrs a day.

Good point. It isn't nearly as much if you only get to keep half in the end!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:

Oh yeah. No doubt about that. For a moment, I sat there, looked at the numbers and asked myself, "Why don't I want to do banking?"

Heady stuff.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would look at these numbers with the same grain of salt that I use when I read a fund's performance history. After all, 'past performance' is no indicator of future gains.

The same holds true of several of these banking salaries which include a significant 'bonus' component to them. Its all rosy and attractive in a bear cycle, but as soon as a recession hits, you will see layoffs and difficulties in landing that job or the sudden disappearance of the bonus.

Also do factor in this little thing called Income Tax and Living expenses in NYC - esp with a peer group that promotes lavish spending.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:

Yea it sure does. I've seen that chart before, and even now, every time I look at it, I can't help but wonder a little bit.... but then I think about what the lifestyle is, and I just know I wouldn't last.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Re: salaries in India after MBA [#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Was wondering about this a bit..

I guess gone are the days when one would jump in joy after getting an annual six figure sum in Indian rupees.

Whats the salary for a newly minted MBA person who returns from USA to work in IB/MC/PE. In terms of IB, I know its mostly equity research and a bit of M&A that goes on in India but sales and trading seem to be growing on..

I have been hearing some figures (inlcuding bonuses) that are almost similar to the 100k figure one earns in NYC..

Is this true? One of my Indian friends at Credit Suisse told me he earns approx $70,000 annually(including bonus) in Mumbai.

Some opinions here please... :lol:

To answer your question - it might be very possible that somebody at an Associate level is making 100k USD in India. I heard the average bonus for Associates in DSP Merrill Lynch last year was around 40 Lakhs ($100k).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think he was saying $100k all in (he gave another figure of $70k including bonus) which would be a lot less than analysts make in the US.

To BSD, these numbers are high, but not out of line with historical figures. Even in really bad years like '02 and '03, bankers were making as much or more than people in other MBA-level professions. And if you think living in NY on a banker's salary is bad, remember that the vast majority of the people who live in NY are not bankers and get by on a whole lot less. When I was in NY I knew a couple of new college grads working in consulting...ouch! They shared a 300 sq. ft. studio apartment (no partitions) and all their money went to rent. So, if you like living in a big city, it's better to make $300k than $100k.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
When I was in NY I knew a couple of new college grads working in consulting...ouch! They shared a 300 sq. ft. studio apartment (no partitions) and all their money went to rent. So, if you like living in a big city, it's better to make $300k than $100k.

I remember my brothers first apartment in NYC on the west side in the 80s. He was fresh out of college and making 23K in advertising. His place was the size of my kitchen and it cost pretty ever single cent he made. My parents had to send him money so he could eat and afford to ride the subway to and from work.

NYC is expensive but 300K could have you living nicely in a nice apartment in a desirable section of town and still have money to enjoy your life. Now 300K in Chicago and Boston goes further...make that in most other areas of the country and you will live like a king.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
bherronp wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Just wondering, where can you get 150K with reasonable hours? The only thing I can think of is senior manager in a tech firm, however most of us are trying to get out of tech not into it. If there is a job like that I want to apply!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]