Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:14 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1237 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
misterJJ2u wrote:
Hey Paul,

Well, I took your advice to heart and gave the GMAT one more try. This time I came out with a 680 (q44,v39).

I'm stoked on the overall score but bummed only because had I kept my quant at a 48 as i had done twice before, I would have broken the 700+ barrier.

Now that my GMAT is (somewhat) closer to 700, do you feel I have a competitive chance at getting into UCLA?

I'm wondering if I should rush my application for round 2 or wait, take the test again (to get my 7x0) and apply to round 3 with a stronger app.

I've already written out my essays (from last year) but need to dust 'em off to ensure I have a tight story about my leadership, charisma, team-building skills, etc.

Do I have a chance with UCLA for round 2 with a 680????

Thanks,
JJ

misterJJ2u,

You are competitive at UCLA with a 680, so don't delay just to retake the GMAT. *Do* delay if meeting the round 2 deadline means submitting a "rushed" application. You want to submit the strongest application you can. Do note, however, that odds of admission drop off for third-round applicants.

Good luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks again for the reply. I feel much more confident about submitting my application for R2 now.

Shameless plug:
I just bought your book on B-School Application Essays. Contents were great and I plan on using your book as a key resource for my essays!

-JJ
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
misterJJ2u wrote:
Thanks again for the reply. I feel much more confident about submitting my application for R2 now.

Shameless plug:
I just bought your book on B-School Application Essays. Contents were great and I plan on using your book as a key resource for my essays!

-JJ

You're very welcome and thanks for the "shameless" plug. :) If you'd consider leaving a positive review on the book's Amazon.com page, I'd be eternally in you debt.

Best of luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink]
Hi Paul,

What are you thoughts about this year's application pool?

Last I heard, from the UCLA application forum, R2 applications had hit a record number. I'm sure the slowdown of the economy had nothing to do with it (mmm hmmm) but it seems as if admittance into UCLA will be as tough as it can be this year.

I still have until the 31st to re-take the GMAT and raise my score. 680 isn't bad but I just saw that an R1 applicant got dinged and he had a 720. The only two people I know (so far) who have gotten acceptances from UCLA both had 760s.

I already submitted my application for R2 and worked day and night to get that thing polished off. However, I don't think my 680 will cut it. What are your thoughts? Re-take? What trends have you seen thus far?

-JJ (aka MisterJJ2u)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bump...

Any thoughts? Just saw that another R1 applicant for Anderson that got dinged...with a 750!

I know that everyone says schools take into account GMAT as one part of the entire applicant's package but geez...

My 680 is feeling pretty worthless at this point.
Send PM
Expert Reply
misterJJ2u,

Clearly, the schools are getting more apps then ever and selectivity rates will go down as a result. The applicant pool continues to become more and more competitive, including GMAT scores. My sense, however, is that you are drawing too tight a link between GMAT scores and dings. All things being equal, a school will take the higher GMAT applicant over the lower, but applicants are never equal. You don't know why those high GMAT folks got dinged (unless you've seen their full apps?). Maybe their essays were crap. That's a ding right there, whether you're a 780 or not. A 680 is a good enough score. If your quant and verbal scores or at or near 80th percentile then you should be fine. Since 760s are getting dinged, that suggests that raising it may not do you any real good. I am definitely not seeing any trend toward the GMAT playing a larger role in admissions decisions at the top schools then it has in the past.

Hope this helps,
GMAT Club Bot