Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've seen this Consortium thing everywhere I go.

I know this organization is to help minorities get into b school, but how does it help your chances to apply through the consoritum vs. applying by yourself?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think most of the actual benefits are realized once you are accepted to one of the 13 schools. There are a million networking, Consortium alumni, and career-centered events before and during b-school.

Their mission is technically to help place minorities in business, just through business school. So to answer your question, they don't really offer any competitive advantage to get into the schools, you still must have the stats...but once you're in you get a full tuition fellowship (ideally) and access to a lot of resources which help with internships/jobs. I think that's where the real benefit comes in which makes it better than applying to each individual school.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Actually, Consortium applicants need to fill out one application for all schools that are part of the program. They can apply to 10+ schools with just one application. I see that as the biggest benefit to begin with; I think that anyone who has filled out several applications would agree. The other benefits are as detailed. I have a friend here who has a Consortium scholarship. The do have some great networking opportunities.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah it DEFINITELY helps to have a 'common application' situation. You can apply to up to 6 of the 13 schools at once (for $150-330 which is nice). There is one application with common questions, but you have to answer at least one essay for each school you choose to apply to. So it certainly helps not to have to fill out all that background information over and over.

Hopefully this post has someone looking at the Consortium who didn't know about it. If you are fortunate enough to get in, and even better with the fellowship, then there are a lot of opportunities available.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Whaaaa?!?

Only 1 essay question?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
^^ I should be more clear...I applied to three schools through the Consortium and wrote 7 essays.

3 "Common Application" essays through the Consortium
1 for IU
1 for Emory
2 for Michigan

So all the schools get the three common questions, and each individual school sees your response to their question. So it definitely saves time, which is a plus, but I'd say 7 essays still takes time, lol.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
iamjoesargent wrote:
^^ I should be more clear...I applied to three schools through the Consortium and wrote 7 essays.

3 "Common Application" essays through the Consortium
1 for IU
1 for Emory
2 for Michigan

So all the schools get the three common questions, and each individual school sees your response to their question. So it definitely saves time, which is a plus, but I'd say 7 essays still takes time, lol.

So the specific questions that each school requires, is it identical to their regular essay quesiton or is it specific for the consortium?

Can you do more and answer every question that each school requests of the regular applicants... you know to show desire and increase your chances? I'd imagine this would give you a much bigger advantage.

Also, does each school see what other schools you've applied to?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
For Ross they also asked those two questions in the regular application. For Tuck it was just why Tuck. For the other schools I have no idea.

You can't submit essays they don't ask for. That would be like submitting extra essays on a normal application. Kind of weird. Besides they're already getting 4-5 essays from you.

Yes they know where you apply. In fact, you rank them in order of preference. That's for fellowship because only one school can award you a fellowship and your top choice gets first pick. If they decline you then second choice can give it to you etc. I'm not a huge fan of this system, but I am a huge fan of a full scholarship so what can you do....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Any Consortium applicants? [#permalink]
Sorry to bring this post out from the dead, but I recently posted a concise recap of the entire Consortium process. I think it sums things up in a good way.

I think it's important because the Consortium offers FREE TUITION FELLOWSHIPS to qualified minority (and minority-sympathetic, lol) applicants.

Check it out here
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
nice, I wish I could just write 7 essays :)

I think I hit 19 essays in the end... 7 for Haas, 4 for UCLA, 3 for Stanford, and 5 for Kellogg. Granted, there are overlaps, but still...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
iamjoesargent wrote:
I think it's important because the Consortium offers FREE TUITION FELLOWSHIPS to qualified minority (and minority-sympathetic, lol) applicants.

Check it out here

Who would qualify as minority-sympathetic applicant. Is consortium only for US applicants or for all countries?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
^ Well according to the website here are the qualifications:

1 Are African Americans, Hispanic Americans, or Native Americans or U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents of any race or ethnicity.
2 Demonstrate a commitment to The Consortium’s mission of helping to reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management.
3 Hold a four-year bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or an equivalent degree from a foreign country.

#2 is what I call 'minority sympathetic' haha. My term not theirs.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
i guess asian-americans are not minorities?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well I think you could get in under #2. Technically it's for anyone, just have to shape that story.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I applied through the Consortium and I am asian/white. I think you just need to have a story you can share as to how you've worked with minorities to support the Consortium mission. You need this no matter what your race is since it's an essay question you have to answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Any other Round 1 Applicants heard anything?

I applied to UVA, Emory, and Texas. Interviewed with UVA and Emory in mid-January. Still haven't heard anything from them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I was accepted at Ross and should hear from Tuck by next Friday.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2