Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:05 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
from what i have read on Linda and Game Plan's forums, it should not make an adverse effect.

the best person to ask is.. Linda Abraham ... she has her forum here.. just post in the Ask Accepted.com forum... MBA Game Plan may also be able to help you.

Sincerely
Praet
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72907 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Sending Scores to Schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Pkt wrote:
Does anyone know how the process by which schools recieve the scores. To be more exact, do you have to specify the schools that you want to send your scores before you start the exam. What if you had a bad day and you know you screwed up the test and decide to cancel your score. Would the school still find out that you cancelled. If so, would that be a negative factor in you application.

How does this whole thing with sending scores to schools work? :stupid

Basically, you pick schools first thing - you have 5 slots. These are drop down or list of schools, so you pick, you don't type them in. Just wanted to mention this.

As I said, you are doing that first thing, so if you feel you did a horrible job, the only choice you have is cancelling your score, however, I don't recommend this. most of the time, schools are interested in the last result.

However, here is my recommendation:
The best alternative is to skip the first part (sending scores to schools) and not pick any. Take the test. Find out your result and then order additional score reports to the schools if you did well. IT costs $25 or $40 for 5 schools but it is worth it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Another question about sending scores to schools [#permalink]
Hi BB,

From your Post I get that we have to select the 5 universities from the already existing list. My question is how is the list organized ? Is the list just names of the universities in Full ( no abbrevation) or is it organized per state.

I wanna know that so that I can write down the 5 universities I am interested in not to mess up.

thank you,
Mounika.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Another question about sending scores to schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mounika wrote:
Hi BB,

From your Post I get that we have to select the 5 universities from the already existing list. My question is how is the list organized ? Is the list just names of the universities in Full ( no abbrevation) or is it organized per state.

I wanna know that so that I can write down the 5 universities I am interested in not to mess up.

thank you,
Mounika.

It is pretty straightforward. I think they are organized by state and then alphabetically. Please correct me if I am wrong; it has been a while. usually you don't need to bring anything, just be able to recognize the school's name.

it is 5 schools or organizations. They have some organizations. i have sent my GMAT score to the World Bank or World something organization. I had one spot left.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mounika,
If you are not sure ,go with bb's recommendation of sending scores later that costs few bucks($40 for 5 schools). This will give lot of flexibility at relatively low cost.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have another related question.

Does the 5 school limit go away if you are ready to pay the additional fee? When exactly do you need to pay the fee?

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can someone answer my initial question.

Quote:
Since I didn't pick these new schools initially, I'll have to request to send my scores seperately. Would they still recieve my old scores?

To make things clear, let me rephrase it again. I take my GMAT for the 1st time and send my score to schools A, B, C, D and E. Next time, I do well and this time I send my score to school X, Y and Z only. Would X, Y and Z still see me 1st score.

Thanks
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
GoalStanford wrote:
I have another related question.

Does the 5 school limit go away if you are ready to pay the additional fee? When exactly do you need to pay the fee?

Thanks in advance.

yes, you can pay $28/school to send your reports to additional schools, but you will do it after you take the test and you can pick up a form from the administator at the test center or online.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Pkt wrote:
Can someone answer my initial question.

Quote:
Since I didn't pick these new schools initially, I'll have to request to send my scores seperately. Would they still recieve my old scores?

To make things clear, let me rephrase it again. I take my GMAT for the 1st time and send my score to schools A, B, C, D and E. Next time, I do well and this time I send my score to school X, Y and Z only. Would X, Y and Z still see me 1st score.

Thanks

YES, your last 5 test scores will be reported.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm... I guess a bad score will haunt you for the rest of your life :)
J/k... i'm sure if you have a good score, you bad scroe shouldn't hurt you too much.

Thanks guys for all the explanations.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Pkt wrote:
Hmm... I guess a bad score will haunt you for the rest of your life :)
J/k... i'm sure if you have a good score, you bad scroe shouldn't hurt you too much.

Thanks guys for all the explanations.

If you take 6 tests, your Score1 will not appear on the report. If you take 7, your first two test results will not show up on the report. etc....

so, not so much for the rest of your life, just for the first $1,000 and 5 months. YOu can take gmat only once a month.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This information is clealy given in the mba.com site.

Cancellation:

Even if you cancel your scores, a score cancellation report will be sent to the institutions you chose before the start of the exam. Infact it remains to be part of your permanant GMAT record and Cancellation report will be sent to all Universities which you choose in the later exams too.

https://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/TheE ... Scores.htm

Score reporting:

You can choose 5 insititutions to receive your scores. But this is optional. But one should remember once you choose there is no going back.

Also, only scores from 3 Most recent tests in the last 5 years will be reported. If you have taken 4 tests then you CANNOT request your first test score to be sent to schools even though it is your highest score.

https://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/TheE ... chools.htm

On the whole, most of the universities consider the highest GMAT score. There are very few schools that average the scores. In case you are in doubt you can contact the particular school to know their policy.

So logically speaking it does not make much sense to Cancel your scores. Its better to see your score so as to atleast know where you stand and how u actually did rather than assuming things.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
So I choose the five schools, even if I haven't submitted my application yet? I am taking the GMAT in a week, and plan to apply in the fall or winter but not sure. If you haven't started an app, won't the schools receive the scores and not know who you are?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
cs77 wrote:
So I choose the five schools, even if I haven't submitted my application yet? I am taking the GMAT in a week, and plan to apply in the fall or winter but not sure. If you haven't started an app, won't the schools receive the scores and not know who you are?

That's correct - they won't know who you are, but they will make a file for you - does not take much - put your name into the computer, enter your address other info that comes with the score report. Takes one student worker at $10-20/hr. As long as the score came off the official report, they no longer need to see it. The school will store the original in some huge file cabinet somewhere deep underground :)

Good luck on the GMAT!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]