Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:28 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling Stern/NYU Applicants [#permalink]
I am in the same boat guys...hopefully, this boat will start moving soon :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
It can take a while - I might have the opportunity to find something out about where they are on things in a week or so. I am going to be one of the lunch program (the school has students take interviewees out for lunch).

I think the first phase of interviews seemed to start in January, but I may be wrong. It was when I started seeing people in suits with the folder who didn't look like they were students (there were other distinctions as well!). On that basis, I think there is time still. There isn't much a break between R1 and R2, and the way they do the admit process is very much rolling, rather than the distinction you get between R1 and R2 at some schools.

Anyway, I don't think there is cause for worry yet. I was a R2 admit who interviewed about 3 months after I applied. Given that applications are meant to be high this year across the board, they might well be snowed under.

Faceman - who do you know? The reference of a current MBA and career direction makes me think I will know them.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
3under - doesn't this rolling biz cause hassles for internationals ? I mean finding out 3 month after I applied will take me well into April/May .. Which leaves me with a mere 2 months to arrange visas and my move.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
faceman.. congrats... i was wondering if you can help me out since you've been through it already.. i have my interview on feb 6th... i was wondering what kind of questions they will be asking and what the whole experience is like.. also.. how should i prepare for it... your insights would be greatly appreciate it...

for those that are wondering... here are my stats... 710 gmat.. 3 yrs we.. 3.51 gpa at a state university... asian american.. app went under review on 11/16... interview invite on 1/22...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Damn! 2+ months for an interview invite, crazy stuff.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Waitlisted without an interview!! What the hell is that, they took 2 months to tell me that.... I guess I should just remove my name from the Waitlist because I am not going to wait all the way till August.... and hopefully this will give a chance to other students who are waiting.

Good luck guys!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bsd_lover wrote:
3under - doesn't this rolling biz cause hassles for internationals ? I mean finding out 3 month after I applied will take me well into April/May .. Which leaves me with a mere 2 months to arrange visas and my move.

It takes you into April. It isn't pretty, but it gives you three months (taking end July as move) and it is all possible, but you can't afford to have anything go wrong. I would recommend having looked into how and where you are going to fund your study from, as a screw up in that costs you time. If you are all laid out you'll have time. If you screw some bits up, you have time as well.

I speak from experience (in fact my diary for the FT was on very much this part of the application process for non-US citizens).
Current Student
Send PM
wondee wrote:
faceman.. congrats... i was wondering if you can help me out since you've been through it already.. i have my interview on feb 6th... i was wondering what kind of questions they will be asking and what the whole experience is like.. also.. how should i prepare for it... your insights would be greatly appreciate it...

for those that are wondering... here are my stats... 710 gmat.. 3 yrs we.. 3.51 gpa at a state university... asian american.. app went under review on 11/16... interview invite on 1/22...

Congrats on getting an interview! NYU is the only school that I interviewed with where the interviewer had actually read my application. My overall experience was a pleasant one (but I'm sure this varies by interviewer). The best advice I can give is just to make sure you review your essays/application before you go in there because he/she will be asking you questions based on that - usually to further explain something that you've written. It's a little difficult to prepare for these questions, but if you know your application, then the answers will come naturally to you. Also, I've heard other people were asked to give very short elevator pitches to the adcom. I didn't have this experience, but one question I did get was, "What angle will you use with potential employers to get the job that you are aiming for?" Anyway, the interview was only 30 minutes and went by very quickly. I gave what I thought was an idiotic response to one question because I couldn't think of a good answer (it was about a hobby of mine), but I was able rectify that quickly. I don't think my interviewer cared though - she was very friendly and really just seemed to want to get to know me.

Also, think about what size T-shirt you want, because they give you one when you get to the office! 8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
damn!!.. After 2+ months of waiting, I am placed on waitlist (w/o interview) :(

guys, I need help!.. I welcome all the suggestions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
R1
max125 720/(7.81/10)/3.25 yrs
faceman 740/3/5yrs @matric - Admitted
vchhaochharia 720/(9.4/10)/5 yrs
gz2nyc 710/2.x/5yr (09/2008) - DWI
pats 660/3.4 GPA/4.5 yrs exp
playoptions 690/3.7/2.5 yrs w/e
Texas_Dawg 730/3.0/6 yrs
wondee
caffine
caffine's hubby
jay02

R2
Ozmba - submitted 01/13
rajpdsouza - submitting 1/14 or 1/15
bsd_lover - submitted 1/15
prospective mba - submitted 1/07
gmat_march - 720/3.66/3.5yrs@matr/Indian - submitted 1/15
ryguy904 - 680/3.8/5yrs@matr/White Boy - submitted 1/6
Audio - submitted 1/15 2 hours before deadline...
Iwannabe - submitted 1/15
skoogle - 700/5 WE/Indian/Submitted Jan 14
nyrberg - 740/3.84/3yrs/white - submitted 1/15
nupurgupt - 700/3.67/2.5yrs/indian - submitted 01/15
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
faceman wrote:
wondee wrote:

Congrats on getting an interview! NYU is the only school that I interviewed with where the interviewer had actually read my application. My overall experience was a pleasant one (but I'm sure this varies by interviewer). The best advice I can give is just to make sure you review your essays/application before you go in there because he/she will be asking you questions based on that - usually to further explain something that you've written. It's a little difficult to prepare for these questions, but if you know your application, then the answers will come naturally to you. Also, I've heard other people were asked to give very short elevator pitches to the adcom. I didn't have this experience, but one question I did get was, "What angle will you use with potential employers to get the job that you are aiming for?" Anyway, the interview was only 30 minutes and went by very quickly. I gave what I thought was an idiotic response to one question because I couldn't think of a good answer (it was about a hobby of mine), but I was able rectify that quickly. I don't think my interviewer cared though - she was very friendly and really just seemed to want to get to know me.

Also, think about what size T-shirt you want, because they give you one when you get to the office! 8-)

Cool.. thanks for the info.. after reading your thoughts and experience, i have a few more questions.. :-D do they ask a lot of questions about your job? i actually left my job back in september and have been teaching english in my motherland.. you mentioned short elevator pitch.. about what??? and, how did you answer the question, "What angle will you use with potential employers to get the job that you are aiming for?".. do you know the acceptance rate for interviewers?? thanks for your help!!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
The acceptance rate for interviewed candidates is historically quite high. I don't know whether that continues to hold this year.

I would guess the elevator pitch will be about you, and why they should invite you to join the class. That would make most sense, given the environment. Your story, as it were.
Current Student
Send PM
wondee wrote:
faceman wrote:
wondee wrote:

Cool.. thanks for the info.. after reading your thoughts and experience, i have a few more questions.. :-D do they ask a lot of questions about your job? i actually left my job back in september and have been teaching english in my motherland.. you mentioned short elevator pitch.. about what??? and, how did you answer the question, "What angle will you use with potential employers to get the job that you are aiming for?".. do you know the acceptance rate for interviewers?? thanks for your help!!!!

What 3underscore said is what I've heard as well. They really didn't spend much time asking me about my current job since they have already read the essays and seemed to know my story very well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
When I visited NYU, I heard Isser Gallogly say that acceptance rate for interviewed candidates is about 60-70%.
He said that if you are invited for an interview, the signs are VERY good.
At that point, you have to screw up somehow to not get accepted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
My first DING of the season....four more to go, hopefully with better outcomes...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
^ sorry to hear that :cry: best of luck with the other schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Sorry to hear about that ... I know Stern ding hurts some more for all the extra effort we put into essay3 and international transripts ...
Good luck for the rest ..
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  26