Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 13:22 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 13:22
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Asian MBA's [#permalink]
Decisions for HKUST have started by the sounds of it. 1 guy in another forum claims he's recieved and acceptance e-mail
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations!!

I would be grateful if you could throw some light on the interview process and your general preparation around it.
Thanks.
Current Student
Send PM
For NUS, they call you for interview invites. I had mine over skype, but their internet connection was bad so we switched over to phones.
They asked questions about Why MBA, why NUS and focused questions based on your essays and CV. They also asked me what I though India and China would be like in 30 years.

After that, waited a couple of weeks and received an e-mail to say i was accepted.

For HKUST, received an e-mail for interview invite. Interviewed over Skype a week later. Similar sort of process except CSO was also involved in the interview and questioned me on my career choices and potential. In particular they questioned me about my mandarin skills and how i could get a job without mandarin skills. After the interview they said decisions would be made in february.
Current Student
Send PM
Just discovered that NUS sponsor your spoused visa but NOT your children! Will post more information when i find out about how to get round it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
so is NUS MBA a two year or a one year one?

they give out a lot of scholarships for indians... so, how is the crowd there like.. is it well balanced internationally?

and how are placements like?
Current Student
Send PM
Its an improving school. Number of Indians look like its being capped at around 30% but they are sdmitting them from different industries and functions. There also seems to be a general preference for Indians who have had international exposure.

Placements will be relative to your previous skill set and exeperience, generally speaking it is getting stronger due to NUS's undergrad influence. Their BBA career office has merged with the MBA career office which has increased the number of visiting companies and increased the number of potential opportunities. Locally, it is very strong, and it seems to have a strong reputation in India for any Indians who wish to return.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
how long program will be taught? I have heard that tuition fee is not high (relatively), is it enough to know english language?
one more question: is it possible to stay here after graduation?
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V36
Send PM
kazakhb wrote:
how long program will be taught? I have heard that tuition fee is not high (relatively), is it enough to know english language?
one more question: is it possible to stay here after graduation?

For NUS MBA you can get the full scholarship from ADB which covers the full tuition and provides monthly living expenses. So the cost for you will be zero. Being from Central Asian country you have %99.9 chances to get in with full scholarship.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm interested also on HkUST.
I wonder if have 2-3 years of work experience and 1 year as GM at my own company... can i do an EMBA program?
Current Student
Send PM
2-3 years exp. is unlikely but you never know. Unless your company was working at a very high level.

On anothe rnote. Just got accepted into HKUST.
Current Student
Send PM
I;ve just declined the offer from NUS even though i paid a deposit. After much deliberation, HKUST is much better and provides a better student mix than NUS and chatting with some other NUS admitted students lead me to believe that the student body would not be 'mature' for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
All the best Toga !

I think HKUST scores better if you see the student body and considering you have a family in HK, then i think its a good decision.
Current Student
Send PM
HKUST have offered me a scholarship now, so that's better.
Speaking to current students, they say that this year is a lot tougher in the internship stakes due to the credit crunch. They also said there is no preferential treatment towards HKUST in the recruitment stakes as opposed to the Elite schools. The one advantage they do have is their regional excellence, a lot of chinese speakers attend therefore bilingual capability is a big pull for some of the recruiters.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:Haas R2
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
Hong Kong UST :- Personally for me, I have family in HK, so that will give me some support for my kid(s). But the main feature is the huge amount of research that comes out of this university. This means there is always potential to gain new insights into whateer field you intend to focus on. Generically speaking, the school is strong in Finance, and Hong Kong, in general, isa hotbed of activity for international companies. The main negative for some people is the focus in strongly on China, meaning some post-mba options will require you to have Mandarin speaking/writing skills. However, cost of living is cheap and the tuition costs are also low. Accommodation costs outside of the campus is high! There is a big emphasis on Business plan competitions where the school will sponsor the flights and hotel costs for them.

I applied to CUHK's MBA program because I want to take a JD at the same time. However, I keep hearing about the Kellogg-HKUST EMBA program. Is their regular full- or part-time MBA program as good? I saw their EMBA program is number 1 ranked in Asia, but it seems like their non-EMBA falls off the rankings.
Current Student
Send PM
kruton wrote:
I applied to CUHK's MBA program because I want to take a JD at the same time. However, I keep hearing about the Kellogg-HKUST EMBA program. Is their regular full- or part-time MBA program as good? I saw their EMBA program is number 1 ranked in Asia, but it seems like their non-EMBA falls off the rankings.

More to do with placements than anything else. HKUST is still relatively young (15 years) and it should be noted that the same HK faculty that teaches the EMBA also teaches the FT MBA.

Is it as good? not yet, probably due to the student body and developing reputation of the school. Regular FT MBA is competing against some of the giants, so it will take a long time to be called a global player, but it certainly is a regional giant. In terms of ROI, if you`re after a job in Asia, then HKUST will certainly give the big boys a run for their money, but if you`re after European or N.American employment... no point in HKUST
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:Haas R2
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
More to do with placements than anything else. HKUST is still relatively young (15 years) and it should be noted that the same HK faculty that teaches the EMBA also teaches the FT MBA.

Is it as good? not yet, probably due to the student body and developing reputation of the school. Regular FT MBA is competing against some of the giants, so it will take a long time to be called a global player, but it certainly is a regional giant. In terms of ROI, if you`re after a job in Asia, then HKUST will certainly give the big boys a run for their money, but if you`re after European or N.American employment... no point in HKUST

Thanks for the info. Looking at their website made me really interested and doubted my interest in CUHK. I'm not really looking for the MBA to net me a job offer since I plan on going part-time.

I'm just an average American, but I happen to have learned Cantonese. I want to stay in the APAC area for several years, so HK seems like a good fit.

I attended the intermediate Cantonese classes at CUHK last summer and fell in love with the campus. The MBA and JD campus appears to be in Central which will be a lot more convenient if I manage to get my company to transfer me to Hong Kong.

Although I'd absolutely love to be kicking it in Clearwater Bay!
Current Student
Send PM
Rejected from Kellogg, so matriculating at HKUST.

Time to budget to see what i can afford. Hopefully shold be able to get a reasonable sized apartment with child play facilities, and hopeflly a full time maid as well.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4