Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:32 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: Econ
Schools:Chicago Booth
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Re: All Cried Out [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Journey,

I know it can be discouraging, but if you want it bad enough you can improve your score.

I would really recommend a tutor. I know it can be expensive, but a good tutor can really make a big difference. The reason being is that a tutor can watch you work through problems and show you why you are making mistakes. They can also teach you the fundamentals and set up a study plan for you.

If you live near a university, I recommend looking there first. A lot of grad students tutor for the GMAT and charge very reasonable prices.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Adam6378! Tutors do work. In fact, my quant score improved in just two weeks with the help of a tutor. I'll continue to use him, but not as often because it can get pretty expensive.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
i hate to tell you this but i dont see how u can be admitted into those top schools without passing their first filter, GMAT. you have not even reached the average score
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi there,

Don't be daunted because of your low score. It just tells you that you need more time and practice.

But cheer up and don't rush.

Good Luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
You probably need to change your strategy drastically.

I think a big thing in Verbal, and even Quant , is to understand the patterns in the questions, and looking for things that are consistent and you can only do that with lots of practice and attention.

Try to understand what the GMAT is trying to test you on, and how they will try and trick you, and act against it. I think that is a big advantage for us. Sometimes by the makers always trying to trick you, it goes to our advantage. Since you can eliminate extremely "obvious" answers

The problem is how fast can you spot the trick in the question??

By your quant score it looks like you need to understand more basic level stuff. GMAT Math Bible is a good start for you.

Also pick up the Manhattan GMAT books, all of them. If you study with them you can easily raise you score 150-200 points probably within a month. Then you go from there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Kudos
4 times and you always got between 380 and 420 - that is really consistent, almost shockingly so.

I agree with the above, whatever you do, you have to change your study method drastically.

Also for those top schools you should be getting 600 on pretty much any practice CAT that is discussed here. During your studying, if you are not hitting 600 on your practice tests, you are not ready. Your final goal should be 650, high enough to not raise a red flag on your apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I know how it feels to have that B-School pressure looming on you - I've come to terms with the fact that if I DON'T get the score that I want on the GMAT the first time I take it, it's just no big deal.

I don't HAVE to get admitted into one this year, or even the next - as long as I take the time to study and get that desired score, it will be time well spent. I am not sure about other people's experiences here, but I am the only one putting the pressure on myself to go to b-school, not my parents, not my job...just me! So if you are in the same boat, then I strongly suggest you hold off and take your time as well. Hang in there! :o
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
I have a question, what did you get on AWA for the 4 tests?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
may I recommend tutot.com, yeah its for high school students but they help with anything up to Calculus. I use them all the time. Its about 40-60 cents a minute, and they will work on what ever you want at any level. I used them for precalculus, and now I am taking calculus at Baruch and still using them on difficult questions, or for a refresher on the basic concepts. Right now they have a special and you get 50 free minutes without using your credit card! So try it. They are available 24 hrs a day.

No I do not work for them, I just think there services are great!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Everyone,

Thanks so much for your feedback and suggestions. I think I'm finally learning the basics, but it'll still take some time for me to really understand everything. I haven't been able to identify the tricks for most questions, but I'm determined to get it. I just bought all the Manhattan GMAT books and will get the other books you mentioned.

Tarmac, my AWA was 5 and the recent score was 4.5.

Thanks much!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts