Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 12:30 It is currently 02 May 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Send PM
Re: Need advice in going from 690 to 720+ [#permalink]
Thanks Travel09...

I think life experiences do matter and play an important role in differentiating the applicants. However, the bar is quite high for Indians...both in terms of the competencies (scores, stats etc.) and uniqueness (ECs and life story). Since, there are soo many of applying to almost all the same schools (top10-15) that it becomes very hard to get away by being strong in one or the other. Given the sterotype, we have to get above at least 700 to have any real chance of getting our applications read seriously. We can't be just 'top' or 'unique', we have to be BOTH... :(

anyways, as for the practice...do you guys suggest I should just follow this board and do all the probelms posted here or is it worth it for me to redo all the OG problems again? I did all the probelms few times when the gave the exam last time. Last night, I did all the tough OG problems (20-25) from my error log and was able to do them. I find OG probelms to be quite easy except a few...should I just participate on the board?

also, my weak areas are pretty evenly split between DS & PS, easy & tough, and different problem types. The worst are the coordinate problems and the probability/permutation problems. are their any 'quick' study guides/notes on the forum that I can use to improve these areas.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
You are right Jay. Competition is tough. I found this forum after writing my GMAT but I'm sure you can find cheat sheets with formulas posted. You should be able to find them using the search function. But to get 49+ in quant you need to have very good fundamentals. For the co-ordinate problems and probability problems spend a day going through basics. High school math book will do fine. Once you have that covered try solving problems. As you said OG are very simple. I heard GMAT challenges are very good. I haven't used them. As for DS it requires getting used to. I hope this helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Bear in mind the GMAT score has an established standard deviation of + or - 30 points from your actual level. If you want to get your quant above the 80th p.c., then that's great. But I'm not sure if you should be retaking the test if you're just looking to raise your score by 30 points.

And it's a little odd that a q45 is 77th p.c. and a q47 (which I managed) is 81st p.c. Scoring on the quant section appears to be getting more and more competitive every 3 months!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
to be honest, I don't think you were rejected for your score. Also you will attract the wrong kind of attention from spending so much energy towards something so small.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
to be honest, I don't think you were rejected for your score. Also you will attract the wrong kind of attention from spending so much energy towards something so small.

I agree. If your score got you an interview, then that wasn't the factor that kept you out. Basically, if you meet the school's average, you are fine in terms of the GMAT.

You have to sell yourself and believe in yourself. If the current mentality you have is representative of how you came across in your interview, then I can see why it did not go very good.

Your post sounds like you are using your ethnicity as an excuse as to why you did not get in. Instead of looking at what you could do differently in the next interview, it is everyone else's fault, i.e. others from your country score higher, the interview was not fair.

Why focus on things you can not change?, i.e. your ethnicity. Focus on how you can improve yourself. That's all you have control over.

I'm not trying to be insensititve, just that if you go in with this negative perception, it will come out in the interview. Forget your nationality during the next interview. Your competition is the entire pool of applicants, not just those who apply from India.

I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive, I'm just being honest. I've taken part in interviews at my job. I can tell you that those who believe in themselves make quite an impression compared to those who deliver excuses. Remember, the GMAT does not measure motivation or persistance, at least directly. The interview, however, does. Focus on how you can demonstrate your motivation and determination.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37343 posts