Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:06 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Which UE/E schools favor young applicants? [#permalink]
What about Wharton? How do younger applicants fare there?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Younger as in 2 years or less experience is pretty much HBS, they might offer admissions with deferral. The rest are very tough, only a couple percent a year and some have zero folks with NO experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
I think Ross is also young applicant friendly

I got in Ross at 24 with less than 2 yrs of work experience
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I really can't see what somebody with 0 experience would bring to an MBA, but then again I might be mistaken.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
I can't either. But these students, bright but with no experience, are great picks for Investment Banking and Consulting companies. Make them slog 80 hour weeks, pay them good money and they will be very happy to live the jet-setting life(atleast most of them will be). A 30-year old with a wife/kids has other things more important to him than work and will not be as flexible as the young'uns.

Audio wrote:
I really can't see what somebody with 0 experience would bring to an MBA, but then again I might be mistaken.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
There were a few zero-experience admits at Stanford's Admit Weekend... HYPS undergrads with really impressive undergrad internships/entrepreneurial experiences. As probably the second-oldest person at the Admit Weekend (I think there was one older military dude), I actually thought it was pretty cool. The whippersnappers bring in a different perspective and I'm all for encountering as many viewpoints as I can during B-school.

Wharton historically has been an older-applicant-friendly school, though by report they may be changing and heading in a younger direction. I got the impression that there were many more folks in their upper 20s at Wharton's Winter Welcome than I did at Stanford's Admit Weekend, for whatever that's worth.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
terry12 wrote:
There were a few zero-experience admits at Stanford's Admit Weekend... HYPS undergrads with really impressive undergrad internships/entrepreneurial experiences. As probably the second-oldest person at the Admit Weekend (I think there was one older military dude), I actually thought it was pretty cool. The whippersnappers bring in a different perspective and I'm all for encountering as many viewpoints as I can during B-school.

Wharton historically has been an older-applicant-friendly school, though by report they may be changing and heading in a younger direction. I got the impression that there were many more folks in their upper 20s at Wharton's Winter Welcome than I did at Stanford's Admit Weekend, for whatever that's worth.

I agree with you. Additionally, the business world today is chock full of older folks who report to a manager who is younger than them. Many traditionally minded people cannot handle this, but I think it is important going forward to be able to form your opinion of a person regardless of age and experience. This is more true than ever at Stanford and Silicon Valley.
Current Student
Send PM
Hey, if I end up heading into MC or IB out of B-school, I'll almost certainly report to someone younger than me :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Audio wrote:

I (very respectfully) disagree. I've been working full-time for a little less than a year now (engineer), and the leadership/management challenges I faced as student gov't president in college, trying to lead 50 over-worked, under-rested students who had a billion other things on their mind, taught me so much more than anything I'm currently doing. That year of concentrated management and high-level organizational leadership experience is something that not many MBA students will have (unless I am seriously mistaken).

I DO believe that the working world is different from the undergrad world - I have certainly seen as much. But, to make a simplistic argument, it is much easier to tell someone to do something when they are earning a paycheck from you than when they are purely volunteering to serve your organization.

Granted, not all college students have significant leadership experiences, but I think most that are admitted to top program do, PLUS outstanding intellectual accomplishments (grades, academic awards, etc.)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
terry12 wrote:
Hey, if I end up heading into MC or IB out of B-school, I'll almost certainly report to someone younger than me :-D

I was hoping coming out of Stanford you were going to be the next Mark Zuckerberg's right hand man (COO/CFO) :)
Current Student
Send PM
msday, I am not questioning in the absolute sense whether a new graduate can contribute to the MBA experience. I am sure a lot of them bring exceptional talent with them. But, it is difficult to justify, on the basis of what an admitted student brings to the table, the trend we are seeing with B-school admissions. Where, schools are publicly declaring that they are moving towards a younger pool. I see no evidence that points to bringing in more younger candidates because they add more to the class. I cant help but think that such a move is motivated by demands in the two predominant post-MBA career destinations : IB and MC.

msday, while what you say is true: that when someone is paid to do something, they are bound to listen to you. But flip that statement and you will see that when you are leading a team of employees, their failure could end your career and make you jobless quickly. That is not a risk associated with leading students in a volunteering endeavor.

All said, I personally dont grudge younger candidates getting in at top schools and dont want anyone to think that. I think it is a great challenge for us oldies to show that we retain the drive and enthusiasm to outperform Gen-Y. :-D
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
I was hoping coming out of Stanford you were going to be the next Mark Zuckerberg's right hand man (COO/CFO) :)

Gotta have a fallback :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
I see no evidence that points to bringing in more younger candidates because they add more to the class. I cant help but think that such a move is motivated by demands in the two predominant post-MBA career destinations : IB and MC.

Definitely agree with you about IB/MC driving at least some of the desire for younger applicants. Your point about career failure when your subordinates fail is a really good one - I did not consider that, but now I see that flip side.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
This is pretty interesting. In India, one predominantly finds students with 1 years or less of work experience in B-schools. In fact, it is accepted if one attends B-schools coming right out of UG. And this has been a huge point of contention. Recently when the list of top global B-schools was released, only one Indian school made it to that list....ISB. It was a surprise when some of the older schools like IIM-Ahmedabad and IIM-Bangalore did not make it. In the 'soul-searching" that followed, ppl put it down to the negligible and irrelevant R&D that B-schools undertake and closely followed by the quaility of class-discussions due to low/non-existent WE of the students.

Now while Indian B-schools are striving to move towards greater work-experience of students, it is the opposite in US schools. I guess each is trying to find that fine balancing line.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
it's a question of balance.

trying to find the quality of student and student experience/interaction and ensuring that what the school is producing is desired by recruiters.

The trend lower will probably result in a trend higher when demand changes and companies find that the youngsters are burning out quickly. Afterall, doing an MBA after a few years work experience is a good 'career' break. If there is no career break, particularly in a high stress, long hours industry, how will people cope? I suppose we will find out....
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Does anyone know whether Duke Fuqua or Berkeley Haas are trending towards younger applicants? I am certainly interested in these schools but they seem to have a higher average number years of work experience/age than I am used to. Would I be competitive at Duke or Berkeley with 3 years of experience, considering it's good experience and the rest of my profile adds up?
Current Student
Send PM
In general it is good to have 3 to 4 years experience before applying to B-school because this allows you to gain good experience and also provides enough room to demonstrate above average career growth. Once you decide to apply to the top schools, you wouldnt be able to game your chances of admission by picking schools based on their demographic info. You will ultimately need to demonstrate fit by showing how the school will help you achieve your goals, not by demonstrating that you will fit into a statistical trend. My advice will be to forget about what schools have what trend and start researching school offerings by reaching out to current students and alumni.

terp06 wrote:
Does anyone know whether Duke Fuqua or Berkeley Haas are trending towards younger applicants? I am certainly interested in these schools but they seem to have a higher average number years of work experience/age than I am used to. Would I be competitive at Duke or Berkeley with 3 years of experience, considering it's good experience and the rest of my profile adds up?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2