Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 01:24 It is currently 01 May 2024, 01:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 409 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: What percentage of GMAT taker get 700 or more? [#permalink]
I scored a 700 a month ago, and it was 92nd percentile...that means that 8% of the scores were 700 or higher. Granted some of those are repeat takers, but I think it is reasonable to assume that relatively few people retake it after scoring 700 or higher.

Also, in response to chineseburned, if you account for the repeat takers, it would mean that LESS THAN 8% of people score 700 or higher.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
GMAT_700 wrote:
I have noticed that many people in most of the GMAT forums web sites claim that they got 700 or more.

My question is what percentage of GMAT taker can get 700 or more? Isn't it true that most of the GMAT takers get between 550 - 670!

Even though practice can help increase GMAT score, I think when it comes to answer some questions you either have it or you do not have.

For example, I read Manhattan GMATPrep three times, but I still have some problem with SC. However, I know some people who studied only OG11 for one month, took the exam, and got 700+.

Therefore, we have to be realistic and we have to set a realistic goal (score) for ourselves.

Am I wrong?

I think if you care enough to join a forum and post, odds are that you are trying hard to score well. My experience with online forums is that it caters to that few percent of people who are really passionate about the subject of the forums.

That being said, there is stuff that you can learn by preparing for a long time and there is stuff you cant. While I doubt that the gmat wants to test only innate ability, I have seen enough examples to see that it might be a pretty good factor.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
I scored a 700 a month ago, and it was 92nd percentile...that means that 8% of the scores were 700 or higher. Granted some of those are repeat takers, but I think it is reasonable to assume that relatively few people retake it after scoring 700 or higher.

Also, in response to chineseburned, if you account for the repeat takers, it would mean that LESS THAN 8% of people score 700 or higher.

Ya thats what I was thinking :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
I would assume most test repeaters scored less than 700 in their previous attempts. Assuming, they did score over 700 at a later attempt that should drive down the percentile. So, if it said 92% for a 700 score on your report, in reality although only 8% of all test scores in a given period were over 700, the number of people with a highest score of 700+ is probably higher than 8% of all test takers in the period. By how much we can only guess, but I think it's safe to add a couple of percentage points at least for a level of around 700 and below.
The only true percentile would be for scores 770+. Even 760 (the lowest 99% these days) probably includes alot of repeaters who scored less than that previously and assuming 760 is on in the very low 99%s, that means the true number people-wise might be closer to 98%.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
on this fourm, it seems like 90% reach 700+ :wink:
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37337 posts