Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Re: What will my score be? [#permalink]
Have you taken the GMATPrep yet? It's a pretty accurate indicator of how you'll score on the real thing, not to mention great practice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
Have you taken the GMATPrep yet? It's a pretty accurate indicator of how you'll score on the real thing, not to mention great practice.

Not yet, but I will within the next two weeks--definitely before I take the real test.
Current Student
 Q49  V45
Send PM
ParrotHead wrote:
YihWei wrote:

Not yet, but I will within the next two weeks--definitely before I take the real test.

My suggestion to you would be to take the GMATPrep as many times as you can before going in for the real thing. One of my biggest mistakes prior to my last GMAT attempt was not taking the GMATPrep enough times.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
My suggestion to you would be to take the GMATPrep as many times as you can before going in for the real thing. One of my biggest mistakes prior to my last GMAT attempt was not taking the GMATPrep enough times.

I definitely want to do this, but have been holding off while sharpening my Quant skills. They were so weak coming into this that I just didn't feel like taking practice tests would be very beneficial. They would get me used to the "feel" of the test, but the scores would be too low because my math was so poor.

Now that I've gotten my math skills up to a mediocre level--and since I'm short on time--I'm ready for practice tests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Send PM
Since there are different areas of quant, GMATPrep wouldnt be a bad idea to do before you brush up on your skills so you have an idea of what area to brush up on...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oh, it's all equally weak!

:oops:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Try the Manhattan GMAT series which has 5 books focused on specific areas of quant - Algebra, equations, geometry, number properties and word translations. I found these books to be extremely useful (and I already have a quant background).

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
2 tests for PowerPrep. I heard if you reinstall PowerPrep you get another 2 tests. So I don't think you will run out of tests in the short time period you have.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Okay, I took a GMATPrep test today. First time doing it.

I somehow scored 680--38Q and 45V.

In going through the Quantitative section, my heart sank. It seemed like question after question confused me. I think I was panicking, with this being my first time doing these problems on the computer with a timer instead of on paper. I honestly thought I did way worse than I did. The only thing I can figure is that I guessed fairly accurately, because I did a LOT of guessing.

Verbal I did fine on, as I had anticipated. As I mentioned earlier, I'll be relying strongly on my strong Verbal skills to make up for my weak Quantitative skills.

How is the real test compared to GMATPrep? Can I accurately count on these scores being a decent predictor?

I test in exactly one week. I'm scaling back my Verbal studying at this point and focusing pretty much solely on Quantitative. I don't think I can improve much with V, but I've got plenty of room for improvement with Q.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thats awesome score!
Don't worry. You will do good on real test after some prep.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, there's only a week left to prep!

:-)

The good thing is that I'm not trying to get into Harvard or anything. Just Florida State University, and they only require a score in the 500's. I'm just shooting for 700 for personal satisfaction.

But I'd be really disappointed to find out that the real GMAT was way harder than GMATPrep...
Current Student
 Q49  V45
Send PM
ParrotHead wrote:
Okay, I took a GMATPrep test today. First time doing it.

I somehow scored 680--38Q and 45V.

In going through the Quantitative section, my heart sank. It seemed like question after question confused me. I think I was panicking, with this being my first time doing these problems on the computer with a timer instead of on paper. I honestly thought I did way worse than I did. The only thing I can figure is that I guessed fairly accurately, because I did a LOT of guessing.

Verbal I did fine on, as I had anticipated. As I mentioned earlier, I'll be relying strongly on my strong Verbal skills to make up for my weak Quantitative skills.

How is the real test compared to GMATPrep? Can I accurately count on these scores being a decent predictor?

I test in exactly one week. I'm scaling back my Verbal studying at this point and focusing pretty much solely on Quantitative. I don't think I can improve much with V, but I've got plenty of room for improvement with Q.

The GMATPrep is about as good an indication of the real thing as you'll get. I think it's safe to say you'll score around a 680 on the real thing. The difference between my real GMAT score and my GMATPrep score was only 10 points. Give the second GMATPrep a shot and see what pops out. 45 on verbal is really impressive. I wish I had a score like that!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
The GMATPrep is about as good an indication of the real thing as you'll get. I think it's safe to say you'll score around a 680 on the real thing. The difference between my real GMAT score and my GMATPrep score was only 10 points. Give the second GMATPrep a shot and see what pops out. 45 on verbal is really impressive. I wish I had a score like that!

Thanks. I'm very good at English--and thank goodness, since my math isn't great. Although some of the Verbal points were kind of freebies, because they were questions I had already answered when working through the OG. But I got them right when doing them from the OG, so I guess it's okay for the points to count in the practice test.

I'll take the 2nd test this Wednesday, then the real test on May 3rd. I've seen people here mention that their scores can fluctuate quite a bit between GMATPrep practice tests. I won't be sure what to think if that happens to me. My Verbal shouldn't go down. Hopefully my Quant will go up a little. But I'm getting nervous because I've already spent 2 months studying intensely, focusing mostly on Quant. I don't think I will improve much during the last week beyond where I'm already at now.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Parrothead, why dont you browse the verbal forums and help some of us mere mortals who'd kill for a 40+ in verbal :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
Parrothead, why dont you browse the verbal forums and help some of us mere mortals who'd kill for a 40+ in verbal :)

That's exactly what i thought. I'll need some help with verbal. I'd definitely kill for a 45 in verbal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
bsd suggested the MGMAT books - he's right - since you have so little time before your exam, try working your way through the number properties book of MGMAT. I found it by far the best aid in terms of increasing my quant comprehension. I raised my Quant score from a 38 to a 46, and honestly the number properties book was the best help. Do it in one session and see if you can lock down a few key concepts. Then focus the rest of your time on the GMATprep tests, over and over again. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:

LOL. I'd be glad to help, but I have a hard time explaining Verbal concepts. When it comes to RC, CR, and SC, I just sort of intuitively know what's right. It's not like Quant, where there's a crystal-clear formula. But I'll drop by that board and see if I can help. I've gotten help on the Quant board, and would be glad to return the favor on the Verbal board if I can.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts