Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Re: Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink]
What about the MFin at the London School of Economics, or another school in the UK? I definitely believe that a MFin from there will open you far more doors than one in a non financial center such as New Orleans...

Just my 2 cents...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
CerealsMBA wrote:
What about the MFin at the London School of Economics, or another school in the UK? I definitely believe that a MFin from there will open you far more doors than one in a non financial center such as New Orleans...

Just my 2 cents...

I agree, you have also nothing to loose by trying LBS, Princeton, etc....

You have already one egg in your hand, and your chances may be Doable as you're a very unique international student (I may be thinking as an MBA adcom, though).

If I were you, I'd try for the big names... As I mentioned you have nothing to loose...
Current Student
 Q47  V38
Send PM
kwam wrote:
CerealsMBA wrote:

Just my 2 cents...

I agree, you have also nothing to loose by trying LBS, Princeton, etc....

You have already one egg in your hand, and your chances may be Doable as you're a very unique international student (I may be thinking as an MBA adcom, though).

If I were you, I'd try for the big names... As I mentioned you have nothing to loose...

I get what you are saying in already having the Tulane admission but, (trying not to sound ungreatful), I really do want to go to a better place, 3.2 just doesn't cut for places like LSE or Princeton, maybe for LBS but after a good deal of work exp. I still would nonetheless try LSE and Princeton, but other than that is there some other University or program that I might be over looking in my research.

And kwam, I really want to know how am I "a very unique international student", just so I can use that on my application. If you are thinking of the top ten Chess ranking, its regional and trust me Pakistan doesn't really have great Chess players.
And one more thing I didn't understand, what does "MBA adcom" mean?

Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I'll play devils advocate on this one, while I think that LBS and Princeton are better schools, you won't find better weather, culture, and people than in New Orleans. I can't stress how prestigious Tulane is to us in Louisiana, and if you look at other universities in the South it usually does well in a regional setting.

Tulane was recently ranked one of the best places to study finance by FT (I know doesn't mean much) and other than Emory, and Rice there isn't a lot of competition for Tulane in the South.

Of course I love Louisiana so I'll always be biased.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
musaabjaved wrote:
And one more thing I didn't understand, what does "MBA adcom" mean?

Someone whose job is to drive people insane with e-mails at all odd hours and whose whims and fancies decide the fate of countless others. They are also largely responsible for the shortened life expectancy of MBA applicants. And oh yeah, they invented the word 'holistic'. In other words MBA adcom = MBA Admissions Committee.
Current Student
 Q47  V38
Send PM
lsuguy7 wrote:
I'll play devils advocate on this one, while I think that LBS and Princeton are better schools, you won't find better weather, culture, and people than in New Orleans. I can't stress how prestigious Tulane is to us in Louisiana, and if you look at other universities in the South it usually does well in a regional setting.

Tulane was recently ranked one of the best places to study finance by FT (I know doesn't mean much) and other than Emory, and Rice there isn't a lot of competition for Tulane in the South.

Of course I love Louisiana so I'll always be biased.

Yes thats about all I get regarding Tulane, a wonderful setting and culture and all, very honestly thats not high on my priority as much as a culture conscious person I am. Infact its probably on the list either. My major concern as intn'l student is that I am spending a lot of money on this degree and I want to get it from a good university, something of the name tag thing as well. Does Rochester or Vanderbilt have that brand name that puts them above Tulane? And seriously to the big wigs and (those that have posted here: "sam77sam7", and "kwam", is there any chance my intn'l student profile might impress LSE or Princeton MFin? Some feedback on that would be great. I would really like to hear more from some of the Adcom sort of people? some answers to the "how to" questions, please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I think the MFin cost a lot of money for a one year degree and I don't think you're going to get the wow factor out of it that you will get from a top notch MBA. If you don't care at all about "fit" at the school and you just want the higher ranked - I'd say Vandy has an edge over Tulane as it has more of a national name. Also I think the Vandy program is shorter, so you get into the work world a little faster.

Like I said before knowing where you want to work is a big deal, if you want to work in Louisiana or Texas - I think Tulane gives you a better chance. If not not go with Vandy if you can't get into LBS or Princeton.
Current Student
 Q47  V38
Send PM
lsuguy7 wrote:
I think the MFin cost a lot of money for a one year degree and I don't think you're going to get the wow factor out of it that you will get from a top notch MBA. If you don't care at all about "fit" at the school and you just want the higher ranked - I'd say Vandy has an edge over Tulane as it has more of a national name. Also I think the Vandy program is shorter, so you get into the work world a little faster.

Like I said before knowing where you want to work is a big deal, if you want to work in Louisiana or Texas - I think Tulane gives you a better chance. If not not go with Vandy if you can't get into LBS or Princeton.

But how can you get into a top-notch MBA with no exp and a profile like mine? Is there any top notch MBA program that might be potentially willing to take me? ... what international exposure advantage card can I play to get into... A reply with a few names would be really helpful guys.

Thank you
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
lsuguy7 wrote:

I don't agree with the Wow factor completely, if you want to work in heavy quantitative trading positions an MFin or MS would give more opportunities than an MBA. I agree though that it depends on what you want to work with.

Princeton has a very small intake - 40 - and is a very prestigious institution, so competition will be tough there.
https://www.princeton.edu/bcf/graduate/faq/

The LBS MFin (the other I researched) is a very good program and from what I talked to past students placements were very good (but remember that this was before this whole credit crunch).
https://www.london.edu/mif.html

I'd say that Princeton is a Long-Shot (it is for everybody in the world, it's like Stanford's MBA). I think you're GMAT is ok (for LBS I heard that 34v and 46q are the limit), if your past school is tough in grading, it would be better to use your ranking in the class, rather than the GPA itself.

In your situation, I'd try Princeton, LBS, LSE and other schools (I think UC Berkeley has an excelent Masters in Financial Engineering). You already have Tulane in your pocket, so why not to try?

The big problem here is that unlike MBAs these MFins usually do not disclosure as much info about admitted students, so it's harder to trace a strategy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Hi musaabjaved:

If you intend to work in the USA, it's very important to consider how your M.Sc. Finance degree will affect your OPT eligibility.

Non-U.S. citizens are given 1-year "Optional Practical Training" authorization in the U.S. usually upon completion of a degree program. During this period, you can work without requiring sponsorship from an employer. If you intend to do an MSF and then an MBA at a later date, bear in mind that you'd have already used up your OPT from the MSF program, which means you would need sponsorship for an H1 Visa right out of graduation from your MBA (very tough to get, but not impossible). A fresh year of OPT is only awarded for each higher degree you obtain (e.g. Bachelors -> Masters -> PhD).

IMO, Tulane is a great school for finance. Very underrated and people seem to forget that before Hurricane Katrina, the university was churning out Wall Street talent each year. Had the New Orleans economy & the university's operations not been so severely affected by the disaster, I think Tulane would have continued to rise in reputation and rankings. Other schools I suggest:

1. Carnegie Mellon: Masters in Financial Engineering (M.F.E.) - CMU brand name, prestige in Engineering & Sciences
2. Boston College: Dual Master of Accounting/Master of Finance (M.S.A./M.Fin) - Location can't be beat. Boston downtown financial district & close to NYC.
3. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Master of Science in Finance - Close to Chicago, a major financial city.
4. Rutgers University: Master of Quantitative Finance.
Current Student
 Q47  V38
Send PM
I sort of get what you are guys are saying but its just that I don't think I am really cut out for the hardcore mathematical finance. I mean, I love finance and the math involved in it but not the other way around. I don't want to do all the coding, just a little exposure would be nice but being a quant and all is a little too much for me. So I think I will pass on those Financial engineering programs, infact on a second thought I doubt I will be able to get in the ones Loom mentioned.

What do you guy think about the M.S in Business Administration in Finance at Rochester?

Also Loom regarding the OPT, do you think an year of OPT could get me a sponsored job? If so , what are the prospects of going for a MBA few years down the line and then still getting sponsored? I hear getting a green card or residency is simply out of the question nowadays. That said could can anyone elaborate a little more on UIUC and Boston College: Dual Master of Accounting/Master of Finance (M.S.A./M.Fin) against the Tulane MFin? In fact really is Tulane considered a decent choice, because where I am coming from people really just know about the top 10 universities in US unless someone's done some research.

Looking forward to some responses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi

I just took the GMAT and got a 720. Have a 3 yr work experience and intend to apply for the MFin in LBS next year. Already have an MBA from FMS, Delhi and work with a foreign bank in the corporate banking division. Would be really helpful if someone could advise on the foll ques :

1) How realistic are my chances of getting an admit
2) Does anyone have an idea on how the placements in MIF have been post 2009

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT Date: 06-06-2015
Send PM
Applicants for Masters in Finance program [#permalink]
Hi,
I have completed my Bachelors in Engineering(Information Technology) From India. However I am interested in switching domains and jumping into finance( specifically stock trading, hedge funds etc). I have taken a GMAT date and am planning to apply for MSF program in USA and Canada. I have a few questions regarding the same.

1. Is MSF the right course for me if I am looking forward to a career in stock markets?
2. Which country will be a safe choice as OPT period after the program finishes is only 3 months in USA which means I will have only three months to get a job after which I will be asked to leave. In Canada its over a year.
3. I am currently working in an IT company and no part of my profile reflects any finance background apart from the fact that I have been trading for years.
i.Is this a reason to worry before applying to universities?
ii. Are there any courses/ Certifications that can help me get a strong profile for getting into a good university?

Kindly reply at the earliest. I have been completely confused over this from quite some time.

Thanks
Chinmay
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I know this is a late post but for all those who wish to do Master's in Finance, i would like to recommend doing it in University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD). I'm suggesting this from my own experience. There are many other streams under which you can select the Finance and Accounting Masters Degree. UOWD is an Australian based university and provide the students with both the opportunity to study overseas, and to graduate with a degree from an Australian institution.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts