Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: The 2008 ZERO admits club [#permalink]
Kudos
ashaker wrote:
This thread has really unnerved me..seems like nothing really gurantees you a spot in the top ten ! Out of morbid curiosity..How did recommenders react to dings ? Did supervisors just say-its ok , get back to work now ? Thats one of my major fears before i approach recommenders in my company. what if i go through this whole process..and then I get rejected everywhere ?!

My manager wrote my recommendation and he knows about my dings. From what I've noticed, most managers (via friends and my own experience) are quite supportive of people going to get MBAs. He continues to ask me about my progress on the waitlist and is keen that I get into school. In the meantime, he has also told me that I will be getting promoted soon, so he is not holding the fact that I am applying to business school against me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Great thread. It's just demoralising to see many great profiles here with 0 admit. This really is not a good year to be applying to b-schools. Best of luck with the waitlists.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
good luck guys, stay strong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Still waiting on 2 waitlists over here as well. Good luck to the other waitlisters.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [1]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Kudos
ashaker wrote:
This thread has really unnerved me..seems like nothing really gurantees you a spot in the top ten ! Out of morbid curiosity..How did recommenders react to dings ? Did supervisors just say-its ok , get back to work now ? Thats one of my major fears before i approach recommenders in my company. what if i go through this whole process..and then I get rejected everywhere ?!

When I spoke to my recommenders I basically showed them how competitive it is. Is some cases your talking about 14% admittance rates. I think this encourages them to do their best for you but also builds a foundation in case you don't get accepted. Especially if your in a situation where if you don't go top 10 your going to wait until next year.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
definitely apply to a "safety" school that you will go to if that's the only school you got into. If such a school doesn't exist, then be prepared to re-apply again next year if this year doens't work out...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
My piece of advice would be to really commit yourself to these schools. That means to spend a lot of time with your essays to make sure you have a polished and clear story explaining who you are, why you need an MBA, and why an MBA from that school is the logical next step. You really should visit the schools and sit in on classes. You should go to info-sessions and talk to people. If you can find a way to differentiate yourself so that adcom, current students, etc. all know how excited and gung-ho you are about the school, they will have a much harder time turning you down. If you present yourself with a weak set of essays, lifeless interview, no word of every visiting the school, etc. they will likely just ding you and pick another person who has demonstrated enthusiasm.

Put yourself into the shoes on adcom...you would pick the energetic, confident, down to earth, cool, humble, polite, and appreciative guy with good stats over the aloof person who comes in with the attitude of "you guys are lucky to have me and if you convince me, i might decide to go to your school", etc.

Good luck everyone on the WL. I know many students who have a lot of luck reapplying because the reapplication tells adcom that they really really want to go there.

RVD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Not sure if I can be considered in the club. However, I will still post

GMAT score: 760
Work Experience : 10 years
#Applications : 3
#Dings : 1
#Interviews : 2
#WL : 1
#Admit :1

Which ding hurt the most and why?
Stanford full time program after being on waitlist without interview

What next?
I am going to join the UCLA part time program (FEMBA)

Why the lack of success?
I think my age killed me. Not sure as to why Stanford didnt ding me right away but then made go thru the nightmare for 3 months.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
definitely apply to a "safety" school that you will go to if that's the only school you got into. If such a school doesn't exist, then be prepared to re-apply again next year if this year doens't work out...

or in my case, apply to several safety schools and a safety school for the safety schools :D.

Bung in a few lottery applications as well.. and that was my application gamble
SVP
SVP
Send PM
dahcrap you're not a member - you have one admit :P ... my membership on the other hand has just been consolidated. Its a ding from NYU after 2 months in the WL. I nominate myself for presidency....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
dahcrap you're not a member - you have one admit :P ... my membership on the other hand has just been consolidated. Its a ding from NYU after 2 months in the WL. I nominate myself for presidency....

badluck buddy , any hope from LBS?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:

Bsd, I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope you stay here and reapply next year. I know I'll do what I can to help and I'm sure many others would as well.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
bsd_lover wrote:
3 member all 700+ scores, goes to show how competitive life is when it comes to b-school admits.

damn, this thread makes me want to jump off a bridge. :evil:
in all fairness, everyone is aiming at top 10 here (i.e no one is applying to a nonranked program)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
I feel your pain everyone. :( But it's good to have this thread and self reflect so you can succeed next year! I also wish that the W/L folks get in later on.

But keep at it. Like Helg said, he survived 4 dings and turned it into a GSB admit! That sort of success story should be your inspiration and motivation.

I will definitely be around next year, and for you guys, I will help you review some essays and give pointers (for however much it's worth). If any of you are applying to Haas, Anderson, or Kellogg, I can definitely let you know what I thought were important. And whether I end up at Haas or Kellogg, I'll definitely try to pass on some "insider" info too, just to get you all in.

Keep at it, and PLEASE stay around the forums so we can help you out. One admit, that's all you need. :)

link please! need to get inspired!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Crap, that sucks bsd :( But like Rhyme said all of us here will do everything we can to help out. I'm sure you'll do much better this year!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks guys, I'm still waitlisted at LBS. Retaking the GMAT mid-june, maybe a higher score there will help LBS make up its mind. If not, I am mentally prepared to app across the board next year; hopefully with better essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Hey BSD, great thread. I see that you are an Aussie too - anyway, just wondering whether you wanted to get in contact and trade notes for the application season this year. I am applying in secret, as I am a career changer and don't want my work to know about it, and would love to have someone whom I can talk about with the apps process.

By the way, I know people always like to know, so here are my stats.

GMAT: 770
Yrs Experience: 7 at the end of 2008

Wishing everyone the very best in their apps.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5