Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:30 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: 690 (Q48, V36) - What happened? Kindly asking for help [#permalink]
you can download CR bin 2 for gmatter which primarily contains LSAT problems. I have the LSAT superprep and its an awesome book. I'd highly recommend it, however, why pay when you can get for free ...

To keep your quant skills fresh, purchase the gmatclub challenges. Those 25 challenges (for 80 bucks I think) will keep you busy for an entire month, especially if your Q skills are fresh from prepping for the gmat for the first time. A word of warning though, gmatclub challenges will kick your butt at first (they are called challenges for good reason), but if anything, they will improve your Q score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks BSD, I have downloaded the GMATTER and will get going on this, also bought the LSAT book.

As far as quant goes I have already done all 25 challanges which I mentioned in my post. I had around a 70% average for the whole set of them, maybe go back a review them to keep fresh? I have read many stories of people retaking only to improve one part of the gmat at the expense of another. Hope that doesnt happen to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
See my other thread - GMAT and admission to top school.

Good luck !!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Good luck sebyb, I'd highly encourage you to participate actively in the forums as well. Often observing others' thought process helps one to improve.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sebycb976,

Even I am at the same stage. Don't worry. There is scope for improvement until you reach 800.

My plan.

1) Create a perfect error log. Stick to it - Best thing to do.
2) Have you completed LSAT superperp (RC), OG11 and OG verbal and quant review? Whether you have completed it or not, do it again.
3) As bsd_lover said, participate actively in this forum. People post only tough questions here. So if we work hard, we can push that 690 to 710 or 720.
4) Have a look at 1000 SC, 1000 CR, 1000 RC when time permits.

Come on! Lets do it together.....

Leopard
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I want to and will continue to push forward.

Leopard I am with you! We can definitely nail the verbal part with a bit of extra effort and some luck :)

I have just put an order for the LSAT book and will go through the CR and RC in the book. Did you find the Logic section in the LSAT book to be helpful? I have done the entire OG, Verbal guide and quant guide from start to finish and then went back and re-did the last 30-40 problems in each. As I mentioned in my post I feel I get dimished benefit out of re-doing problems, I tend to have a really good photographic memory and will remember the answer to a question once I have seen it once. I may not always exactly understand why the answer is what it is, but once you know the answer I feel it's tougher to get the benefit of revisiting questions.

So I am looking for some new sets to practice out of, I have downloaded GMATTER and will do the 1000 CR SC and RC out of that. I have also noticed that for some reason it's tougher to do the verbal section on the computer screen than in a book. It may be the layout, or the ability of reading something on paper, regardless I feel myself spotting out right answers much easier on hard copies than on the screen. So that's where I hope the GMATTER will add some value.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Kudos
Hi sebycb976,

your story sounds VERY similar to mine. After studying initially for 2.5 months, I took the GMAT in feb after a few 730+ performances in my practice tests. I got humbled with a 690 (Q47/v36).

I then had a foray with a couple of R3 applications and got humbled yet again?

so I am back, scheduled to take the test in a few weeks. I hope 2nd time around is a better experience for me.

all the best!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Reschedule the test in a month and take it. If you were scoring higher on practice, you may just need another data point. Maybe you got a little unlucky with questions etc. You can't judge the accuracy of the verbal on gmatprep if you have seen the questions. Each question impacts your score a lot and less room for error I believe.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I want to and will continue to push forward.

Leopard I am with you! We can definitely nail the verbal part with a bit of extra effort and some luck :)

I have just put an order for the LSAT book and will go through the CR and RC in the book. Did you find the Logic section in the LSAT book to be helpful? I have done the entire OG, Verbal guide and quant guide from start to finish and then went back and re-did the last 30-40 problems in each. As I mentioned in my post I feel I get dimished benefit out of re-doing problems, I tend to have a really good photographic memory and will remember the answer to a question once I have seen it once. I may not always exactly understand why the answer is what it is, but once you know the answer I feel it's tougher to get the benefit of revisiting questions.

So I am looking for some new sets to practice out of, I have downloaded GMATTER and will do the 1000 CR SC and RC out of that. I have also noticed that for some reason it's tougher to do the verbal section on the computer screen than in a book. It may be the layout, or the ability of reading something on paper, regardless I feel myself spotting out right answers much easier on hard copies than on the screen. So that's where I hope the GMATTER will add some value.

Luck never favors me. Each time I go to Vegas, I lose :-D
LSAT is good for RC. But if you are strong in CR (accuracy 85% for tough questions), it wont be that useful.

No, you will have some benefit, if you try this new way (I got this idea when trying to give you a better reply :idea: ) When solving OG, especially verbal, explain why each incorrect answer is incorrect. We must point out all flaws. That is if there are three violations, we must explain all three. Don't worry about the correct ones. I will also try this now.
Quote:
I tend to have a really good photographic memory and will remember the answer to a question once I have seen it once
Haha. Give me the question, I will get you the answer choices :wink:
Quote:
I have also noticed that for some reason it's tougher to do the verbal section on the computer screen than in a book

I have never faced this issue, may be because I sit before the computer at least 10 hours daily.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
I have also noticed that for some reason it's tougher to do the verbal section on the computer screen than in a book

I have the same problem too. I can read faster and spot errors much better on paper. I get the same questions on the computer screen wrong when I got them right a week earlier on paper. I think it has something to do with attention span. On paper, the text are close to each other, whereas they spread out more on the computer screen. Having to scroll the text during RC is distracting, and you lose your place easily when you are in a hurry.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 347 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Quote:

That is the reason bsd_lover told me to download gmatter. I downloaded it and it is working great for me... Cos it gives me the same feel that I am looking at the PC for long periods of time with focussed attention. So it helps quite a lot....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I totally agree...thanks again by the way bsd. I'm definitely seeing the benefit of doing questions on the gmatter. Went through about 300 CR so far with a pretty good hit rate. Planning to switch over to RC next week and then SC for the final week. Doing some quant problems from the gmatclub website in between to keep my skills fresh.

Do you guys think it's worth to try to improve a Q48 score to 49-50 (which is closer to what I was getting on GMATPreps, but maybe because of some repeats) or should I focus on verbal?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Just a little warning… while you probably do need to study to do well on the gmat, I am a firm believer that the GMAT is best beaten by a fresh, energized, hungry mind.

I had a very similar situation to yours where my 1st gmat score was a good deal less than my gmat prep avg. I too rescheduled right away.

In the month I had to wait for the retake, I studied maybe 1 – 1.5 hours a day on the concepts that I was least comfortable. I don’t think I took any prep tests and I really didn’t pressurize my studying, because I believed that I was better than my first score. All I felt I needed was another shot at it.

Because I hadn’t taken 1000 prep tests in that final month, I was not burnt out for the real thing. It’s like the difference between listening to a song 10 times a day for a month vs. hearing it only once.

I did mess up my timing a bit on round two, but my final score was a 750.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
GMATPrep retakes are good for practicing on new questions. It gives false confidence.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Your quant barely dropped at all from your GMATprep scores. Going from 49 to 48 is nothing and well within the normal range.

The more you retake the GMATprep, the less the score means. You got a 710 the first time and 750 the second time (but you admitted to a bunch of lucky guesses).

You got a 690, which isn't that unexpected from what your GMATprep scores were, althought it's probably on the lower end.

The fact your verbal scores are so variable is a big concern. You need to tighten that up. It's well known that verbal scores count for more than quant scores in the final score, so its especially important to focus on that area. So schedule another test, and focus on 75% verbal, 25% quant when studying. Do enough quant to keep your skills sharp, but focus on the verbal, especially the area you are weak in (CR, SC, RC).

Good luck!!

NN
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I made a 680 yesterday and a similar story to tell. 760, 730 in Gprep and 730 and 690 in princeton tests... ended the verbal 10 minutes ahead f time and screwed it big time.. not quite if i need to reatke it... looks like this 680,690 business is screwing our minds...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Zram,

How did you feel about the verbal section overall? I was surprised to how much more difficult it seemed than the GMATPrep's verbal sections.
I also finished with some 7 minutes to spare so in retrospect maybe I should have taken it slower and focused more on the questions, I kind of rushed through it and was losing steam towards the end.

I think you can definitely re-take given your practice scores, I am in the same boat and signed up for a re-take as soon as I got home. I have been practicing verbal ever since the first test and am focusing on each subject for one week at a time, with a mix of all for the very last week. Doing some quant in between to keep it fresh.

What's your strategy?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts