Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:11 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Re: If r+s+p > 1 , Is P > 1 ? 1) P > r + s -1 2) 1-(r + [#permalink]
jallenmorris wrote:
maulikmajithia wrote:
If r+s+p > 1 , Is P > 1 ?

1) P > r + s -1
1 is insufficient because P could be -2 and r = -3, s= -4, so you'd have -2 > -8, which is true. or you could have P = 2, r = -2, s = -3, so 2 > -6. We don't know for sure if P > 1. Insufficient.

2) 1-(r + s) > 0

1-(r+2) > 0 is the same as 0 > (r + s) - 1. If this is true, AND r+s+P is greater than 1, then to get a sum greater than 1 when adding to any negative number, P must be greater than 1, therefore #2 is sufficient.

Let me clear this up. R could = .49 and S could = .5, then add them together to get 0.99, and substract 1. you get -0.01. Because (r+s)-1 is less than 0 (i.e., negative), in order to add P to it and get something greater than 1, P must be greater than 1.

According to me the answer is E - Neither is suffcient , but Mc grawhill solves it for B

It says in option 2 , if ( r + s ) < 1 then P has to be > 1

take this scenario ... If r + s = .3 and p = .8 then r + s + p > 1 yet p is not > 1

Am I overlooking something here ?

opinions pls ?

In 2), didn't you you solve the original statement for (r + s) -1 + P > 1 ? I mean, you said (for R = .49 and S = .5) that r + s - 1 = -.01. And if you add P to this in an effort to get a value larger than 1, P must be larger than 1. But you're considering r + s -1 + P in the original statement when the original statement only includes r + s + P.

Does that make sense?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@jallen morris

again ,
I take your point of view completely , but i will try and answer to your last couple of lines for option # 2

"When you approach some question like this ask yourself "In the sets of numbers that satisfy both statement #1 and the stem (r+s+p>1), is P required to be greater than 1?" If you find any set of numbers for r, s, and p that include p being less than 1, that statement is insufficient." - this is what u had to say

If we take statement #2 and the stem r+s+p>1 , P is not required to be greater than 1 , however it can also be greater than 1 . I can have numerous sets for r , s and p which includes p being less than 1 and also p being greater than 1.

set 1 - r = .15 s = .15 p = .8
set 2 - r = .2 s= .3 p = .6 etc

Set 1 and set 2 satisfy both the stem and statement # 2 yet p < 1

now set 3 = r = -2 , s = -1 , p = 4
here P needs to be greater than 1 but then as we see P can be either less than 1 or more than 1 so statement #2 is insufficient too ....

Now my problem is , whereas i see where ur explanation comes from , i cant see a problem with the values i am assuming either cos they satisfy both the stem and statement #2 ..... statement #1 we both agree is insufficient
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@smkrn

For statement # 2 - u r asking me to solve for this equation "(r + s) -1 + P > 1"? how did u get it , can u pl explain

if p + r + s > 1 then P + r + s -1 will be > 0 and not > 1
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Original Post wrote:
In 2), didn't you you solve the original statement for (r + s) -1 + P > 1 ? I mean, you said (for R = .49 and S = .5) that r + s - 1 = -.01. And if you add P to this in an effort to get a value larger than 1, P must be larger than 1. But you're considering r + s -1 + P in the original statement when the original statement only includes r + s + P.

Does that make sense?

I think what you're asking makes sense. I did use -0.01 which includes subtracting 1. If we start out with r+s+p>1

this can be changed up to find P in terms of r and s.

r+s+p>1
p> 1 - r -s (factor out a negative 1 from r -s)
p > 1 - (r+s)
See similarities between
0 > 1 - (r+s) ?

I think this means that 2 is insufficient also and the time I spent writing my prior post is moot!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
maulikmajithia wrote:
If r+s+p > 1 , Is P > 1 ?

1) P > r + s -1
2) 1-(r + s) > 0

Ok consider these cases, where we consider ONLY statement 2):

Case A:
r+s= .3
p= .8
From original statement, r+s+p = .3 + .8 = 1.1 > 1 so the original statement is met.
From statement 2), 1-(r+s) = 1- .3 = .7 > 0 so statement 2) is met.
Now is p>1? NO, p= .8

Case B:
r+s= .3
p= 1.1
From original statement, r+s+p = .3 + 1.1 = 1.4 > 1 so the original statement is met.
From statement 2), 1-(r+s) = 1 - (.3) = .8 > 0 so statement 2) is met.
Now is p>1? YES, p=1.1

So unless I'm missing something obvious, I say that statement 2) is INSUFFICIENT. In which case I think that the answer should be E. Am I missing something simple?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yeah and so we prove the mcgrawhill solved answer as wrong ... ha ha .. this one better be a test question in the actual GMAT :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
I used mcgraw hill and I don't recommend it, for this exact reason. There were too many typos. Not a ton but enough to make studying enfuriating.

Their CATs are okay just to get practice on format and timing, don't overanalyze the answers though. I noticed some questions didn't even have enough answers???? wtf
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ya, no kidding!

By the way, combining the statements, I can't get anything better than p>0. Anyone else get this?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dude , how do u rate the difficulty of the power prep tests ?

how close is it to actual gmat ?

I gave 2 CATs from power prep .. scored 710 and 700 ... does this mean i am doing decent ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Not sure if that was directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. I haven't taken any of the PowerPrep tests, so I don't know. I've only taken MGMAT practice tests so far.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts