Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Do i stand a chance in top 20 schools? [#permalink]
I totally agree jallenmorris. You can definitely get accepted to a top-20 with a 680...I know I did. Reading GMATClub and the BW forums can be a bit intimidating, because it seems like everyone has a 700+ score. My recommendation is to not worry too much and just focus on researching schools and crafting great applications.

Another bit of advice, you need to figure out how to differentiate yourself from your peers (Indians from an IT background). Figure out what makes yourself unique, and play it up a bit in your essays and interviews. Another part of this is considering schools that can round out your profile. For example, my background is in non-profit work. One of the reasons I applied to CMU because it is a quant heavy school. This will allow me to become a more well-rounded person, develop skills I do not currently possess, and demonstrate to employers that I can handle quantitative work. As such, you may want to consider some schools that are known more for their general management or soft skills.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks jbguy.

In fact i am considering the Tepper as one of my reachable schools. I am currently in the process of selecting schools and see whether i fit into the school or not.

Thanks for your suggestions
SV6
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
3 attempts? Wow. that definitely shows tenacity
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Took that stupid test 3 times and ended up with a 690 (close enough to 680). In at Stern so it can be done.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Hi Folks,
This is my first post.My profile is as follows:

Graduation Stream: Engineering(Computer Science)
Grdauation GPA :3.4
GMAT Score : 740 (Q49,V45)
TOEFL Score :Yet to take
Work Exp :3 Years now 4 Years by 2009 fall.
Industry : Techincal Consultant in ERP space.Working with one of the world's Biggest
Software conglomerates.
Foreign work stint: None

Significant
Acheivements : Took up the role of technical lead in a Japanese Implementation project barely one year into the job and completed successfully.Got the top performer award for that project. Got an ovation award given to a handful every year in my second year in service for my overall work and leadership.

Extra Curriculars :
Lots in College: Athletics Team Captain for 2 years.Part of the college relay team, which set the zonal university record which still stands(for 4 years). Office Bearer with the rank of Lance Corporal in National Cadet Corp(Army Division meant for students) for 3 years.Attended Army attachment camp for 4 weeks in college.Was the secretary of the college literary club.Was a part of the Alumni Module of the college internal ERP rollout, which got the best PCQuest : Best IT Implementation oF The Year 2007.

Very few post College: Active member of the Toast Masters club chapter of my workplace for the past 1 year.(TM is a US HQed club focusing on communication, public speaking and leadership skills). One of the Founder and key member of Old Students Association of Chinmaya Trust.(Chinmaya is the name of my school).Managed to raise nearly 2000 plus dollars in just two years of existence just from alumni(The school is just 10 years old).The trust is meant to award top performers in school and also to provide for need based scholarships for deserving students of the school.Avid cycling enthusiast.Have been Cycling 20 Kms total everyday round trip to office for the past 3 years.Have gone on numerous cycling expeditions too.(I am not sure if the cycling bit should be projected to schools)

Reasons for doing MBA: Mainly working on the Technical Scheme of things, with just a little visibility towards the actual business side.Want to move to a position where I would be working on the business side of an organization.Want to have formal knowledge about the core dimensions of businesses before I move on to a career change.(This might not be the one I post in the essays..;-) )

Colleges Targeted:

Dream: HBS
TUCK

Reach: Columbia
Stern
Cornell

Safe : UW(Micheal G Foster )

Would I stand a chance in any of these??

Any other inputs about anything is more than welcome :)
GMAT Club Bot