Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM [#permalink]
Lanter1,

In your opinion, how is Yale SOM viewed by the greater Yale community? Do SOM students mix a lot with Yale Medical School and Yale Law School students? How do Yale College undergrads view the SOM?

And more importantly - how accessible is the greater Yale alumni network to SOM students?

I ask this because I am wondering if there is some sort of inferiority complex pertaining to SOM? Yale Medical, Law, and College are ranked within the top 5, and SOM is obviously far lower ranked.

Just an example - lets say that someone went to UVA for their undergrad, and HBS for their MBA and they now work in private equity. I would find it difficult to believe that they would push aside the resumes of M7 candidates to take an interview with someone from Darden.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
First, Yale is a worldwide brand and UVA is not....no offense to UVA but that is a fact. I will give you more feedback on the student perception in the fall as I have not had much interaction with the other colleges/schools...I do know that SOM participates in the intramural events with med and law students. Also, one can take courses in the law school as an SOM student and the law students welcome the different perspective from what I have heard.

As far as alumni, I have met several and they love Yale and are willing to help in anyway possible. The MBA is in its infancy compared to other programs as it was a masters in management before. The masters in management alums have been great and threw us several parties at welcome weekend and were willing to speak with anyone.

As far as ranking, the ranking has to do with student body size, infancy of program, and the facility. Once they build the new building and increase the student body to 300, the ranking will be consistent top 10 (already top 10 with some ranking mags). They will be driving in more quality profs and they just hired ten (all from top programs...stanford, harvard, wharton, lse).

Lastly, don't choose a school strictly because it is M7. Find one that matches who you are and where you want to go.

I do agree that hiring managers (post MBA) may be more loyal to their MBA institution than their undergrad. What if you situation above were reversed?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Lanter1,

How do you view the selectivity of Yale SOM in Round 1 vs. Round 2? Is there a big difference?
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Lanter1,

How do you view the selectivity of Yale SOM in Round 1 vs. Round 2? Is there a big difference?

I think most schools like R1 students more than R2, but I heard a rumor that they only accepted 10% of applicants. If this is the case then I don't think it matters. It's tough either way.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
Lanter1,

I think most schools like R1 students more than R2, but I heard a rumor that they only accepted 10% of applicants. If this is the case then I don't think it matters. It's tough either way.

Yale's admit rate for the past year is expected to be 10%? That's crazy.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
lanter1 wrote:
terp06 wrote:
Lanter1,

Yale's admit rate for the past year is expected to be 10%? That's crazy.

That is what i was told...we probably won't have the proof until August. Also, average GMAT is supposed to be 715. i have trouble believing this one.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Wonder what the GPA is? 3.75? :)
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
They were at 4.0 except for my 3.65%...i killed the 4.0 and it's 3.98 instead. A lot of the stuff I heard was before the class was finalized.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I am new to this thread. My profile:
Chartered accountant
Working in Irevna (KPO OF Standard & Poor's) in equity research.
Past experience with Deloitte in Statutory Audits
Total Exp till date 22 months

Planning to apply for 2011 graduating class.

How does my profile look on paper for an application to Yale SOM, which is by far my No 2 target school after Darden. My concern is being employed at KPO will affect my appplication adversely? Please suggest

-M[/quote]

I am wondering about this also. Additionally, does anyone have any detailed information regarding Yale's placements into Investment Banking or Private Equity? The Bulge Bracket banks seem to love Yale. Am I correct?

Are a lot of people able to enter IB/PE on the West Coast out of Yale, or is it very NYC-centric?[/quote]

The bulge bracket does have a large presence at Yale, but there are boutique firms that recruit. They place over 25% in IB functions and 48% in diversified financial functions. PE is only about 3%, but they are trying to expand this area by bringing a top PE prof from Wharton.

I don't believe they have a large presence on the West Coast. Most students end up in NYC and Boston due to proximity, but Yale is a worldwide brand so finding positions is possible. I am interested in Charlotte and several students were placed there this year. If you have an interest in a certain area then you can find a position.[/quote]
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Build a great nonprofit/extracurricular profile as well. Yale wants socially responsible students. Working at S & P is great as the career services has a great relationship with them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
Build a great nonprofit/extracurricular profile as well. Yale wants socially responsible students. Working at S & P is great as the career services has a great relationship with them.

Thanks a lot mate
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
How do you like equity research?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
lanter1,

Just a couple of questions:

1) When will the new building open?
2) What do you expect the differences between 2009 profile would look like compared with 2008?
3) What do you think Yale loves to see in an applicant?

Thanks. Just trying to get a feel for the SOM.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
lanter1,

For extracurricular activities, do you recommend that we talk more about ugrad exp. or more about current extracurricular activities?

I have extensive ugrad and also current activities. I would think that the most current activities would carry more relevance. However, I was very active during my undergrad years and really want to emphasize that as well.

What are your thoughts?
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
lanter1,

Just a couple of questions:

1) When will the new building open?
2) What do you expect the differences between 2009 profile would look like compared with 2008?
3) What do you think Yale loves to see in an applicant?

Thanks. Just trying to get a feel for the SOM.

I am glad you are interested.

1. summer of 2010.
2. higher gmat score, more nonprofit backgrounds, and smaller class
3. extracurriculars, understanding of why b school and why yale, diversity-ethnic, regional, job function.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
mlchang616 wrote:
lanter1,

For extracurricular activities, do you recommend that we talk more about ugrad exp. or more about current extracurricular activities?

I have extensive ugrad and also current activities. I would think that the most current activities would carry more relevance. However, I was very active during my undergrad years and really want to emphasize that as well.

What are your thoughts?

I would mention both but focus more on current.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
How do you like equity research?

Apologies for late reply mate..i was busy with the earnings season coming up....Equity research is very good provided you have ur heart in it....It gives further career options as well like many guys here move to Pvt equity, or I banking etc, it gives u a strong hold on ur sector...But many later start losing interest in it for:
1) Stock price reco do not work in current market scenarios.....u never know how prices will trade as the economy is in recession.... u take recos made by firms in Jan 08 and u will see the targets given and the current performance do not match... so that way its bit disappointing.

2) Equity res being a sell side, few years down the line you find that in Buy side read in PE , i banking, asset management,making lots of money. u find many guys have shifted from here to that ............being a sell side analyst dont make that much money

3) It involves lot of travelling

4) tends to get boring,,,,same companies, same sector , same modelling adjustments, same management...

One advantage in equity research is u have a better work life balance as compared to PE or I Banking...but u have to trade it off for the fat pay cheques...

Nevertheless, depends on person to person, many say they love doing same work and gaining expertise on it and improving further...

Hope it helps
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4