Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:57 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Send PM
Re: 720 (Q47, V42) [#permalink]
gmat2ndtime wrote:
dude ..any tips for me..i have my gmat on monday the 23rd..and have still not been able to crack 700 in even one of the tests i have given ...will really appreciate...

What tests have you been taking? I would ignore all the other scores except for the GMAT prep. What is your breakdown like?

Since you're so close to the test I would focus on the areas where you are a little weak, not the areas where you are really weak. You can make a lot of progress in those areas in a short period of time.

NN
Current Student
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Congrats, way to go!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats. It's job done for you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
great stuff nognig!!!

welldone mate
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats bud - I'm shooting for the same score next week.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
congrats noging. Well done.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [1]
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Great Score!

In verbal, did you guess? If yes, what are specific question types you chose to guess?

How did you keep pace in RC? I know timing makes all the difference in this area. What worked for you here?

In GMAT, I faced CRs that are very abstract questions (none of the choice seems to be correct) than what we experience in GMat Prep or OG. Did you face such ones? How do we attack those?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
Were your RCs science passages?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Great score and nice split, NN. Congratulations!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 587 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
on those 2 GMATPrep tests you took, were there alot of repeats, in particular in the verbal?

I'd like to better gauge my performance, however it's hard for me to assess my GMATPrep scores since there are a few repeats, especially in the verbal. I know that my verbal score will be lower on the real thing, but I just want to have a better approximation by how much.

Thanks. BTW, great score!
Current Student
Send PM
vishy007 wrote:
Great Score!

In verbal, did you guess? If yes, what are specific question types you chose to guess?

I don't think I really guessed on any verbal, but there were a few questions where I wasn't really confident about my answer. I think I did it most with the SC questions.

Quote:
How did you keep pace in RC? I know timing makes all the difference in this area. What worked for you here?

Actually I think I took the timing a little too seriously. I was checking the clock every 10 minutes or so. I'd just do a quick calculation (if I'm on question 29/41, I've got 13 questions to go, if I saw 24-26 minutes left, I knew I was OK). Problem was, if I made a miscalculation, my stress level would go way up and it would really distract me from the task at hand.

I didn't really worry about timing for specific questions, I'd just check every 3-4 questions as I went along.

Quote:
In GMAT, I faced CRs that are very abstract questions (none of the choice seems to be correct) than what we experience in GMat Prep or OG. Did you face such ones? How do we attack those?

I agree 100%. I found almost all the questions in the OG11 book to be pretty obvious. I think I got 98%+ of them right, the first time. On the real thing, quite a few seemed to be a little more vague, as you put it. I initially though they were experimental questions, but apparently not.

Same thing with the GMAT prep. In both the tests I took, I got every single RC and CR question correct. The only questions I got wrong were SC. I'm pretty sure I got a few RC and CR questions wrong.

I don't think there is any easy way to attack those types of questions. I know I went back and forth a few times to see if there was something I was missing, but in the time I had, I couldn't see it.

NN
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:

Yup, but coming from a science background they were the easy ones.

There was one RC question about global warming. Another one concerned old-style capitalism vs. the current market. The third I can't remember.

I didn't find any of the RC passages particularly difficult (in terms of the reading). The questions themselves were a different story.

NN
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Schools:Life
Send PM
Kudos
awesome, congrats!!!
Current Student
Send PM
gmat blows wrote:
on those 2 GMATPrep tests you took, were there alot of repeats, in particular in the verbal?

No, none of the verbal questions repeated. That's the weird thing. I found the GMATprep verbal questions much easier.

Quote:
I'd like to better gauge my performance, however it's hard for me to assess my GMATPrep scores since there are a few repeats, especially in the verbal. I know that my verbal score will be lower on the real thing, but I just want to have a better approximation by how much.
Thanks. BTW, great score!

I wouldn't bother trying too gauge how much your score will change. I was pretty sure I was going to get somewhere between 740-760 based on my GMATprep scores, but I didn't. The only real trend I've noticed is that your final score will likely be within 20 points of your GMATprep scores.

And I'm not sure your verbal score will necessarily be lower. I've read a number of these "after action reports" and people's opinions have been all over the place. Compared to the GMATprep, some though the quant was harder, others easier and some the same. Same with the verbal.

I'm starting to think that there is a decent amount of variability in questions from test to test. I mean, they can rank a question as being a 700 level question and another as a 750 level question, but when it comes down to you, will you see them the same way?

Also, if you look at the thread where the one guy is testing out a number of techniques using the GMATprep software (do well on the first 8, or do well on the last 8, etc), you'll see that your score can vary a lot depending on when you get questions wrong. I'm convinced that if you got 10 questions wrong out of the first 20, you'll get a much lower score than if you get 20 wrong over the entire test (evenly spread out).

So it would seem that the order you get the questions can have a significant impact on your final score.

For example, I must have gotten 7-8 SC questions in a row in the first 10 questions of the verbal section. Since SC is my weakest area, did that bring down my verbal score?

Then again, you have no control over that, so why worry?

NN

Originally posted by refurb on 17 Jun 2008, 15:47.
Last edited by refurb on 17 Jun 2008, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
nognig wrote:
terp06 wrote:

There was one RC question about global warming. Another one concerned old-style capitalism vs. the current market. The third I can't remember.

I didn't find any of the RC passages particularly difficult (in terms of the reading). The questions themselves were a different story.

NN

Oh, those are interesting subjects. Was the third one regarding mating habits of insects, specific chemical reactions in the body due to a certain drug, etc.?
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
nognig wrote:
terp06 wrote:

NN

Oh, those are interesting subjects. Was the third one regarding mating habits of insects, specific chemical reactions in the body due to a certain drug, etc.?

Nope, neither one of those.

I'm sure the type of RC questions you get can have a huge impact on your score as well. Like you said, if I found the passages interesting, it was very easy to fully comprehend the subject matter and quickly choose the right answer.

Hmmm! Now I'm racking my brain trying to remember what that third passage was. Couldn't have been to interesting if I can't remember it.

NN
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats nognig ! Good verbal score.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2