Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:02 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 65 HBS Essays (I Feel Like A Schmuck) [#permalink]
I think I may just skip the HBS application. It's probably out of my league to be honest.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Its simple... The authors would want to post essays of super achievers only in their guide.. If they sell essays of normal people, their guide would look ordinary and many of the critics would end up saying the guide isnt that great... Atleast here theyre not questioned on the quality of the essays.

Doubt any book would cover essays of normal applicants..

Anyways I know Harvard admits super achievers for sure..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
there are a lot of "normal" students at any of these top schools, but they're all probably pretty accomplished in their relative fields.

I used the 65 essays book to mainly see how one can condense a lot of information within 300 words. You just have to learn to ignore the extraordinary accomplishments of those represented, and write your own story. Another way is to try to gain access to the Essay Vault and ask some people if they are willing to share some essays with you, but generally you need to be a good contributor to this site before most people will trust you enough to share the essays (or for Praet to grant you access to that area).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
...Another way is to try to gain access to the Essay Vault and ask some people if they are willing to share some essays with you, but generally you need to be a good contributor to this site before most people will trust you enough to share the essays (or for Praet to grant you access to that area).

400 posts limit hurts, but it's a great idea. (Now adding one more post to my total... :wink: )
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
I havent even cracked this open ... better get back on the application bandwagon soon or else .... :roll:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Even in other essay books, the examples they have are pretty intimidating. I'm using them more to get a feel for what the essays should be like - how should they flow, various formats used, word choice, tone, etc. hope it works! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys ... it's at least heartening to know I am not the only one who feels intimitated by the model essays.

Kryzak - thanks for the tip!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Guys after you write your essays and edit them for months you will be amazed at how polished you sound and the quality of your work experience...that is if you put enough effort into them. Its not just the material but how you present it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Guys after you write your essays and edit them for months you will be amazed at how polished you sound and the quality of your work experience...that is if you put enough effort into them. Its not just the material but how you present it.

I also agree with rr. I started reading those essays to also get a feel of how to condense essays, yet still leave impact. Those essays are pretty good though. :?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That's for the confidence boost guys. However, what intimidates me is not the quality of the writing, but the quality of the content - eg. guys who started their own business, NGO, start-up, raised $1bn in financing, etc.

My own accomplishments are somewhat more modest!

Anyway, I've decided not to apply to HBS, given their trend of going younger (I'm getting OLD!). Going to try for Wharton, MIT, Columbia, Chicago and LBS instead, plus some safeties (yet to be decided).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey ... finally got my Avatar going!! If only I could travel through time, and get the MBA Almanac that would give me the secret of getting into the top business schools ...

Actually, if I did have a time machine I'd just start a hedge fund and make a ton of money. B-school be dammed!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
bhatiagp wrote:
Its simple... The authors would want to post essays of super achievers only in their guide.. If they sell essays of normal people, their guide would look ordinary and many of the critics would end up saying the guide isnt that great... Atleast here theyre not questioned on the quality of the essays.

Doubt any book would cover essays of normal applicants..

Actually, people self select. Most people won't feel confortable sharing their essays so they don't. I guess after that the editors may or may not cut some form the final version. But I think they just include as many essays as they get volunteers.

I might go further and speculate on the correlation in between being an overachiever and sharing the essays but I won't.

L.
GMAT Club Bot