Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:36 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Re: Los Angeles area people - Happy Hour? [#permalink]
The 24th may work for me. I'll be at the Dodger game on the 31st. Otherwise, we can wait til after Maple's GMAT and celebrate that success as well!

Santa Monica/Westwood would be perfect.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Westwood would improve my chances of making it by 10x. Also, happy hour might be a little tough because I rarely leave work before 10PM but whenever you guys choose I will give it a shot.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
Westwood would improve my chances of making it by 10x. Also, happy hour might be a little tough because I rarely leave work before 10PM but whenever you guys choose I will give it a shot.

When do you go back to school?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
I live in Venice, so Santa Monica/Westwood is no problem for me...
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
pelihu wrote:

When do you go back to school?

My last day of work is 8/15. I might hang around LA for a few days, or I might take off; haven't decided yet. School starts about a week after that.
Current Student
Send PM
I think it would be cool if pelihu was able to join us. It would be nice to get a real-live top MBA student. Although he may feel like he is on the other end of a firing squad from all of the questions he'll get. Might as well change the title of this post to Q&A Session with pelihu in LA. :) As a disclaimer, I will be applying to Darden, so I have some selfish reasons for wanting to accommodate his IB schedule. :-D

In any event, my calendar is pretty flexible, so I'll go with flow here.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Guys,

Lets shoot for Thursday, July 24th in Westwood. How does 7PM sound for everyone?

I was thinking Qs or Cabo Cantina on Wilshire, although that's technically in Brentwood. If anyone has any better suggestions for places in Westwood Village that have ample parking, let me know.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
I went to UCLA...there are only two real bars in westwood village...Maloney's (now O'Hara's) and Brew Co. Both are ok...but O'Hara's is in no way conducive to conversing (but easy parking). Brew Co. is cool...but the parking will be difficult.

As you guys probably know, Cabo has happy hour till 8pm...2 for one, and the apps are pretty good. It's also on my bus route 8-) I'm cool going anywhere though!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Cabo and Q's are both walking distance from my place so both sound great to me. I think I can make 7, that's right around when I usually get home from work. Since we're meeting so close to my place I'll have to take advantage and swing home to ditch the biz clothes but I should still make it by around 7. As LA folks, you know how much we hate businesss attire! haha

edit: saw victory's post, I agree cabo has a great happy hour. They still have the 2 for 1 deal right? I haven't been to cabo in a while
Current Student
Send PM
As of now, the 24th @ 7th works for me. I'm fine with any of the places mentioned thus far.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
There are also bars attached to Accapulcos and at the W hotel (nicest in the area), among others. Westwood Brewing Co. and Accapulcos would be easiest for me location-wise. Highly unlikely I'll be able to make it anywere at 7, but we'll see.
Current Student
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
There are also bars attached to Accapulcos and at the W hotel (nicest in the area), among others. Westwood Brewing Co. and Accapulcos would be easiest for me location-wise. Highly unlikely I'll be able to make it anywere at 7, but we'll see.

Hopefully you're not staying at the W during your internship. I know you're working the IB gig and everything, but that would be flat out wrong! :lol:
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
pelihu wrote:

Hopefully you're not staying at the W during your internship. I know you're working the IB gig and everything, but that would be flat out wrong! :lol:

No, I'm not staying at the W. I went to UCLA as an undergrad, so I'm familiar enough to know that there are lots of available sublets for the summer, and where I'd like to live.

I do have a friend from school, an international student, who's working in investment management in Newport Beach and he's staying in a hotel for the summer. I can't recall off the top of my head where he was staying, but it definitely wasn't Motel 6; it was a Marriott or Hyatt or something; definitely not cheap considering the location in Orange County.
Current Student
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
I do have a friend from school, an international student, who's working in investment management in Newport Beach

Are you referring to PIMCO? If so, that's sweeeeet that he landed that place coming out of Darden. It's a tough nut to crack regardless of one's credentials. I mean they only have ~700 employees, and Alan Greenspan :shock: is consulting for them.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
pelihu wrote:
I do have a friend from school, an international student, who's working in investment management in Newport Beach

Are you referring to PIMCO? If so, that's sweeeeet that he landed that place coming out of Darden. It's a tough nut to crack regardless of one's credentials. I mean they only have ~700 employees, and Alan Greenspan :shock: is consulting for them.

Yeah, that was my first guess too. Extremely difficult shop to get into and Bill Gross is the man. I can't think of any other investment management firm in Newport Beach that could afford to do something like that :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
pelihu wrote:

What time/bar would work best for you? You're in high demand here :)
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
It's not Pimco, he's working with a stock portfolio, not fixed income. Still, a pretty good result for an international student with no ties to the West Coast. I knew he was excited to come out here.

I'd say, Westwood Brewing or Accupulcos at 10PM would be the scenario where I would most likely be able to make it. You guys should do what suits you best though, because even with an optimal situation there's a chance I could get held up at work. The good thing about this set-up would be that even if get hit with an all-nighter, I could probably slip away from an hour or something like that around 10PM, because those places are walking distance from the office.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2