Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink]
for a career switcher like me, theres no reason to delay~

I'll talk about my long/short term goals (and link them, provide the motivation behind them, etc) then I think the 'now' question naturally answers itself.

I dunno, I'm interested in hearing what others have to say as well
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
I've just dedicated about 2-3 sentences to it. I feel my "Why MBA" is very strong so I just needed to provide a little justification on why now versus 2 years from now. My main reason why now is because I changed functions/careers a year ago and I want to be able to provide relevant examples from experience from both jobs. If I waited, my experiences would be heavily weighted to my current function. Also, I know that I'm ready to take the next step in my career and an MBA is a vital part of that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
so far (this may change) I've dedicated 2-3 sentences to this in my essays. I use it to transition from what I've been doing now to what my short/long goals are. So it becomes something like: "I've been able to do xyz, now I need to learn abc and so I need an MBA".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
I struggled with this part. How many of us have reasons for pursuing an MBA that, realistically, can't wait another year? Very few, I would say. I finally opted for the, "I am finishing abc and xyz responsbilities in August (almost there!) and will then reach a natural break in my career; pursuing an MBA now will help me reach so and so goal." I didn't seem all that solid, but I doubt many other people had solid answers, either.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
I wonder also whether they have more or less preset work ex bands for people of different demographics. If you are a finance guy, two years of Ibanking is probably not going to cut it. Why would they take you when they have a host of people with two years of Ibanking and 2-3 years of PE on top of that? That would be a natural break in your career that the adcom is familiar with, so you probably don't need a great reason for applying to b-school -- they already know why you are applying. I think they are inclined to make you wait and reapply if you apply too soon despite any reason you may be able to come up with. The adcoms say they want a mix, but it seems like the profiles of people who are admitted are fairly homogenous (with the exception of a few wild cards).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I think a few sentences is enough to cover this. It will look contrived the more effort you put into this part. The why now doesn't mean why not next year, of course most people could apply next year and be okay. However if you feel your at the point that you got the most out of your current position in terms of experience, and in order to get to that next level, or get fasttracked up, you need an MBA then the Why now makes sense.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I really want to return to the Detroit, MI area after my MBA, work in a management consulting role, and help contribute to the revitalization of the area.

Hard to believe that the area may eventually recover, but I love Michigan, so I am hopeful and want to contribute. I set the urgency in my essays that the area is slowly getting worse and I feel to make a difference, I need to be back in Michigan as soon as I can.

Not an amazing reason perhaps, but it fits with my goals of helping the area in whatever capacity I can.

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
I really want to return to the Detroit, MI area after my MBA, work in a management consulting role, and help contribute to the revitalization of the area.

Hard to believe that the area may eventually recover, but I love Michigan, so I am hopeful and want to contribute. I set the urgency in my essays that the area is slowly getting worse and I feel to make a difference, I need to be back in Michigan as soon as I can.

Not an amazing reason perhaps, but it fits with my goals of helping the area in whatever capacity I can.

~Sam

I'm probably not a good judge of what's a good answer, but this definitely sounds unique, so you've got that going for you.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sudden wrote:
I struggled with this part. How many of us have reasons for pursuing an MBA that, realistically, can't wait another year? Very few, I would say. I finally opted for the, "I am finishing abc and xyz responsbilities in August (almost there!) and will then reach a natural break in my career; pursuing an MBA now will help me reach so and so goal." I didn't seem all that solid, but I doubt many other people had solid answers, either.

That's a solid answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Haven't faced this predicament yet because Columbia's goals essay doesn't explicitly emphasize on this aspect. But I think the "natural break" argument is a good one, too.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Haven't faced this predicament yet because Columbia's goals essay doesn't explicitly emphasize on this aspect. But I think the "natural break" argument is a good one, too.

I am working on my Columbia essay, too... #1 specifically....
I think a why now is needed in Essay#1, but that 750 words limit make it very hard to elaborate.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Cornell '11
Send PM
fatb wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

I think a why now is needed in Essay#1, but that 750 words limit make it very hard to elaborate.

Try 500 words w/ Ross...now that is tough..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
glettian wrote:
fatb wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Try 500 words w/ Ross...now that is tough..

Ain't that true. I've got a non-typical background so I feel a need to explain what my job entails, that takes up a good number of words. I think the biggest challenge of the Ross essay is to fit everything you want to say into 500 words.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
smkrn wrote:
I'm probably not a good judge of what's a good answer, but this definitely sounds unique, so you've got that going for you.

Thanks! Unique certainly can't hurt!
GMAT Club Bot