Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 20:49 It is currently 01 May 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMATClub's Unofficial Chartered Financial Analyst thread [#permalink]
ryguy904 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Or you could really hit the jackpot and land a job at Capital Group straight out of Columbia. It's arguably the best buy-side firm out there and it's right here in LA. Capital Group only recruits research analysts from 5 MBA programs and Columbia is one of them (H/S/W/Chi are the others).

Cap Group is a company that I will definitely look into. One of my CBS contacts actually left Cap Group to get his MBA at Columbia (he's now interning at a NY hedge fund). One of my friends (who couldn't pass Level I - tried 3X) is still working there while in the part time program at NYU.

I'm guessing neither of them were research analysts right? They recruited at my undergrad for back office jobs (results analysis associate, etc) but research analysts only come from the Top 5 MBA programs. Unlike most buy-side firms, capital group does not have any undergrad analyst positions.
Current Student
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Or you could really hit the jackpot and land a job at Capital Group straight out of Columbia. It's arguably the best buy-side firm out there and it's right here in LA. Capital Group only recruits research analysts from 5 MBA programs and Columbia is one of them (H/S/W/Chi are the others).

Cap Group is a company that I will definitely look into. One of my CBS contacts actually left Cap Group to get his MBA at Columbia (he's now interning at a NY hedge fund). One of my friends (who couldn't pass Level I - tried 3X) is still working there while in the part time program at NYU.

I'm guessing neither of them were research analysts right? They recruited at my undergrad for back office jobs (results analysis associate, etc) but research analysts only come from the Top 5 MBA programs. Unlike most buy-side firms, capital group does not have any undergrad analyst positions.

I didn't dig too deep on this (I think he mentioned it during our very first phone conversation). I'll definitely inquire more if I make it in at CBS. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
So thru the MBA app process and begining to study for the CFA Level One exam, I've been on a few analyst/associate interviews and have run up against the following question: How much modeling experience do you have?

The short answer is none.

Isn't this a catch-22? If firms are wanting modeling experience for entry level positions, where can one get the experience?? It seems like a trade that is acquired in an entry level role. Is there a good online tutorial somewhere? (assume buy side equity analysis/modeling)

In this sort of market, firms are def not interested in slowing down to get people up to speed--which is not helping those looking for a transition in the financial industry.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Send PM
hotdog wrote:
So thru the MBA app process and begining to study for the CFA Level One exam, I've been on a few analyst/associate interviews and have run up against the following question: How much modeling experience do you have?

The short answer is none.

Isn't this a catch-22? If firms are wanting modeling experience for entry level positions, where can one get the experience?? It seems like a trade that is acquired in an entry level role. Is there a good online tutorial somewhere? (assume buy side equity analysis/modeling)

In this sort of market, firms are def not interested in slowing down to get people up to speed--which is not helping those looking for a transition in the financial industry.

google these
dealmaven
wall street prep
training the street
analystexchange
investment banking institute
NYU damodaran
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I personally think Wall St. Prep is the best. It's about an 80-100 hour commitment depending on your skillset going into the program. Do you know accounting? Do you know Excel? If so, you will learn to model quickly. Basically modeling just requires you to take a bunch of financial accounting data and project it into the future. You can then manipulate your projections to reach some sort of valuation conclusion. I personally think firms make way too big a deal out of this, but I guess they have to ding people based on something.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
bump!

Hey guys.....been lurkin' here for awhile and reading the plethora of information here and finally decided to ask some questions. I figured what better place to post than in the CFA thread since I just passed. So here goes:

Passed Level 1 in June 2008 (w00t!), electrical engineer background for 3 years (2005-present), and want to make the move to finance (IM) side because engineering just ain't cuttin' it.

I had a couple of questions regarding CFA + MBA. How redundant is it to shoot for a CFA while attaining your MBA @ a school that's known for finance? I guess the good reason for enrolling in a school with a strong finance curriculum would be beneficial when it comes time for graduation and looking for a job right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
morning bump!

And good luck to all you level II and III test takers in June getting your results in 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH.......i'm scared for you, haha =P

Good luck y'all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Send PM
There is a lot of value in getting a CFA. It shows that you're pretty dedicated in trying to master financial concepts. I'd say it's complimentary to getting an MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I also think it is complementary. You will get more depth in an MBA finance program, but the CFA will give you breadth. There is definitely some overlap, but you won't be wasting your time if you do both. That being said, I think you should consider CFA + general management MBA or some other MBA focus. You need a pretty broad skillset to succeed in finance: accounting, econ, finance, general business, quant and strong communication skills.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Send PM
damn, my friend is a beast. passed CFA 3 for 3. :shock:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
3 for 3 is impressive.

How did the rest of the gmatclub fair on the exam? Good luck to you all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just got my results -- 3 for 3 in 18 months! Not bad for a state school liberal arts major.

Special thanks to ryguy for calming me down after the third exam. Walking out of the test center on June 7th, I felt like I had been kicked in the nuts, but I actually smashed the exam. FEELS GREAT TO BE DONE!

Like ryguy, I would like to be a resource for any CFA hopefuls or candidates around here, so please feel free to ask questions or drop me a line via PM.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Major congrats!

:wave

sudden wrote:
Just got my results -- 3 for 3 in 18 months! Not bad for a state school liberal arts major.

Special thanks to ryguy for calming me down after the third exam. Walking out of the test center on June 7th, I felt like I had been kicked in the nuts, but I actually smashed the exam. FEELS GREAT TO BE DONE!

Like ryguy, I would like to be a resource for any CFA hopefuls or candidates around here, so please feel free to ask questions or drop me a line via PM.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Passed level 2
Current Student
Send PM
Woooooooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woohoo

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Passed level 2
Manager
Manager
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Passed level 2

Kudos. That is a big hurdle. 2/3rds of the way there! Good job.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
With LII and LIII pass rates of 46% and 53%, respectively, you both have a lot to be proud of. Congrats on your efforts.

Ihate - good luck next year.

ryguy - I have a lot of CFA Level II and III resources (2000-x exams, CFAI questions sorted by topic and chapter, etc.). If you're interested in using them in your prep work, let me know.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts